PDA

View Full Version : Front Tilt Engine vs Rear Tilt Engine

3gaccord86
09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
i am new to the hondas and to the import world. i noticed that my car which is a 86 accord hatchback with 2.0 carb engine, the engine is tilting foward toward the radiator support, on newer hondas the engine is tilting back toward the fire wall . question is: can you use a rear tilt engine in this car? i realize that i may have to make new mounts and what ever comes up .

thanks guys for your input!

3gaccord86
09-18-2002, 04:51 PM
some hondas have the engine tilting toward the front of the car like my 86 accord 2.0 with carb . some hondas have the engine tilting toward the rear . can the two engines be swaped? why does honda do this? i am new to the honda/import world so iam trying to understand these cars and the way they work.

thanks for your info guys!!

Dutchboy
09-18-2002, 10:25 PM
i think that it has soething to do with the way the engine spins. as in which direction the actual motor turns..
..the reverse tilt will probably have the exhaust in the rear and the front in the front...
ummm...im not sure of anything else but since theres been no response i thought id say what i think I know at least...
:huh:
Ben

chiller670
09-19-2002, 09:51 PM
all i know is that the old prelude engine work with our cars.

YK86
09-19-2002, 10:38 PM
If you can get the proper mounts, you can make anything fit but it's a matter of how much you have to spend. The 3rd gen Lude tilts back but it spins the same way as the Accord's forward tilting motor. Don't really know why they made it tilt different though.

night
09-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by YK86
Don't really know why they made it tilt different though.

hood lines. lets the car be much 'sleeker'. the 3gen lude is the biggest example. compare it vs the 2gen

smufguy
09-20-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Dutchboy
i think that it has soething to do with the way the engine spins. as in which direction the actual motor turns..
..the reverse tilt will probably have the exhaust in the rear and the front in the front...
ummm...im not sure of anything else but since theres been no response i thought id say what i think I know at least...
:huh:
Ben

its not always true. If ur talking in cars in general, open the hood of a 90 camry or even a 99 camry. The engine leans back to the firewall, has the exhaust manifold is in the front towards the radiator.

theBeline
09-20-2002, 01:51 PM
ok, read the three posts at the top, I got nailed with the same question. If you have got the money, then.... right, anything IS possible. But, for the rear tilt engins anyway, theres gonna be ALOT of metal to pound and some serious cash flowing to get it to work. As with me, going with a B16A (1,2,3,4, whatever, I'm getting prices with now, just not a hydro) at about 160hp, that'll replace the A20A I've got under the hood now at around 90hp. Not to mention that with an engine like the B16, it came out right when the 'scene' got really started and there are ALOT of aftermarket parts for it. With some pennys and patience you can get WICKED numbers out of that block. But look around, there are a couple of other blocks that'll do REAL well with a good pricetag as well. Just read up!

madmod89lxi
10-05-2002, 10:27 PM
whats the big deal with $$$$$ and swaps buy a elder u can geta mig at wal mart 4 crying out loud get some balls and cut it up weld it together."ALL THE REALLY KEWL KIDS ARE DOING IT" hehe

smufguy
10-06-2002, 04:42 AM
buying a welder is not the solution, cause how many of us know how to use a welder? and welder is not easy as a hot glue gun buddy. It takes a long time for a first hand ammature welder to weld the shit. Personally, i dont weld. But with SAE, i do prepare the surface for welding. and trust me, taking the paint off, filing it and wire brushing it, its hella hard. I gotta do the same with my box frame pretty soon. Itsa a bitch and not all of us have that talent of welding.

why am i talking about all this crap? read the post above mine.

Bobs89LXi
10-06-2002, 05:48 AM
Night is correct. It all has to do with lower hoodlines.