PDA

View Full Version : Some suspension questions.

mushroom_toy
01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Alright guys well I have a little money again and a new job so its finally time to start getting things squared away on the accord. First I have a question or two. Ok first off, what all do I need for the SEI brake swap? I have an 86 Lx-i so I know i need at least 89 lx-i fronts as well. So in total this is what I need right, correct me if im wrong.

Sei prop. valve
89lxi or 89sei front brakes and calipers
Sei rear calipers. rotors and hub assy
ebrake cable

Do i need any of the arms or is that stuff overkill?

Im thinking or trying to find an sei parts car, as I need a manual tranny to, so I guess ill see how that goes.

If i end up not doing the brake swap, or if it ends up being too much money im just gonna fix all of my stuff on my car. Here is what i need to fix on my suspension:
Need new front brake pads, need rear right wheel bearing, and i need a 4 wheels alignment.

I also am gonna be getting some ef coilovers soon, so maybe a drop is coming. :)

russiankid
01-25-2008, 02:34 PM
If i remember correctly the 86-87 rear trailing arms are different from the 88-89 so you will also need the rear trailing arms. Otherwise you are correct, but i advise you get new ball joints for the front knuckles, new bushings for the struts in the rear spindles, and new brake lines.

Edit: Since you are going to get larger calipers in the front, you need to get an LX-i or SE-i MC.

MessyHonda
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
just do the rear swap for now. mine bolted up but mine is a 89 to start with. if you find a parts car then you wont have nothing to worry about.

mushroom_toy
01-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Ok well after changing my oil and spark plugs today, I went ahead and put some brand new Satisfied pro ceramic pads. Im still not gonna do the wheel braing for now I guess. If i go to the jy tomorrow, ,maybe I can find an sei with what i need. I had some more qs.

Why cant I just bolt up the sei rears and leave my 86 lxi fronts? Also I already have 89 lxi front calipers, do they bolt up to the 86 hub? I also have an 89 lxi prop valve, any difference form mine?

russiankid
01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
You can leave the front 86' brakes, i left my LX brakes up front but have SE-i rears. The LX-i(88-89) calipers will not bolt up to the 86-87 knuckles as the calipers are bigger. The 86-87 DX,LX,LX-i had the same brakes as the 88-89 DX and LX. The prop valve will work, but you may not get the full performance. I have a 3030 prop valve right now and its not a big difference from a SE-i one. If i had bigger front brakes i would have an issue most likely.

The SE-i prop valve is different from all the others, but leaving the prop valve you have now without changing the front brakes is fine. Once you change the fronts you need to change the valve and the MC.

mushroom_toy
01-29-2008, 10:00 PM
So then I can technically just pull the rear discs, and install them then and leave my front brakes and prop valve, and mc?

labeledsk8r
01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
So then I can technically just pull the rear discs, and install them then and leave my front brakes and prop valve, and mc?

yep.. no worries till you go biger fronts

mushroom_toy
01-30-2008, 12:10 AM
GOOD DEAL !!! :) Hopefully the jy will have a nice sei for me tomorrow, if not I might pick up some rear vigor bars for people on the forums. XD

russiankid
01-30-2008, 04:49 AM

Yes, that is what i have and no problems.

mushroom_toy
01-30-2008, 05:48 AM
Nice, well ill be heading out in a little bit, wish me luck.

2oodoor
01-30-2008, 08:15 AM
sei are not that common to find really, good luck
You will need 15 inch wheels I think, to clear the calipers
You should try that alignment before you replace the wheel bearing, mine makes the same noise, sounds just like it is coming from the RR but sometimes I believe it may be coming from the RF, and it may be because I have a lil too much positve camber on that wheel no doubt. It is not a hard roar noise really as of yet, just a whittling noise.

MessyHonda
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
You should try that alignment before you replace the wheel bearing, mine makes the same noise, sounds just like it is coming from the RR but sometimes I believe it may be coming from the RF, and it may be because I have a lil too much positve camber on that wheel no doubt. It is not a hard roar noise really as of yet, just a whittling noise.

the se-i came with 14 inch alloys...my parts car has a set.

mushroom_toy
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Well got them today. Ive gotta go clean my car real fast and take a shower for the meet, but ill post pics tomorrow. I got everything i needed for the rear, as well as some pretty much brand new tokico blues for front, and a 89 teg lip. Im probably gonna have to rebuild the brakes as they are a little rusty, but the ebrake works and the brakes themselves grab when i applied the brakes on the sei so that all good. Theyre pretty rusty but thats not a prob. One thing i will need new though is the dust shields, one of mine are fucked on the bottomlol.

MessyHonda
01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
good stuff...you will love it.

2oodoor
01-30-2008, 03:43 PM
dang, junk yard lucky dog

mushroom_toy
01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I know only one sei, that they didnt have last time. :) out of the 11 89 model accord only one was an sei. thank god lol. IM probably gonna start taking apart the sei brakes on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

AccordB20A
02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
if SEi means special edition why were there so many made?? Cant be that special "LOL"

MessyHonda
02-02-2008, 12:34 AM
if SEi means special edition why were there so many made?? Cant be that special "LOL"

well it was only made for one year....its good that they made alot....its not like a stinking b20 manual gear box...hard to find...and they made that from like 86-89

mushroom_toy
02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
They might have made a lot but its hard as hell to find one completely intact in the jy.

snoopyloopy
02-02-2008, 06:19 PM

only if you're getting bigger calipers. stock 3gb lxi/sei cars came with 14s.