PDA

View Full Version : I have problems, really bad problems

levon2008
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I was adjusting my valves exhaust and intake well, now i know why my car wont start i took off the belt that connects to the block to the head. Oh god please anyone know how to realign the block with the head? I feel like im so screwed. The car model is 89 honda accord lxi, I forgot to mention i adjusted the valves then started the car too so now i dont know how to fix this. Is there a mark on the bottom sproket that i can use to align the top sproket with?

2oodoor
02-02-2008, 05:18 PM
valve lash wont change just because the timing belt is off kilter.

crank on top dead center
cam has two marks , both should be lined up with the head like at 9 and 3 o'clock position.

levon2008
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
oh okay so tdc for piston 1 then the block should have two marks the top mark is lined up with the head at 9 and the otherone points a 3 right?

russiankid
02-02-2008, 05:26 PM
oh okay so tdc for piston 1 then the block should have two marks the top mark is lined up with the head at 9 and the otherone points a 3 right?

There is a small hole between the transmission and the block. It is located under the distributor, near the exhaust manifold. Spin the engine over until you see a T on the flywheel indication TDC. Then just put the cam gear on UP aligning it with the valve cover studs, and put the belt on.

To check if done correctly, spin the engine over a few times, put it back to the UP mark and check in the hole is the T is still there.

2oodoor
02-02-2008, 05:27 PM

the cam gear should have the two marks
I dont know what you mean about the block.?

levon2008
02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
There is a small hole between the transmission and the block. It is located under the distributor, near the exhaust manifold. Spin the engine over until you see a T on the flywheel indication TDC. Then just put the cam gear on UP aligning it with the valve cover studs, and put the belt on.

To check if done correctly, spin the engine over a few times, put it back to the UP mark and check in the hole is the T is still there.

hey thanks guys i was so nervous. you relieved any signs of stress :)

Hauntd ca3
02-02-2008, 07:12 PM
if you tried to start the car with the timing belt off, you prob bent shit out of half the valves
a few of the valves would have been open and hondas are interferance motors.
this means if the belt breaks pistons will hit valves unless you are the luckiest son bitch in the world

A20A1
02-02-2008, 07:39 PM
why was your belt off?

when you adjust the valves the belt should be on, you turn the crank to turn the cam gear on the head, that way they both move in sync. :D

levon2008
02-02-2008, 09:38 PM
no no i didnt start the car with the belt off, this is what happen i took the belt off did the adjustments then thought i could place the belt back on and try to start it up. I didnt start the car with the belt off it was on but the car wont start because everything isnt lined up right. I hope this makes more sence :) Im hoping i didnt screw the car up.Oh and now i know i have to have the belt on to make the adjustments i dont know what i was thinking matter a fact i wasnt thinking at all wow im pretty stupid.

levon2008
02-03-2008, 05:19 PM
i was adjusting my valves and then it started to sprinkle and i got a little water into the oil. I thought shoot its so small it will burn off, Well now theres white smoke comming out of the exaust. I also added a cold air intake and breather on the oil i dont know if this will cause the problem either. Its constant white smoke when i rev the car the cloud increases i didnt put a gasket on the valve cover i need to go buy one right now i just was seeing if the car would start. Anyone have any ideas?

A20A1
02-03-2008, 05:27 PM
your head gasket could be leaking.
If you removed the head
Did you tighten your head bolts to the correct torque, not over tightening and not under tightening? Did you tighten them in the correct sequence? Is your head gasket new?
did you clean the surface of the head and deck before reinstalling the new gasket?

levon2008
02-03-2008, 05:34 PM
your head gasket could be leaking.
If you removed the head
Did you tighten your head bolts to the correct torque, not over tightening and not under tightening? Did you tighten them in the correct sequence? Is your head gasket new?
did you clean the surface of the head and deck before reinstalling the new gasket?

I didnt remove the head, i left it on the whole time i made my adjustments the only thing i tightened down was the part connecting the valves the bar in the middle. theres like 10 bolts. my head gasket isnt new, didnt have a problem before i adjusted the valves :).

Oldblueaccord
02-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Well if the headgasket is blown the smoke will be very white and smell sweet like anti=freeze. Sounds like you got it running at least. I would let it warm up fully and the snoke should go away else thats prolly whats been wrong all along.

wp

levon2008
02-03-2008, 05:49 PM
k ill try that and ill put the sealer on the valve cover too thanks guys :)

russiankid
02-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Check to see if the coolant is nice and green. If its not than you have a problem. Change the oil and see if the problem goes away.

levon2008
02-03-2008, 07:24 PM
okay i got on my hands and knees and stuck my nose into the exaust pipe and it doesnt smell like antifreeze just gas. (just kidding about sticking my nose into the exaust pipe i just leaned over and took a wiff.)its also about 48 degrees here so that might play a role, if i drive the car like this will i mess it up really bad? the engine coolant is still green and the oil will get changed soon

Vanilla Sky
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Sounds like it's just cold outside. H2O is a byproduct of combustion. It should go away once the engine is warm.

On the other hand, there's the chance that the valve seals were damaged while you were working in there. Very doubtful, but the possibility is there.

levon2008
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Sounds like it's just cold outside. H2O is a byproduct of combustion. It should go away once the engine is warm.

On the other hand, there's the chance that the valve seals were damaged while you were working in there. Very doubtful, but the possibility is there.

yea could be alot of things im going to just take one step at a time i think im freakin out over nothing. I still have to adjust the valves a little i can hear a little bit of pinging going on and then i have to get new gromets and a valve seal because the guy who owned this before me used silicon. Then i will taker for a spin and see if anything changes i hope so.

russiankid
02-03-2008, 08:11 PM
okay i got on my hands and knees and stuck my nose into the exaust pipe and it doesnt smell like antifreeze just gas. (just kidding about sticking my nose into the exaust pipe i just leaned over and took a wiff.)its also about 48 degrees here so that might play a role, if i drive the car like this will i mess it up really bad? the engine coolant is still green and the oil will get changed soon

With those temps i am starting to think its just the cold that is causing it. I get a lot of white smoke when its cold outside, it goes away once the engine is warmed up.

levon2008
02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
okay i have adjusted my valves, set my timing perfectly and added a air intake. When i drive the car and step down really quick on the gas it studders and then pops out of the throttle body like pop pop pop then it goes after awhile. What might this be im thinking it could be egr or fuel pump now im not sure. I feel like im at a dead end

levon2008
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
woot its finally done no more popping sounds, Now i just lag ass oh no more smoke either it turns out i was checking around and pulled one of the spark plug wires and it was broke so i replaced all the spark plug wires and bada boom i feel the power. The laggin part goes like this i floor it and it roars oh man does it roar but it doesnt go as fast as it sounds lol. On the freeway i punched it pretty good and it took awhile to get up like the response time is off or something. any ideas on this one?

Hauntd ca3
02-05-2008, 11:57 AM
worn out plug leads present a high resistance to the spark so it takes longer to travel down the leads.
if you've put new ones on you mite have to recheck the timing just to be sure
it mite be a touch advanced now

2oodoor
02-05-2008, 12:36 PM
good to hear you got that streight, now I would advance the timing a little, just mark your starting point on the dist hold down.

levon2008
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
thanks guys im doing the timing now. Trying to get it perfect i want this car to run like new so im replacing all sorts of stuff. I might even just rebuild this engine, Not sure yet i love this car.

Dr_Snooz
02-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Be sure to pull the vacuum lines off the distributor and to plug them before setting your timing. I suspect that's your problem currently.

Ditto the love for this car. I have a beautiful BMW that's _constantly_ broken down. The Honda never stops running. Bad gas, bad maintenance, neglect, no oil, it doesn't care. It always fires right up and runs without complaint. I'll get rid of it when I die. The BMW is currently for sale to anyone who wants a prissy, temperamental, bitchy car. Ugh!

levon2008
02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
All fixed the timing is perfect to the T thank you everyone I know I post thanks after im done fixing something. I dont like to be rude so you guys will always hear a thank you when im done with something. Sorry if i dont mention everyones name individually, Just know my thanks comes from the bottom of my heart

Levon

GraniteLXI
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Wow, this thread was an interesting read, like a soap opera or something...lol It did look grim for you at first, but good job....you seem excellent at troubleshooting your lxi. Now post some pics if you haven't already :)

levon2008
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Wow, this thread was an interesting read, like a soap opera or something...lol It did look grim for you at first, but good job....you seem excellent at troubleshooting your lxi. Now post some pics if you haven't already :)

There are plenty of pics and a proto type.. Look under levon2008 in advanced search. Search all forums and you will see everyone that i have made. The pics are under sorry about the Dark Pics. :)