PDA

View Full Version : water pump last one year?!!!

sunofogun
01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Check this out last November I changed my water pump with one from Advance auto and I swear to you it is so loud right now. I put a stethoscope on it and its pretty damn loud. I also listened to the alternator which I changed in July and that doesnt sound too great either. Is it possible for the bearing to go bad in a wp in one year?! and wouldnt it have some play? I tried prying on the pulley and I got nuttin. Pretty messed up in my opinion. Also either my distributor or my camshaft is making noise too. Has anyone had their cam make noise? I don't believe theres anything there to make a noise really, its just hard to diagnose cause theyre right next to each other. I tried using the stethoscope on bot h sides.

russiankid
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Do you know what brand water pump? My previous water pump lasted about 35,000 miles, and it was not a GMB or a Honda pump.

sunofogun
01-21-2008, 04:41 PM
im pretty sure it was reman, it was like 35 bucks I think lol

russiankid
01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
im pretty sure it was reman, it was like 35 bucks I think lol

Yea i wouldn't be surprised on the fact that it will go early. They actually make reman pumps? I would advise getting a new one.

sunofogun
01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
what about the cam making noise, is that possible? because my ignitor went bad and I got a cardone diz ( lol I know they suck) but I put it on and it sounded crappy too. at time my original one wasnt making noise so i swapped the ignitor out and sent it back as defectivelol I did notice all the orange dust inside so the dizzy is probably pretty damn old

russiankid
01-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Orange dust is not a good sign. What kind of noise is it? Can you elaborate more on the noise? The only noise i hear when my engine is running are the valves, but that is only if i listen closely.

sunofogun
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
it sounds pretty much like a bearing noise, its funny at the same time I got the real loud bearing type noise from the water pump area and the noise from the diz area, the distributor noise sounds a little more chirpy the water pump area sounds more like groggle groggle

russiankid
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Change the water pump first to eliminate that noise, then you can diagnose the other noise.

sunofogun
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
well the two noises are clearly coming from two different places

russiankid
01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
well the two noises are clearly coming from two different placesIt'll still be easier, try fixing one problem at a time not two at the same time. Go to a junkyard and get a dizzy, see if the noise goes away.

cubert
01-21-2008, 06:40 PM
its very possible the water pump went bad after a year...my father did 4 water pumps over the course of TWO MONTHS on his girlfriends dodge caravan...moral of the story? Use genuine brand parts...

sunofogun
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
wow! thats just unacceptable, how long do you think I have to drive on it with it making noise constantly?

Pico
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Definitely go OEM or a good quality Japanese water pump.
Not worth the time or hassle on purchasing a rebuild even if the warranty is lifetime.

russiankid
01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
wow! thats just unacceptable, how long do you think I have to drive on it with it making noise constantly?

Not sure, but not long. Mine started leaked and squeaking so i got a Honda pump ASAP. I've had my Honda one for more than a year and no problem.

sunofogun
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM
yeah its weird cause last time mine was leaking but not making a sound, and you think if it was so loud there would be some play in the shaft/ and or pulley

charliekuney
10-11-2010, 04:35 PM
What's with you and bringing up old, random threads and promoting that website?

AccordEpicenter
10-12-2010, 03:37 PM
yeah i would have to agree on this one. in fact i couldn't agree more.. i can only imagine how these forums are littered with stories that could have otherwise been prevented had they acquired genuine dodge caravan parts (http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw/dodge~caravan~parts.html) or other such parts.

BAN! :bandance::madflip: