PDA

View Full Version : driving techniques

dXsquared
09-18-2002, 06:00 PM
how do u come to a stop sign?
i was drivin with a friend and he clutches it and just uses the brakes! i downshift and leave the clutch engaged right to 1000 rpm.
Travis

Dutchboy
09-18-2002, 06:04 PM
i usually keep her going till im almost stopped or else coast after pulling it out of gear without the clutch and then once stopped put it in gear

BEn

shepherd79
09-18-2002, 06:47 PM
i always use engine to help with braking.
it helps in the winter. tires never get locked up.

1989 DX R
09-18-2002, 07:36 PM
I do a bit of both. Depends on how fast im going.

pimp86LX
09-18-2002, 07:59 PM
in an emergency, while slowing right about lock-up i'll downshift like yur mom tuggin me and it really helps to slow down quick

but usually i'll clutch it

p.s. i don't really konw your mom

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-18-2002, 08:10 PM
I slowly take my foot of the gas pedal and slowly apply it on the brake! Works Wonders try it sometimes :lol

netfreak
09-18-2002, 09:29 PM
D4 all the way

Jerren
09-18-2002, 10:05 PM
i just throw my automatic into park or reverse, depending on how fast i'm going.:rolleyes:

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-18-2002, 10:20 PM
I always just drop it down into N and use the brakes. I used to downshift alot more, but I want my clutch to last as long as possible so I got out of the habit. And brake pads are alot cheaper (and easier!) to replace than clutches! :)

88WhiteLX-i
09-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Jerren
i just throw my automatic into park or reverse, depending on how fast i'm going.:rolleyes:

HOLY SHIT, ME TOO!!!

:chainsaw: <-----------Automatic Transmission

DarknessRS
09-18-2002, 10:50 PM
When I'm driving normally, I brake and just stay in whatever gear I'm in then cluth around 2000 rpms or so.

When I'm driving for fun, I heel toe or use power downshifts when braking.

Site
09-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
I always just drop it down into N and use the brakes.
I do the same. I will downshift when going down steep hills, but not when coming to a stop.

87pimpsterdocious
09-19-2002, 02:35 PM
I always just drop it down into N and use the brakes. I used to downshift alot more, but I want my clutch to last as long as possible so I got out of the habit. And brake pads are alot cheaper (and easier!) to replace than clutches! :)

For real, i was always like "it's a lot cheaper to replace the brake pads then the clutch."

A20A1
09-19-2002, 06:18 PM
I just pull the E-brake and watch the world go by... :D

accordboricua
09-19-2002, 08:30 PM
I only downshift in an emergency. Once, I was racing and a truck got in front, I hit the brakes, but they got so hot they stopped gripping the disc so I down shifted to 2nd...saved my ass. But as many say, save ur clutch...use brakes.

Chubs87Accord
09-19-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
I slowly take my foot of the gas pedal and slowly apply it on the brake! Works Wonders try it sometimes :lol

:werd::stupid:

87accordlxph
09-20-2002, 08:21 AM
I always try to use all front disc brakes because they are the most easiest to replace besides the rear drum brakes.
Sometimes... not always will I downshift and brake to match the rps so that I save the clutch.

Mostly I use all front braking.
If I go too fast front brakes and e brake only.

In the winter. I downshift more than braking. I will not drive fast in winter weather. If I do go too fast I will apply the parking brake with front braking and downshift. Works very smoothly and expect a no tire "lock-up".

-Mike

ACCORD EX
09-20-2002, 11:00 AM
u push the clutch nad press the brakes !

downshifting and braking while clutch is engaged is not good !

braking with clutch engaged means > you are slowing down the wheels + the flywheel ( the engine ) which makes a stress on the clutch disc and pressure plate )

braking while pressing the clutch means > you are slowing down the wheels only and the engine is running seperately !!

MIKE

markmdz89hatch
09-20-2002, 04:46 PM

I agree and disagree...
True, just pushing the clutch, and dropping to a lower gear, and releasing the clutch wll work wonders on beating the piss outa ur clutch. But, if you add an extra step in there, you get the best of both worlds, you save the clutch, and brakes at the same time. Just push clutch, bring to lower gear, (with clutch still in) blip trottle, and release clutch. That makes the rpm match from the higher gear, so there's little to no added stress on the clutch, and from then on, it's just the engine/flywheel that slows it down.

89lxihb 00lude
09-22-2002, 12:50 PM
alway keep it in gear in case of an emergency
your safety tip of the day LOL

locknload68
09-23-2002, 04:54 PM
I just leave in the gear I am currently in along with the brakes. When I don't have the engine braking, it feels like I'm just flying along without enough stopping power. Don't take that the wrong way, my brakes are good, I'm just used to the added resistance of the engine.

tyne89
09-25-2002, 03:38 PM
i drive an auto and i usually down shift to 3 than 2 to slow down if i feel like having fun. the added bonus is my brake lights dont go on you if someone slams into me and totals the car I GET A NEW ONE!!!! :)

Neuspeed87lx
09-25-2002, 07:27 PM
i always just put it into neutral and use the breaks...i only use the motor to slow me down if i need to stop quickly or im going down a steep hill..

kudd
10-01-2002, 05:18 AM
I always downshift. Been doing it for 34 years and never worn out a clutch yet from it.

I might be totally confused, but I believe the forces that wear a clutch are practically non-existant during a downshift, tho I s'pose that if you work your clutch slowly enough you can still wear it.

Anyhow, the only clutch I ever wore out was when plowing snow with a '68 6 cyl. Bronco.

On dirt bikes you don't even need to use yer clutch to downshift, so I gotta try it in the 3-g and see what happens.

dXsquared
10-05-2002, 09:15 PM
wow... this poll is huge... i wasnt expecting it to get so huge!
wow. i guess using the brakes only isnt that bad but i will downshift until the day i die!
Travis

Reptile
10-06-2002, 06:38 PM
mines an auto so the second one.

dXsquared
10-11-2002, 07:27 PM
godamn! this is cool... its a tie! i think that the clutch disengage thing is bad because if there is an emergancy and u need power, u wont have it.
Travis

anchovies
10-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 87accordlxph
I always try to use all front disc brakes because they are the most easiest to replace besides the rear drum brakes.
Mostly I use all front braking.
If I go too fast front brakes and e brake only.
-Mike
You can't just use the front brakes. All four provide the braking power when you step on the brake pedal.
Though, you can just use the rear brakes with the handbrakes.

dXsquared
10-12-2002, 03:02 PM
i noticed that as well. i just didnt say n e thin. let them thank what they want!!
Travis

87AccordsterLx
10-13-2002, 10:01 AM
Im not sure about this but... I heard that when you apply the regular break... that it uses all of the front breaks and a percentage of the rear...??? Is this true? Does anyone know for sure? .... Thats why you usually have to replace the front and not thr back as often....

dXsquared
10-13-2002, 10:26 PM
it uses all the rear too. jsut in porportion. when u push the pedal, more braking power(fluid) is applied to the front. all the shoe is used in the rear... its just not as hard pussed as the front!
Travis

anchovies
10-14-2002, 09:31 AM
yeah that's why we have proportioning valve

merlindavis
10-14-2002, 10:54 PM
when braking while moving forwards, if the braking power isn't proportionately favoring the front brakes, you will lock your rear brakes and have less stopping power... because of physics and weight transfer, your front brakes end up doing 70-90 percent of the work... go something like 10mph going forwards, then slam on the brakes, see how long it takes you to stop... now, do the same thing going backwards at the same speed, i bet it takes you longer to stop... if you had a 50/50 f/r brake bias, you would be constantly locking up your rear wheels...

as for downshifting to stop, i do it in my lude... saves my brakes for when i need them in an emergency... i would rather be able to slam on my brakes and stop than have to downshift to stop in an emergency... hard as it may be to believe, downshifting while stepping on the brake is actually easier on your clutch than accelerating... when accelerating, your clutch needs to hold on as more and more pressure gets put on it as you accelerate harder... your engine naturally wants to be at low revs, the only thing stopping it from being at low rev all the time is the throttle cable... when you're off the throttle, as you should be when stopping, you're engine tries to slow itself down... using the brakes to help slow the car down while in gear takes load off the engine and therefore off the clutch...

so, in conclusion... downshifting while braking saves your clutch and your brakes... it's a nice median between killing your brakes, and, well, killing your brakes...

Caddy
11-14-2002, 12:09 AM
Yep he's right.

87accordlxph
11-14-2002, 09:20 AM
I think I replied to this one before?

87AccordsterLx
11-14-2002, 09:29 AM
someone did some major digging to bring this back to life...

mgirl69
11-14-2002, 07:49 PM
Ummmmm sometimes i hit the brakes...sometimes downshift to d3...use the engine as a break (good for those cops...they dont c break lights) then i shift to d2 is i need too...but usually i drive "normal" and use the breaks...

btw, this post is mad funny...i cracked up with the "put it into part or reverse..." doesnt that f*** your transmission up....HELLO hhaha

87AccordsterLx
11-14-2002, 09:31 PM
hell ya.. I love it when girls are into cars... !!! well it definitly screws up your tranny... the only time I shift into 2nd is when Im already in it.. that way I can let it out when I want and not when my ECU wants to....

maka_RTH
01-03-2003, 06:18 AM
lol i just tipped the poll! anyways, when i had my stick, i usually downshifted cuz i thought it was fun and it sounded a lot better. with my auto i just brake though

tref
01-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Yeah I will always downshift. I drive a manual and always downshift. I had my clutch checked and it is just like new. The car has 192k miles on it and has always been downshifted. I downshift the car all the way to the stop light I only use the breaks when im going about 5 mph, thats why they are in such good condition still.
Anyone that downshifts get dirty looks from people around you because your car makes that bad ass rev sound?

1986hbdx
01-03-2003, 05:46 PM
I just sink the clutch and brake. i do not put it in N becaues if i want to drive off it is quicker. What i do is not safe beacue if some one hit me in the back(at a full stop on the clutch in first) i can slip my foot off the clutch and hit the person in front of me.

89accordboi
01-03-2003, 10:25 PM
i think u can stop the fastest when you throw it in reverse and pull ur e-brake all the way up, it works the best.

buzzbomber88lx
01-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Either just california stop the stop sign or just run the damn thing (j/k)

HondaManDan
01-04-2003, 11:05 PM
well, everytime i've driven standard i've clutched it and hit the brakes.... is this bad?? if im on the highway and i need to slow up dramatically i'll downshift... or when it's snowing.. but normaly, in around town driving, i tend to just clutch and brake...
with my automatic, jump off the gass, jump on the brake... but same thing with the bad weather or high speeds.. i tend to drop down to D3... I noticed One thing though.. up in Mass, we just got hit with a 15 inch snowstorm.. I drive my car in 2 all the time and i've never lost traction once... it helps with going up hills or starting off in slushy stuff... however i am limited to around 30-35mph...

HondaManDan
01-04-2003, 11:05 PM
well, everytime i've driven standard i've clutched it and hit the brakes.... is this bad?? if im on the highway and i need to slow up dramatically i'll downshift... or when it's snowing.. but normaly, in around town driving, i tend to just clutch and brake...
with my automatic, jump off the gass, jump on the brake... but same thing with the bad weather or high speeds.. i tend to drop down to D3... I noticed One thing though.. up in Mass, we just got hit with a 15 inch snowstorm.. I drive my car in 2 all the time and i've never lost traction once... it helps with going up hills or starting off in slushy stuff... however i am limited to around 30-35mph...

od2681
01-07-2003, 10:53 AM
shift into neutral and then use the brakes lightly from a long distance...usually piss off the people behind me...
hey DarknessRS
did you draw that silvia???

LX-i Girl
01-08-2003, 11:47 AM
i use to downshift all the way, but now i throw it into neutral and brake. i just got a new clutch and i wanna keep it in decent condition. like one guy already said, brake pads are much cheaper!

BMS
02-18-2003, 09:21 PM
It doesn't feel like a stick if you just brake. It's bad to manually downshift an automatic. You don't slow down half as much by blipping, which is done so that you don't slow down when racing. Exhaust sound best when downshifting.

AccordEpicenter
02-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Yeah the exaust does sound cooler but id rather be replacing brake pads instead of clutches... Its kinda fun to downshift but normally around town id just use the brakes

rideredorgohome
02-19-2003, 05:02 PM
i was always taught to save the clutch as much as possible, I get off of it as fast as i can without being jerky with it. like the other people say, the brake pads are cheaper than a clutch job. Sometimes though I do downshift by blipping the throttle to the right rpm, like for a corner. Is it bad though to use the brakes to slow down for a minute or two, like while in first waiting for a car to pass?