PDA

View Full Version : pressure plate problems

dXsquared
09-18-2002, 05:27 PM
i finished my Prelude tranny swap in 8 hours... i get the car put back together and let it idle to operating temp. i check that all gears are good and set clutch free play. then i get in my car and cruise the strip for a few mins then book it to the high way. i redlined every gear except 5th. i was doin 190 kmh for 5 mins and i get off the highway and head home... i get to a stoplight and my clutch pedal drops. NO MORE CLUTCH!!! i first think of th ecable then i check if the arm moves when i hit the pedal... it does so i yell and scream at my POS car and then head home clutchless. i get home and have the tranny on the ground in and hour. the fuckin preasure plate caved in. i get it off the motor and then the forks go normal b4 i even see it. WTF???:wtf:
so if anyone can explain why the presure plate caved then poped back lemme know.
Travis

BoredRec
09-18-2002, 05:41 PM
Huh...beats the hell outta me (I know that statement probably helped...) I woulda checked the cable first, to make sure it was seated properly when you adjusted it. I've had that happen to me a few times, where the cable wasn't seated right, and I'd go drive it and it would find it's normal spot and I wouldn't have a clutch anymore. Then you gotta stop and readjust the cable and continue on your merry way.

dXsquared
09-18-2002, 05:48 PM
the cable was ok and i need to know about the Pressure plate... not the cable. i had no clutch... i could push the pedal all the way down and have no clutch
THE DAMN PRESSURE PLATE!!!!!!!
Travis
PS im gonna put it back togeter fter work and try again

Dutchboy
09-18-2002, 06:16 PM
was this also a new clutch that you installed???

if so there is a break in period for them so beating the snot out if right away would probably have heaated it up a ton ,,,
or else theres a difference in the clutch arms or something..

i had a friend who swapped a tranny in a a truck 5speed to a 4 speed and the arms were differnet lenghts and he had used the one from the 5sp....anyway after a few months the pressure plate failed due to the bearing not hitting it the right way...

thats all that i can think of...
BEn

shepherd79
09-18-2002, 07:01 PM
what kind clutch did you install?

dXsquared
09-19-2002, 03:23 PM
the clutch was new. and i just ordered a new one for free and i will go easy on this one. the clutch was a OE one. i got the whole kit. plate, clutch disc and throwout bearing... i also got a pilot if i needed to get a new flywheel. thanx for any responses... help is help no matter what!
Travis

dXsquared
09-19-2002, 04:51 PM
no more?
Travis