PDA

View Full Version : Ok to port box or no?

alanizgod
01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I just posted a thread about my sub kinda lacking the boom effect I hoped it was going to give me...but then I thought about whether or not a ported box or a sealed box would actually make that much of a difference. So now my question is would using a ported box decrease the response or precision of my sub? (10" Alpine Type R)

forrest89sei
01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I just posted a thread about my sub kinda lacking the boom effect I hoped it was going to give me...but then I thought about whether or not a ported box or a sealed box would actually make that much of a difference. So now my question is would using a ported box decrease the response or precision of my sub? (10" Alpine Type R)

if you want boom, then porting it is best, i prefer sealed for precision though

alanizgod
01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Is there much of a noticeable difference between the precision of sealed opposed to ported?

forrest89sei
01-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Is there much of a noticeable difference between the precision of sealed opposed to ported?

Well I i think it sounds Cleaner in a sealed box personally, Ported sounds cheaper and more distorted to me

alanizgod
01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Well it's necessary to have precision with the music I listen to so I guess I'll stick with my sealed sub...

forrest89sei
01-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Well it's necessary to have precision with the music I listen to so I guess I'll stick with my sealed sub...

Yeah, I'm a audiophile and I just don't like the ported vs the sealed

labeledsk8r
01-25-2008, 09:26 PM
yeah stick with sealed... ported boxs give that louder rattle boom...if you want to just rattle the trunk lid port it... but clean sound i would say sealed box would be best...

alanizgod
01-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Sounds good...there's really no point to having a freakishly loud system in your car either, considering it just increases the chance of you either getting your shit jacked or getting a nice fat ticket. I guess I'm just slightly irritated by the fact that I was expecting my sub to be capable of being louder than it seems to be able to.

AccordB20A
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
yeha. keep in mind you cant just port a sealed box anyway.. khx

MessyHonda
01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
i had a bandpass box with 2 10 inch kickers and it pounded hard but for best sub response i guess a good sealed unit will do the work.

89T
01-27-2008, 05:13 AM
sealed box's typically give you a tight punchy bass and use less enclosure volume.ported typically give you lower frequency boomy hit and use a larger volume box.
ported box's seem to be more efficiant at higher volume, and speakers tend to last longer due to the fact it is pushing and pulling air in and out of the box keeping the voice coil cooler.
it depends on what you want,and what you listen to.;)

Vanilla Sky
01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
It's all in the tuning. Do yourself a favor and have a box built to specs for that sub.

AccordB20A
01-27-2008, 12:59 PM
ported box ftw when it comes to best bang for your buck.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
02-04-2008, 01:08 AM
if its lacking ported box is good

AccordB20A
02-04-2008, 06:37 PM
i agree. i just installed a sealed box for my 12.. cause it was free and my ported box is too large. it sounds gay. i prefer ported over sealed

Demon1024
02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
One sealed one ported ftw! 2 12" 100 extra watts on the sealed. I couldn't decide between the two,so both

Hauntd ca3
02-13-2008, 12:13 AM
buy or get your self a copy of bass box pro
has the theill small parameters of just about every sub in existance
you can design a box in any style that you want with any sub you could think of and it will give you a fuckin accurate response graph,excursion graph,resistance graph,spl graph of how that box/speaker would perform.
the only thing it cant tell you is what it'll sound like in your car .
its a great program usually only for sale to the professional sound guys
find one and see what they can do for you
i get130db out of 2 100 watt jbl 10 inch subs with out pushing the system hard at all
using a bass box pro designed box
and it sound sweet as. no peaks or dips at all
just a nice linear sound

GraniteLXI
02-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I prefer ported over sealed as well, it is quite a bit louder and deeper then sealed if done right. I use 12's, im not a fan of 10's because they don't hit the deep notes I love as well as 12's nail em...but since your running 10s a sealed box may be the way to go for you, I got a buddy with an older beat up up civic, his whole trunk is a sealed sub box with its own battery, and 4 10 inch subs...it bangs and the ass end is down almost as low as it can go, looks like a lowrider...but it still doesn't hit as deep as I like XD