PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problems again

MessyHonda
02-02-2008, 12:44 AM
well looks like my alternator is about to die again....this sucks cuz this time...i had no amp or major electronics on my car. when i rev my car up to like 5k rpm...the batt light turns on....i just replaced the alternator not too long ago like early nov....il have to find my receipt...lets hope Napa stands by its warranty.

labeledsk8r
02-02-2008, 01:14 AM
mayby you need a high output?? upgrade ftw?

Pico
02-02-2008, 06:35 AM
mayby you need a high output?? upgrade ftw?

Time to try out the one on EBay or go with the Legend swap ( I think thats what it was )

MessyHonda
02-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Time to try out the one on EBay or go with the Legend swap ( I think thats what it was )

yes...time to go with the 135amp one...but i need to see if i can get my money back for this one....cuz i spent like 120 for it....it seams like its dieing slow...the other one just craped out in one day.....no more long distance driving

2oodoor
02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
hey you ain't spraying water under you hood are you? I assume you have beefed up ground kit on your car by now too right?
I am trying to think what would take out so many units like that..
belt too tight, very easy to do with these cars, would make the alt. bearing too hot.

MessyHonda
02-03-2008, 09:44 PM
hey you ain't spraying water under you hood are you? I assume you have beefed up ground kit on your car by now too right?
I am trying to think what would take out so many units like that..
belt too tight, very easy to do with these cars, would make the alt. bearing too hot.

yeah i will take a look at all the specs.....last time i just needed a quick fix i didnt check any specs

MessyHonda
02-07-2008, 01:37 AM
update....so i went to napa and they gave me another alternator. this one is even better...they have the test worksheet and its rated at 81amps....so not bad....i installed it in like 45 mins...hardest part was trying to get it back in. after that i washed my car....she is looking super fly right now...no more batt light at 4k rpm.

Demon1024
02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
like was said ground kit! and beef the return wire for the alt to batt.
Wow i never thought of getting it to tight...

russiankid
02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Make sure your belt tension is not to tight, otherwise good luck with this one!

Dr_Snooz
02-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Stop running arc- welders from your cigarette lighter. ;)
Oh, by the way, if you remove the air cleaner (pretty easy), the alternator comes out the top like buttah.

... um, at least on the fuel-injected models.

russiankid
02-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh, by the way, if you remove the air cleaner (pretty easy), the alternator comes out the top like buttah.

Not so easy on the carburetor models. You have to drop it down through the bottom which requires you to move the axle.

HondaBoy
02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
i've thought about doing the swap with the legend alternator. i havent thought of it in a while though. might have to compare the accord and legend alternators at work some time. i forget what exactly has to be modified, but it wasnt much and is probably not a bad idea. my alternator still puts out over 14 volts, but for how long i dunno since its about to hit 150000 miles, as well as the starter.

MessyHonda
02-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Well Mr P...i have a cold air intake...so that air cleaner box has been out for some time..its real nice to have room to work with.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/IMG_1631.jpg

Dr_Snooz
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Well Mr P...i have a cold air intake...so that air cleaner box has been out for some time..its real nice to have room to work with.

Oh, I see. Well I was sure excited when I figured it out. I guess no one else is.

labeledsk8r
02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
such an old pic messy.... weres the headers and obd-1 ??? lol

MessyHonda
02-11-2008, 12:34 AM
such an old pic messy.... weres the headers and obd-1 ??? lol

lol cant show you all the goodies...thoes are for me...haha but yeah now i have headers...and obd1...also removed the cc unit

oh yeah no more stinking black box...im hose free