PDA

View Full Version : Got a Fun Question for you gurus of suspension lol.

mushroom_toy
02-07-2008, 12:18 AM
OK as some of you know I just put EF(88-90) civic coilovers on my ca with ef stock struts. The front coilovers are 450lb rate Nopi N1 brand, and the rear are arospeed brand. I cant find any info on arospeed spring rates for ef chasis, as they are yellow, but I dont know anything more about them. I do think the rears are softer than the front though. Seems I have more suspension travel in the rear and less in the front, but the front may be becoming murder on my car/suspension. Soooo heres the question. Should I put the stiffer springs in the rear and softer in front, and use tokico blues I have in front as well? This should soften the rears ride even with a stiff spring if the suspension has full room, and should soften the front with a softer spring?

2drSE-i
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
try putting stiffer springs in the back first. if that doesnt work then put softer in the front, but a good solid spring in the rear will do wonders.

BITESIZE
02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I say stiffer in the back, because you don't have alot of weight back there.

thegreatdane
02-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Rear springs should be a little softer than the fronts. Maybe you should just get softer for the front, and you could get some better struts. Stockers arent a whole lot wonderfull.

mushroom_toy
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Rear springs should be a little softer than the fronts. Maybe you should just get softer for the front, and you could get some better struts. Stockers arent a whole lot wonderfull.

Well the softer part is true for near stock-ish suspension wise, but if you do any kind of racing, autocross, mountain runs, etc, most use a softer spring in front than in rear for fwd cars that is. :) Its kinda bassackwards how they sell coilover setups but meh.I think mostly its just peoples preference though.

Yeah im prob gonna switch stiff to rear, soft to front, and run my accord tokicos blues on the front.

Edit: Also anyone who can find any info on EF spring rates for arospeed coilovers will be my hero.

BITESIZE
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Why don't you just buy some good springs? In my opinion you wont get a really great ride with coilovers unless you spend the money. You should just invest some money into springs and better struts.

Legend_master
02-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Honestly your waisting your time with springs rates and such if your not going to upgrade the struts (front and rear). If you have a higher spring rate in the rear you will cause more oversteer on a front wheel drive application, and vise versa for stiffer front. The reason most coilover companies use stiffer springs in the front is to acount for the fact that the engine is in the front of the vehicle and there is much more weight to account for. Just save up your money and get some respectable suspention to account for your taste.

BITESIZE
02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Just save up your money and get some respectable suspention to account for your taste.

Best advice anyone can give you. I learned this from experience. :wave:

mushroom_toy
02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Refer to my sig. The point of my accord buildup is not to go out and buy the best of the best. Its to do with what I have and get away with as little money invested as possible. Im exloring options, Im not telling people to tell me what to buy. This isnt a smartass remark, but If I had the money you can bet I would buy good stuff. I would have ksport eg coilovers on my car right now, or gc and konies, but I dont have much money so this is what I have to do with right now.

Legend_master
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Refer to my sig. The point of my accord buildup is not to go out and buy the best of the best. Its to do with what I have and get away with as little money invested as possible. Im exloring options, Im not telling people to tell me what to buy. This isnt a smartass remark, but If I had the money you can bet I would buy good stuff. I would have ksport eg coilovers on my car right now, or gc and konies, but I dont have much money so this is what I have to do with right now.

I understand where you are coming from, but your going to have to shell out alot more cash down the road when your struts blow due to excessice wear, your rear balljoints fail due to the stress of the lowered suspension, your tires wear quickly and improperly due to camber issues. There are many things that can go wrong when u dont have the appropriate suspension componets on the vehicle. You can skimp on HP mods and just get stuck on the side of the road, but going cheap on the suspension or brakes is just risking your own life, the life of others, and your wallet. Im not knocking on you, cause I was in the same boat, but Im just telling from experience.

MessyHonda
02-08-2008, 12:25 AM
i do like that you work with what you are given....safety comes first...thats why my very first mod was get new brakes and pads...then came se-i swap with ss lines..you will love the se-i swap coming to a stop is so much more controlable.