PDA

View Full Version : valve cover gasket - use RTV sealant or not?

AC439
01-18-2008, 05:17 AM
Hi...I have to change the cracked valve cover gasket and got a Fel-Pro from Advance auto yesterday. The package says install seal dry "without chemical adhesive". I'd like to use some RTV sealant to improve the sealing especially at the front side and the corner that has been leaking to the timing belt cover. So, should I use RTV sealant or not? Thanks. -AC

russiankid
01-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Yes you should. What i did i put the gasket onto the cover, then i ran a thin bead of HondaBond or RTV around the whole gasket. I do not have any leaks. A thin bead will not hurt anything as long as you allow it to dry.

Make sure to clean the surface on the head really well, and tighten the nuts holding the cover from the center out. Tighten the nuts evenly, meaning do not tighten the center one all the way and then the outers. I did them by hand first then i did a few turns on each one with a ratchet until they were tight.

2drSE-i
01-18-2008, 08:15 AM
you can, it wont hurt anything. I put mine on dry and its been 10k miles and i dont have any leaks. Mine leaked in the same place yours did, as well as all over the front (leaked onto the exhaust manifold....sucked)

2oodoor
01-18-2008, 09:23 AM
The cover is supposed to be able to come off without having to replace the gasket, in a perfect world.
To service valve lash.
I use HI Tack adhesive on the cover then stuck the rubber gasket to it.
Hi Tack stays wet and sticky for long enough to get things put together, it does not build up excess and it does not squeeze the new rubber gasket out. It works kinda like weatherstrip glue (gorilla snot) , just easier to deal with IMO

cygnus x-1
01-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Most of the gasket will be ok dry but the corners are sometimes a problem. I used a little RTV at the corners on the head to help there. Definitely make sure the mating surfaces are absolutely clean.

C|