PDA

View Full Version : Two odd sounds

nfs480
01-19-2008, 01:38 PM
This thread is going to cover two completely different sounds coming from different places on the car, just figured I would keep things together to keep it simple.

First, every so often when i'm driving i'll hear a "thoing" vibrating-like sound occur and i'll feel it through the floor. It sounds like something in the front suspension but I don't know what. It happens every couple of minutes and doesn't happen every time I hit a bump, but it usually happens more when i'm turning.

Second, when I get to above about 30 mph I hear this light fast-paced clicking noise coming from under my dash that is continuous for the entire time i'm driving.

Are these things to worry about and what could they be and how do I fix them?

steveko
01-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Mabey a strut spring. 2nd noise could be the speedometer or cable.

nfs480
01-19-2008, 03:51 PM
If it's the strut spring could this sound be indicative of something dangerous, or can I let it be for a while. Also, about how much would that be to fix, or is it something I can do myself?

steveko
01-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Depends on you're mechcanical ability tools and time.Of course too save time as far as the spring is concerned you could take it off and have a shop compress the spring too take it apart.For a fee,or rent the tool and do it yourself.
If in fact that is the problem.You could get away without fixing it for awhile not a big concern the front end will sag and evetually blow out the shock if it isn't already shot.

rockridersrule
01-28-2008, 05:37 AM
the front sound could also be a CV joint.. my car would even bounce when myne went out. look at the ruber boot on the CV housing on the side the sound comes from.

Purple_A20A1
04-20-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm having the same continuous clicking (almost grinding) sound under load... replaced the wheel bearings and axles and it is still there. I thought for sure it was going to be the axle, but now I'm thinking timing related issue. I'll keep you posted if I find the answer to this unusual problem.

Oldblueaccord
04-21-2008, 06:04 AM
One thing to look at is brake pads and clips rubbing the rotor. The clips sometimes can rub the top part of the rotor and make a nasty noise. Brake dust shield could also rub making a terrible sound. They get bumped when working on the front end pretty easy.

wp

nfs480
04-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm having the same continuous clicking (almost grinding) sound under load... replaced the wheel bearings and axles and it is still there. I thought for sure it was going to be the axle, but now I'm thinking timing related issue. I'll keep you posted if I find the answer to this unusual problem.

Yeah, mine sounds like that but it usually only happens when I get above 30 mph. It also sounds like it's coming form in the dash so I think it's the speedo cable, at least in my case. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet to see if it helps though. But yeah, definitely keep me posted just in case they do turn out to be the same.

BITESIZE
04-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, mine sounds like that but it usually only happens when I get above 30 mph. It also sounds like it's coming form in the dash so I think it's the speedo cable, at least in my case. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet to see if it helps though. But yeah, definitely keep me posted just in case they do turn out to be the same.

Just turn up your stereo.:welcome:

nfs480
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Just turn up your stereo.:welcome:

lol, that's exactly what i've been doing. Now that i've gotten the amp replaced, before was the first time I had noticed it simply because the radio hadn't worked. Who knows how long this has been going on! :lol:

BITESIZE
04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Is the noise more annoying than concerning?

nfs480
04-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Is the noise more annoying than concerning?

Yeah, I figure at worst the speedometer will stop working if it's the speedo cable. Then i'll just replace the cable and it will be no big deal.