PDA

View Full Version : Problems problems problems

Ajbent86
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I have an 89 DX 5-speed. The car has almost 200k on it and it has had its fair share of issues lately.

However, I have a new issue that is really bothering me and I can not figure out what it is.

The best way to describe it is by a comparison. Hopefully someone out here can understand this.

The noise a motor makes when it is lugged down to almost stalling out is kind of like a "Clicking" or "deep pinging" noise.

Well, recently my car has been making that noise thru the entire power band (2000 RPM to 4000RPM). But only under load, if I just rev the motor up in neutral it will not make any bad sounds. I’m afraid this is a motor bearing going bad on it.

Any advice?

russiankid
02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
When was the last time the valves were adjusted?

2oodoor
02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
^^^^ yep could be, if it sounds like a ring on your finger (bottom of your ring) tapping a thick wooden table , kinda muffled though.

My opinon from a remote location somewhere in the northern hemisphere...
head gasket is about to go or you have got some poor gas, try 93 octane a while, also check your coolant, what does the temp guage run at, halfway or closer to H??

Ajbent86
02-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Temp runs between cold and halfway constantly. To me, the sound appears to be coming from the bottom of the motor. It can be heard very distinctively when the windows are rolled down.

Already checked the valves, they are adjusted properly.

russiankid
02-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Temp runs between cold and halfway constantly. To me, the sound appears to be coming from the bottom of the motor. It can be heard very distinctively when the windows are rolled down.

Already checked the valves, they are adjusted properly.

Try running 93 octane or 89 octane, which can be made by mixing 87 octane and 93 octane, half and half.

If that has any affect, then you may need to recheck the valves even if you said they are fine.

AccordB20A
02-04-2008, 06:55 PM
or retard your distributer

Hauntd ca3
02-05-2008, 12:07 PM
if it were tappets it would be a ticking sound and ign timing is a destinct rattle tha disappears when you lift or ease off the gas.
does it make a bangy,rummbly sound when you start up?
if you have an oil pressure gauge wot is the oil pressure
oil pressure if very dependant on bearing condition
but so far it does sound like bearings to me.
get a long extension from your socket set and use it like a stethoscope to narrow it down

labeledsk8r
02-05-2008, 12:21 PM
sounds like detonation (or pinging) do like these guys said and try running a tank of 93, it should go away with this... after that you can readjust your valves or mess with the timeing... i had this same exact problem... but i just ran 93 and left it at that

Demon1024
03-07-2008, 02:45 AM
O.k. I'm bringing this back instead of making a new thread

I've had this ticking to but it's a new ,50kless, engine could the oil pump it self going out be causeing this it only makes the noise if i push it once the rpm's are over 4k if i accel slowly it doesn't do it in N it doesn't do it at all as far as i can tell. I would have just changed the pump, as well as water pump, but i noticed when i swapped my intake the crankshaft bolt is not the right size. like it's a freaking standerd size bolt! that scares the shit outta me and i'm hopeing when i take it out i'tll go back in if it comes out at all. I've never had to tap anything and don't want to start with a crankshaft! My timing makes no difference, i always run 90's octane, there's no noisey start (my last motor did that real BAD). Someone tell me it's just the oil pump not supplying the valves enough oil under load. HELP

2drSE-i
03-07-2008, 06:13 AM
well, it could be the oil pump... Is your oil light coming on?

Next time you fill up try 89 octane. The tapping could be caused by using 91 octane gas. Is it an actual tapping or more of like a ping?

Your timing could be overly advanced or retarded for such high octane and you could be having some slight predetonation (not as bad as it sounds, youll be ok)

steveko
03-07-2008, 04:56 PM
It does sound like the timing as 2dr-SE-i said.
Check the vaccum advance unit make sure it's not leaking.

coope
03-07-2008, 10:54 PM
dude stop driving it now mine did that and it was the oil pump no pressure i down shifted and spun a rod bearing REPLACE IT NOW

Demon1024
03-08-2008, 12:59 AM
i dont have a choice now :(
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=861905#post861905