PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze everywhere!

86ccord
01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Ok soo my car has been acting a lil funny engine wise so i went to where i work ( Tractor Supply Co.) to pick up some seafoam.. well i was paying for it and i was walking out.. i had a ice cold soda in one hand and my new seafoam in the other.. and i went to my beautiful blue car and i noticed a liquid substance underneath it.. so im like hmmm.. then i looked a lil closer when i got there and it was GREEN.. i was pissed.. it was anitfreeze all over the place.. so i pop the hood.. look around didnt see anything.. so i took off my radiator cap dumped some water in there and started my car up. As i was looking for the leak in my hoses i finnally saw it.. and when i did it shot me in the face.. i was pissed.. so i stopped the car.. called my dad and asked him whats up..and he told me he would be there in an hour.. so i took the leaky hose off.. it was the bottom heater hose and as i was taking it off the heater switch the damn thing broke off into pieces..i was even more pissed.. so my dad got there and took me to the autoparts store.. and they luckly had everything i needed.. a new hose..a new heater switch..and some antifreeze.. all for $75.00
so then i put it all on.. backed my car up and looked and thought.." what am i going to do with all the antifreeze on the ground.." and i did not think twice about it.. i got into my car.. and dipped out.. :)

but yeah.. thats how my day went.. i was even more pissed... :lol:

itzdave
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
been there before...

86ccord
01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
yeah.. it sucks.. really bad..lol i felt like a bum in the parking lot.. :}

cubert
01-15-2008, 05:54 PM
yea...antifreeze is a nasty chemical..right up there with brake fluid..

my VW made a habit of blowing coolant hoses...usually in heavy traffic or on the highway 50 miles from home....

Ichiban
01-15-2008, 05:56 PM
You should have been there when my water pump actually EXPLODED at the gas pump at 7-11. I'd shut the truck off and was reaching for the gas pump when I hear "POP!...SPLOOSH!". Stupid piece of shit actually barfed coolant out the grille. I decided the truck didn't deserve gas and went inside for a big jug of water instead, and limped it home about 3 minutes down the street.

So I feel your pain.

86ccord
01-15-2008, 06:43 PM
haha wow i dont feel so bad anymore.. but yeah.. do what you got to do.. but yeah.. for the next few days i have to ride around with a bottle of antifreeze in my trunk..:lol:

itzdave
01-15-2008, 06:51 PM
ha! right after i put my header on i hit 5 oclock trafic, in a construction zone, when it was hot outside,and i dont have any radiator fans. the big plug thing for the egr tube came out and it got REALLY hot really quick. traffic was already down to two lanes, with nowhere to pull off, and i over heated and shut the highway down to one lane!!! yea, it pissed a few people off. i felt so shitty.

Civic Accord Honda
01-15-2008, 07:12 PM
iv luckay neverhad a hose die on me did have a raditor get a hole in it and driiving around town with it pissing out every where and at every stop sign hoping out with a 5gal bucket of water and pouring it in to the rad .. also had a water pump expolde on the subaru , 2nd gen accord , geo metro lol

russiankid
01-15-2008, 07:15 PM
That sucks. This is the prime reason why my brother and I replaced all of the cooling hoses on my 3gee:D

MessyHonda
01-16-2008, 12:32 AM
yeah i had the same problem....i went to school and i keepd on getting like a few drops of coolent but i could not see where it was coming from....then the next day same thing but this time it was a stream...thats when i found out my headgasket went....i didnt have a car for almost a month till my uncle got it fixed...he has saved me lots of money because a shop wanted almost 1400 bucks for just the stupid headgasket. also on my lx-i my water pump gave out...had to replace it...also did the timing belt and the 2 drive belts while i was in that area...oh yeah...my adjustable cam gear also.

86ccord
01-16-2008, 03:11 AM
whew.. wow my egr valve is acting up also.. and i dont know what i should do to fix it.. cause like when im driving.. and my car gets to a certain temperature it starts to.. jerk and do crazy stuff.. and its real annooying.. my dad thinks it could be the egr valve or ive got water in the carb.. so idk.. anyone have any ideas?

2oodoor
01-16-2008, 04:24 AM
^^^ could be a thermovalve not operating, does it still do it now that you have fixed the leak?

tractor supply ... I love that place.... it seems like they woulda had the stuff you need to fix that right there though.
odd as it may sound, that is where I get my best clothes from.. lol .. cool western cut shirts that actually fit people.

86ccord
01-16-2008, 02:31 PM
nah tractor supply we just carry the tune up and oil and the routine stuff for your car.. nothing such as hoses and the lil heater switch.. but yeah im not going to lie we do sell some nice clothes.. but i just dont like their pants.. idk.. but i love working there..

hmm.. well i drove it today to school.. and i was thinking about it all day long and it drove fine.. the temp. gauge didnt seem to do anything un normal.. and when i got to my gf's house i popped the hood and looked in the radiator and it seemed a lil low.. but it could be due to a lil bit still in the hoses/engine.. so but yes it still does jerk.. so idk.. we are still trying to figure it out.. but yeah if anyone has any ideas or know what it is.. holla at me..

2oodoor
01-17-2008, 04:46 AM
usually egr valves make problems at idle, but they can act up some when you are driving.. feels like a tugging or something, we call it trailering because it feels like you have a trailer behind you. If your idle is ok, try pluging off the vac line to the egr , that will keep it closed for testing.
Otherwise a good fuel system tune up , all filters etc. would be what I try next..

an btw yep the pant are not cool, I just like the shirts lol.

snoopyloopy
01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
heh, that happened to my friend. she blew her heater hose too, had me change it for her.
and i've been there myself. be lucky it wasn't one of those useless hoses connected to the im. those are a royal pain to change. i've changed damn near every coolant hose on these cars.

russiankid
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
heh, that happened to my friend. she blew her heater hose too, had me change it for her.
and i've been there myself. be lucky it wasn't one of those useless hoses connected to the im. those are a royal pain to change. i've changed damn near every coolant hose on these cars.

Yes indeed, those hoses are a PIA. I replaced the ones under the intake for the bypass valve, boy were they a bitch. Come to think of it, we've replaced all of the hoses now:wave:

86ccord
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
hey roodoo.. you said somthin about the thermovalve hose? yes? well i have three.. which is it? lol

w261w261
01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
<.......and (I) looked and thought.." what am i going to do with all the antifreeze on the ground.." and i did not think twice about it.. i got into my car.. and dipped out.....>

Well, let's make a charitable assumption and assume that you didn't know that ethylene glycol is both very sweet and very poisonous. A stray dog walking by would be attracted to it, and as little as a teaspoon can be fatal, depending on the size of the animal. If you've ever seen a dog die of poisoning, it's not a pretty sight, and it doesn't happen quickly.

Everyone has that impulse...to walk away from the mess that they've made, particularly when they don't think they'll be caught. Leaving a bag of used fast food on the road is one thing, but leaving something that can kill an animal is another. So next time do "think twice about it."

2oodoor
01-21-2008, 05:25 AM
hey roodoo.. you said somthin about the thermovalve hose? yes? well i have three.. which is it? lol

well it could be any of them, they all are vacuum switches that are thermally controlled by the engine temp. They route vacuum to and from carburator controls ,emmison controls, and vacuum advance timing. I do not have the diagram in front of me now, but I recommend you have a look at the factory manual to get an idea.
Does the problem have specific pattern about it, like what are the conditions when the car acts up?