PDA

View Full Version : what is drawing power ?

GreenMachine
09-18-2002, 08:44 PM
K... something from my system is drawing power when it is not on.
My batt. has been going dead. So I notice when I connect the batt terminal it sparks(clicks) like somthing is suckin the juice, disconnected the stereo power from the terminal and no spark.

What could be causin this
I have 2 amps - neither lights are on them when cars off, all power is thru one power to the batt.

Not sure, what could be drawing the power

any suggestions would be helpful:confused:

sanjay
09-18-2002, 10:47 PM
When you first install your amplifer into your system.... if the battery terminal sparks it means that you've connected something wrong.
If you keep it like that, chances are, you're gonna stuff something up.
The best thing to do, is re-check your wiring to see that you've done the right thing...

sanjay
09-18-2002, 10:49 PM
I remember when I first put in my head unit, i fucked up the dash lights cause I put something round the wrong way.... (i thought acc. meant accessory alright?) - but anyways,
it kept sparking like that....
if it doesn't spark when you reconnect your battery terminal that is a good indicator that the circuit is good....

GreenMachine
09-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Thanx for the response, Ya I guess i'll just check everything out

sanjay
09-21-2002, 05:25 PM
no problemo

catalin
09-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by sanjay
When you first install your amplifer into your system.... if the battery terminal sparks it means that you've connected something wrong.

In actual fact, when you install an amplifier in your vehicle and you first hook up the power to the battery, you want it to spark. What does this mean?... When the amplifier first powers up it's on-board capacitors will charge up, causing a quick surge of power which is in turn indicated to you by the spark. The bigger the better, and it's also quite entertaining...

:burn:

GreenMachine
09-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Ya but then the onboard capacitors should already be charged, not drawing power till the batt is dead. It takes about a
5-8 days before it kills the batt.
Haven't checked the wiring yet - I'm sure it'll just be somethin stupid. thanx

kennycm
09-22-2002, 05:31 PM
you're not the only one with that problem my friend