PDA

View Full Version : another manifold I'm fabricating..

Accordtheory
01-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I've also put this up on h-t, but I figured you guys might be curious to see some random fab work too. Fully argon backpurged, collector welded inside and out. I'm being kind of perfectionistic on this one, I don't want criticism on h-t, this one will be for sale. I don't know how I'm going to do this one for sure, but I'm thinking it will be kind of a shorty style equal length setup, consistent with the short collector.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_37_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_38_full.jpg

coope
01-22-2008, 07:25 PM
nice

MessyHonda
01-22-2008, 07:41 PM
looks tasty

labeledsk8r
01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
looks good

Accordtheory
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Well, sure enough, I got flamed on h-t again with this one. They said I used too much heat, didn't clean the metal "at all", and the welds are "contaminated". What a crock of shit. I'm so sick of posting on hater-tech.com. Of course the outside of the collector is going to look hot when you weld the inside too. And the "contamination"? Comes right off. That's like saying a weld with flux core wire is "contaminated".
I wish I still had an a20 lying around, I'd make a manifold for it and sell it to one of you guys on here. F ebay and F honda-tech..ebay doesn't get buyers who pay and nothing is ever good enough on h-t. And most of the people who hate? They can't/haven't made the shit they're criticizing.

labeledsk8r
01-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, sure enough, I got flamed on h-t again with this one. They said I used too much heat, didn't clean the metal "at all", and the welds are "contaminated". What a crock of shit. I'm so sick of posting on hater-tech.com. Of course the outside of the collector is going to look hot when you weld the inside too. And the "contamination"? Comes right off. That's like saying a weld with flux core wire is "contaminated".
I wish I still had an a20 lying around, I'd make a manifold for it and sell it to one of you guys on here. F ebay and F honda-tech..ebay doesn't get buyers who pay and nothing is ever good enough on h-t. And most of the people who hate? They can't/haven't made the shit they're criticizing.

exact reason i dont post on honda tech, 50% of the guys on there dont even own a tool set but feel its there place to coment on other peoples work,man fuck honda tech do your thing and dont listen to those ass hats, the colector looks nice. hell i hope that when i have my next accord go turbo that i can make welds even half as clean...

Civic Accord Honda
01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
why the hell u posting on honda-tech they dont know shit over there. 95% think a wing adds 452 HP

TWOLOUDNPROUD
01-23-2008, 02:38 PM
:cheers:

2ndGenGuy
01-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Man nice work! That piece looks top notch. Tell those Honda Tech guys to go shove it up their asses. Most of them wouldn't know a real Honda if it ran them over or what real work looked like if you threw it at them. Hey you should post us a link to the H-T thread so we can go tell them how it is. :D Fuck those look as good as machine welds, I don't think you can get much better than that!

2oodoor
01-23-2008, 04:15 PM

agree 500 percent with you on that one

bunch of repeaters = ht populus
kinda like our local news on tv in the morning, they just read the paper at 5am and repeat what ever the paper says on tv at 6 am

Nice work on the manifold,
as long as you dont have any brittle spots that may split later on , or porus welds that can leak later on after some pressurized corrosive gas has gone thru it a couple hundred hours, or untensioned shapes that may settle and pop after as many heat cycles blah blah blah. LOL

[LoD]Miseryland
01-23-2008, 05:20 PM
That looks sexy, and fuck hondatech, or better yet, introduce them to one of the last measures, anyone criticizing that is welcome to an hero themselves, ugh even though i dont know alot about cars in general i feel you for having to put up with shit from retarded shitheads who dont know what their talking about

cygnus x-1
01-23-2008, 06:39 PM
I found the thread over there and read their comments. What they said might be correct (I wouldn't know since I have only enough welding experience to stick bits of steel together with a MIG. well, usually they stick together). I would take the criticism for what it's worth and try to build on it.

One silly question about cleaning with a wire wheel though. Is your wire wheel clean? Meaning does it have any grease or oil on it? How about the tubing? I've had a time or two when I was trying to use a wire wheel to remove powder coating, and it mostly just melted it and smushed it around. Grease or oil might have a similar effect. Far fetched maybe, but it's a thought.

C|

Accordtheory
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
weird, my other post totally disappeared, wtf??
Yeah, I was bitching before the thread really started to go. Now it's cool, there are definitely some people who know a lot about this type of thing, hopefully I can get a better as a result of posting on there. I was just pissed when the first couple people said that it didn't look like I cleaned anything at all, I used too much heat, when the real discoloration/dullness happened on the outside after I did the inside, which so far, they haven't addressed, and that my welds were contaminated, as if the collector is going to disintegrate or something. I also checked out the pics by robbbby or whatever, the dude who said I didn't clean, and his collector doesn't look better, or cleaner than mine. You can't really see it, due to the angle of his pics (purposefully?) but I still spotted some shit from him hitting the metal/filler with the torch tip, and he used a lot of filler too. A lot of filler doesn't hurt, but people don't like how it looks.

Accordtheory
01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Now I'm pissed becasue I can't build the manifold like how I wanted. I wanted to build it like the lovefab mini me eq, but thanks to my stupid accord and its giant multiple crossmembers being right in the way, I can't use its chassis as a template for that design..ugghh. I don't want to build a top mount, I want to build something easier this time, so I can concentrate more on access to and quality of the welds.

2drSE-i
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
can you not convert to some tubular crossmembers, or is it completely in the way?

AccordEpicenter
01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
ill say it again, fuck Honda Tech, they flame everybody if your not a JDM or Full Race sackrider. Too many douchebags on that site. There is some good info, but far more bullshit than good info. Anyway, that collector looks good, probably toooo good to be posted on here for DIY stuff rofl. Very nice work accordtheory.

Accordtheory
01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, thanks, I appreciate it. I do welcome criticism too, it just has to be explained and make sense. I wish those dudes had told me straight up what I'm finally starting to learn, but hey, that's not their fault. I'm finally learning how to pulse the pedal, how to not move the torch away too soon, how to not heat soak the flanges and warp shit, and how to backpurge so it actually works, but I'm still having trouble with my shaky hands. I remember when I was 19, I used to have a problem where if my foot was on the clutch, my toe would start to shake, then it would spread to my whole foot, then my whole leg, and I'd have to take my foot off the clutch because I couldn't even hold it, no joke. I don't know wtf was wrong with me. Thank goodness that doesn't happen anymore, but 7 years later I'm still doing shit that requires absolute precision motor control, and struggling at it. Fuck me, lol. Anyway, here are a few more pics. I still have to figure out where I'm going to put the wastegate.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_39_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_40_full.jpg

Chuoiz
01-25-2008, 10:21 PM
good work man...hope these can be for sale soon...I've been trying to find someone to weld me up a turbo manifold but no luck..I have some ideas of my own how to make a shorty with more equal lenghts...instead of having the two inner runners connect to the closer port on the flange, I would just have those welded on the far side of the flange and have the outer runners welded under the inner runners to the closer ports of the flange...anyway just an idea...

knarg
01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
really nice looking welds!

2oodoor
01-26-2008, 02:29 AM
ref. post #17
That looks pretty difficult, you did good ! That is a hard piece to control heat with the welding.
You said something about pulsing a pedal, are you tig welding? I pulse the trigger with mig to keep things moving but cool.

MessyHonda
01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
you need to start making some manifolds for us...they look good...something that will not mess with my power stearing

AccordEpicenter
01-27-2008, 10:31 AM
siqqqqq. Nice mani!!

Accordtheory
01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
And here we go, pics of the final product. It's now for sale on ebay..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_41_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_42_full.jpg
This is the best pic..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_43_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_44_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_45_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_46_full.jpg

Accordtheory
01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
good work man...hope these can be for sale soon...I've been trying to find someone to weld me up a turbo manifold but no luck..I have some ideas of my own how to make a shorty with more equal lenghts...instead of having the two inner runners connect to the closer port on the flange, I would just have those welded on the far side of the flange and have the outer runners welded under the inner runners to the closer ports of the flange...anyway just an idea...

That's actually how I was going to do it at first, I mentioned the lovefab mini me eq, that's how that is, but I just ended up liking the simplicity of the way I did it more. The eq design requires the whole collector to be cut at an angle to the flange for overall fitment, it's kind of weird, and I didn't like that. I would like to make some manifolds for the a20, but I couldn't guarantee the fitment, I don't have an a20 my car. I made this manifold without any templates/test fitting at all, I just kind of copied pics I've seen and took a guess at it. If I were to make an a20 manifold, it would be a ramhorn, to keep the turbo high enough to stay off that stupid crossmember.

mykwikcoupe
01-28-2008, 09:04 PM
ok so its one ebay. How an I supposed to find it? How about a link man. Also, if you would like some more practice and some extra green. I can send you a few flanged and you can make me a manifold for my b20a. Id guess fitment would be similar to your b series as far placeemant. Im not sure of the design name I want but is the lovechild of your and a short ramhorn. I saw the design on a post by weirtech on here. Annyways, if your interested shoot me a PM. No bullshit either that manifold looks dope.

lostforawhile
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
hey looks good,fuck honda tec these same guys said my manifold and carbs looked like shit. they couldn't build a set if they had a snap together set. keep up the work glad to see some real work on here lately,we need more posts like this to get people exited about their cars again, when my money comes in from the tax thing it's off to z therapy with my carbs. then i can post some pics of my stuff on the motor.

LX-incredible
01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Beautiful work!

87roach
01-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Looks really good man, it just keeps getting better :D

Accordtheory
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
ok so its one ebay. How an I supposed to find it? How about a link man. Also, if you would like some more practice and some extra green. I can send you a few flanged and you can make me a manifold for my b20a. Id guess fitment would be similar to your b series as far placeemant. Im not sure of the design name I want but is the lovechild of your and a short ramhorn. I saw the design on a post by weirtech on here. Annyways, if your interested shoot me a PM. No bullshit either that manifold looks dope.

I didn't post a link because since it's for a b series and will not fit the accord chassis without removal of the crossember and conversion to a traction bar setup. I figured no one on here would be interested. I am down to build some other manifolds though. To fit in the accord chassis, the ramhorn or top mount would probably be the way to go. I'd say the ramhorn. I'll try to find the post by weirtech though.

mykwikcoupe
01-29-2008, 06:01 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58215
its post 18. I would need the room for ac and PS. Im not sure how fitment would work or not. let me know what you think

Accordtheory
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Okay, what the hell...Weirtech's manifold looks just like mine, our wastegate location is the same, tight, it is also for a (integra/civic) b series, and I'd never even seen it before! At least that I remember.. How much is $800 canadian in U.S. $..?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/weirtech/DSC07107.jpg
I like mine better though, my 2 outside runners aren't as long as his, making it a tiny bit closer to equal length..ha ha. Too bad I had to go and fuck around with that abrasive polishing/cleaning thing though, now it just looks weird. But that'll go away once it heats up..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_44_full.jpg

But, as I've written previously, neither will fit the accord chassis. They put the turbo right into the crossmember.

As far as me building a manifold for your car compatible with a/c and p/s, that would be really hard, almost impossible without having the car and turbo right in front of me. Most bottom mount manifolds put the turbo in a location where it interferes with the a/c compressor, and the thing with the accord is there is so little room in front of the motor, everything has to be perfectly set up to fit. When I built my a20 manifold 5 years ago (the first manifold I'd ever built, out of mild steel with a mig welder) I put the turbo off to the side, basically above where the motor and tranny intersected. That gave a lot of room for everything, and room for a nice downpipe too. I actually sold that setup to a member on this forum, I can't remember who, but now I'm a little embarrased to have my name on that thing, but..live and learn, lol. That setup would have been sweet tigged with legit flanges and stainless runners, but I didn't know about that then.
For now, I'll snoop around on the board and try to find a few pics of your setup, so I can see if anything pops into my head.

Accordtheory
01-30-2008, 12:45 PM
damn it, mykwikcoupe, I couldn't find any of your pics. Now I've just spent way too much time posting in random threads and haven't gotten shit done today. Do you have a build thread somewhere?

SQ is the SQUAD
01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
what tig are you using?

A20A1
01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I think Canadian dollar is about on par and was better then the American dollar for a period I think :D

mykwikcoupe
01-30-2008, 08:16 PM
check out my photobucket account under kwikcoupe I think there there

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/kwikcoupe/car%20stuff%201/?start=40
lots of random pics

89T
01-31-2008, 04:46 AM
accordtheory,I don't mean to whore up your thread but, i am liking what you're doing.
you did well on the short collector,would you care to try that with 2 90* bends and 2 straights?

it will save alot of room for a top mount configuration.

a ramhorn mani is not going to work well with out either a traction bar(and possibly moving the mount to-wards the pass. side about 2") or offsetting the t/3 flange 3" from the center to-wards the driver side of the a20 flange.(there are some possible heat issues with a ram or mini ram)

trust me ;) with a traction bar you can build just about build any manifold as long as you can get to the spark plugs and it wont catch the power steering on fire.

Accordtheory
01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
You can whore up my thread all you want, lol.

This is the reason why I think a ramhorn would be the way to go with the a20. I was able to fit my big ass holset with the crossmember still intact with a manifold that places the flange in a location similar to the ramhorn. Does the a20 have a lower exhaust port location? It is almost exactly 10" from the highest point of the crossmember to the bottom of my exhaust ports.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_31_full.jpg

MessyHonda
01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
looks fast already

Accordtheory
01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Dude, come on. Only 89turboed is allowed to whore up my thread.:) just playing.
What I need is some kind of measurements for the a20 though, or else I could just try to do it with enough extra room so that it will almost be sure to fit. My turbo is extremely close to the crossmember, I'll probably "clearance" it a little with a hammer.

A20A1
01-31-2008, 03:38 PM
I think the A20 was about the same 10"
When I was doing my header I took that measurement but I don't know where I wrote it down.
I don't have a 3G at the moment to double check.

89T
01-31-2008, 04:52 PM
i cant give you a definitive answer right now but i can take some measurements tomorrow.
so i can whore it up!lol.