PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem

partyharty
02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an 87 Honda Accord and I am having a problem with the brakes.

First off I went to change the brake pads on the front of the car and I found (on the drivers side) the top pad looked great (very little wear seemed to be in great shape) however the bottom pad (the one on the inside of the drivers side rotor) was worn down over half.

The reason I went to change the pads is that the car was shaking when I used the brakes. I changed the rotors and the pads on the front (and will probably end up digging into the back brakes later).

Now I put on the new pads and drive it down the road. It feels like a caliper is sticking (and it is squealing) so I put it up on jack stands and try to roll the wheel. There is resistance as the wheel turns.

So I am guessing that it is a messed up caliper, I take of the tire today and it appears that something is leaking grease (caliper?).

I guess I should also say that there is no problem whatsoever with the passenger side wheel.

Questions,

How hard is it to take off the caliper? I have heard that it is 2 bolts (top and bottom), I removed the bottom bolt to change out the pads and that is not a problem but the top bolt has (what looks like) a cap on it. How can I get this cap off?

Does the stuff above seem to you to be a stuck caliper? The reason I ask is that it looks like the (new) pads have been subjected to some heat and one of the pads is starting to come off of the backing plate (not by much but you can see it). Another thing is that on one side the little piece of metal that you put the pad into seems to be bent, Do these come with the new caliper or can I pick them up at autozone (and what are they called)?

and finally should I replace both calipers at once (front drivers/passenger)? I am not having problems with the passenger side but I know that you want to replace the pads in pairs so I am wondering if I need to do so with the calipers as well?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Chris

russiankid
02-04-2008, 06:30 PM
The top bolt is actually a pin. To get the caliper off, get a big C-clamp and push the piston in. Then remove the lower bolt, and rotate the caliper upwards so the caliper is off the pads, then slide the caliper off towards the inside. Installation is reverse of removal.

You may just need to rebuild the calipers. They are really easy to rebuild. They contain a dust boot and a round seal. After the piston comes out just clean the inside and the piston, and install a new seal. This is also a good time to get new brake lines and brake fluid.

partyharty
02-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the tip about the pin. I was trying to figure out how to get the bolt off :>

I just went ahead and bought a new caliper however I am thinking about rebuilding this one (so I can have it for a spare). I figure the seal went because there is grease everywhere. Where can I order the seal and dust boot? Does a auto parts store have them (we have Autozone, Napa and Pep Boys around here)?

Thanks,
Chris

partyharty
02-05-2008, 06:07 AM
<sigh>

Nothing is ever as easy as it seems with this car.

My caliper is stuck on. I have it soaking in some penetrating oil right now to see if I can get the dang thing off. I got the bottom bolt out, was able to swing the caliper up and over the pads but it will not slide off the top pin at all (it is really stuck). I got it to slide a little bit but that was as far as it got. Now I cant get the brake pads back on it (because it is moved over a bit) but I cannot get the caliper off either.

Any suggestions?

I ended up soaking (the top pin) in penetrating oil, Since we are looking at some BAD storms today/tonight I just put the tire back on it (no brakes). It shouldn't be a problem though (my wife cannot drive a standard :) ). Hopefully I will remember before I go jump in and drive off. (if not I am sure I will remember shortly afterwards :). I think I will go put a sign on the steering wheel just in case.

Also one of my slide pins was really gimped up. I noticed this when I was putting in the brake pads last time but I was able to get the pad in. I think that I am going to go ahead and replace it while I am in there this time.

Thanks,
Chris

russiankid
02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Just keep trying to get the caliper off, if it moves around on the pin then it shouldn't be stuck. I just re-greased my caliper and it was a lil stuck at the end, but i got it off. The pads just clip in place really. Can't remember but you either insert the top portion into the clip and then the bottom or its the bottom first. Just play with it a little and you'll get it in.