PDA

View Full Version : Loss of headlights

roofusgooner
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I decided tonight that I wanted a milkshake at Wawa's so I I got in the car and after I pulled out I noticed the interior lights were kinda bright. I said, "Meh, it probably just needs to warm up of something and let the idle go down." Well, after about a block, one of my headlights goes out. At first I wasn't sure, but then the other one went out. Oh crap, no light at 1AM isn't good. So I think, "Well, I can still make on just high-beams, it's not too far and I want that milkshake." Nope. The high-beams die the second I turn them on! Okay, so now I turn around and go home, using the streetlamps to see, milkshakeless. It was less than a minute from my house so I was alright. I got no warning light on in the dash. What could this be?

Hazwan
02-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Do other light works?

I'm guessing your alternator is overcharging since you said the interior light is brighter than normal. Do you have multimeter to test the battery voltage with the engine running?

2oodoor
02-01-2008, 04:29 AM
^^^ possible

also sounds like a ground is missing

Blkblurr
02-01-2008, 06:34 AM
This happened to my brother's Dodge Durango. His headlights got really bright and then burned out. It turned out to be a problem with his battery. He changed the battery and all was well. My guess is the battery had a short that caused the cells to be in series instead of multiple banks of plates in parallel as they normally are. This could boost the voltage quite high.

roofusgooner
02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Okay, I got it back from the mechanic today. He said there didn't appear to be anything wrong and just put 2 new headlights to the tune of $20 each plus 53 for diag. I was furious at the ridiculous price for two headlights but I ate it anyway. I got out to my car and it didn't start! WTF! I went back inside and he grabbed his charging thing and he charged it up and it started right away. He pulled it inside and tightened the battery terminals and said they were probably loose. Okay, fine. So everything going alright driving home, besides the fact that he replaced my silver stars with generic shit. 2 hours later I go to start my car and I got no juice. This is the first time I've been to this mechanic and I don't think I'm gonna go to him after this since he charged me 53 for diag that he must have done carelessly. Finally, my question, what would cause a car to lose charge while sitting? A poor ground perhaps?

russiankid
02-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay, I got it back from the mechanic today. He said there didn't appear to be anything wrong and just put 2 new headlights to the tune of $20 each plus 53 for diag. I was furious at the ridiculous price for two headlights but I ate it anyway. I got out to my car and it didn't start! WTF! I went back inside and he grabbed his charging thing and he charged it up and it started right away. He pulled it inside and tightened the battery terminals and said they were probably loose. Okay, fine. So everything going alright driving home, besides the fact that he replaced my silver stars with generic shit. 2 hours later I go to start my car and I got no juice. This is the first time I've been to this mechanic and I don't think I'm gonna go to him after this since he charged me 53 for diag that he must have done carelessly. Finally, my question, what would cause a car to lose charge while sitting? A poor ground perhaps?

Get the battery tested, possibly the battery may be toast.

nfs480
02-01-2008, 06:29 PM
How old is the battery anyway? There should be an expiration date on it, I believe they are supposed to be replaced about every six years.

MessyHonda
02-01-2008, 07:02 PM
yeah silverstars are better than oem but the autopals are way nicer.

roofusgooner
02-02-2008, 01:22 AM
battery is as old as the alternator, that is to say 6 weeks or so.

Blkblurr
02-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Measure the voltage of the battery when the car is running. Do you have a voltmeter? Check to see if the alt is warm after the battery is charged and the car has set until cool. If the alt is warm you may have a short in it.

2oodoor
02-02-2008, 02:13 PM
yeah silverstars are better than oem but the autopals are way nicer.

what the hell does that have to do with the subject?

roofusgooner Re: Loss of headlights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
battery is as old as the alternator, that is to say 6 weeks or so.
Yesterday 10:02 PM

Geez that would have been pretty important to mention in the first place, six weeks? That is one of the first few diagnotic concerns on anything, what was done recently.

Sounds like your mek-a-nik made 100 percent profit on the bulbs, and ripped you on the diagnostic. Even more profit if he pulled the lights out of a car on his lot.

87roach
02-02-2008, 02:28 PM
^^ Nothing.

My dads old 80's for f150 did this, except it happened very sudden when I went over a speedbump(at the right speed). The dash got super bright and I was like whoa!! then it just quite and I rolled into the friends house that I was going to see.. I believe we replaced the alternator and belt and that worked.

You could try checking the alt brushes for premature ware? Or maybe the alt is just a faulty one..

BTW the milkshake made this pretty golden :D

2oodoor
02-02-2008, 02:46 PM
oh man, he never got the shake did he... :beer:

MessyHonda
02-03-2008, 09:47 PM
what the hell does that have to do with the subject?

well im just saying that he got shafted with the OEM replament bulbs and that aftermarket lights are better....even if they are for "Off road use only"

roofusgooner
02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I did get shafted. I'm thinking right now it's a short in the alternator. HOWEVER, I got a ride to the store today and I got my milkshake. Chocolate.

Blkblurr
02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Did you measure the voltage when the engine is running? If not you need to do this.If it happens again shut the engine off and see if the lights are still bright. If so, it's the battery, If not its the alt.

roofusgooner
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Nope, it was a bad starter relay.

AccordB20A
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
?

roofusgooner
02-09-2008, 01:37 PM
At least that's what I'm told but it's fixed now

Blkblurr
02-13-2008, 01:48 PM
How did that cause the headlights to burn out?????

roofusgooner
02-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I have no idea, at first it seemed to be overvolting, then everything was normal, then it started draining the battery and it stalled out on the way home after I thought it was fixed. I have no idea anymore but now it works so it's alright.

lostforawhile
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I have no idea, at first it seemed to be overvolting, then everything was normal, then it started draining the battery and it stalled out on the way home after I thought it was fixed. I have no idea anymore but now it works so it's alright.do you mean a bad solonoid on the starter? our cars don't have a starter relay. was the starter engaging while the engine was running? if it did it would act like a generator, and since it's geared to turn the engine at a slower speed then the motor, the motor turning the starter would work in reverse generating a high voltage. supposed to have an overrun clutch in the starter though.

Blkblurr
02-14-2008, 05:13 AM
do you mean a bad solonoid on the starter? our cars don't have a starter relay. was the starter engaging while the engine was running? if it did it would act like a generator, and since it's geared to turn the engine at a slower speed then the motor, the motor turning the starter would work in reverse generating a high voltage. supposed to have an overrun clutch in the starter though.
That makes sense.

roofusgooner
02-16-2008, 03:24 AM
No, the starter wasn't running while the car was on or anything. The whole thing really confuses me. First it's getting to much power than it doesn't get enough juice to start. It's weird. As far as a starter relay goes, he probably called it by the wrong name.

Blkblurr
02-16-2008, 05:28 AM
No, the starter wasn't running while the car was on or anything. The whole thing really confuses me. First it's getting to much power than it doesn't get enough juice to start. It's weird. As far as a starter relay goes, he probably called it by the wrong name.
Well there's no magic here. Something caused the voltage to spike to make your headlights burn out quickly. The only things I can see that would cause this are: failing battery due to cells coming loose and boosting voltage due to internal shorts that put the cells in series, your starter acting like a generator and boosting voltage because it is engaged to the flywheel all the time. Bad voltage regulaton from your alt. Not many other things I can think of to cause this.