PDA

View Full Version : Upper control arms 89 accord dx

paulwwww
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Sorry for the duplicate post, I replied to the following thread earlier and didn't see where it showed from the home page.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46823&highlight=89+accord+upper+control+arm+replacement

I am in the process of replacing the upper control arms on my 1989 accord dx. I already have both arms removed and the rest of the parts should be in tomorrow, ordered the control arms and bushing kit from e-bay. Question, looks like by design that the bushings actually get pressed into the arm with the upper arm bolt and self-locking nut, of course with the right torque 55 ft lbs, is this the case? If this is the case once the bushings are in the arm it is just a matter of bolting it back on the car and re-attaching the ball joint packed with grease. Someone in this thread mentions some sort of final torqueing after the weight of the vehicle is on the arm, does anyone know, is this extra torque at where the arm connects to the vehicle? I wouldn't think that once the bushings are in place with the right torque that they should be needing anything else. Me = rookie trying to save some bucks. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

russiankid
02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
To clarify the torque specifications. The self locking nuts that hold the arm to the body are to be torqued to 53 lbs-ft. The self locking nuts on the arm itself are to be torqued to 40 lbs-ft, i have mine at 30 lbs-ft do to some squeaking which was caused by to much torque. The ball joint is 32 lbs-ft.

Not sure about the final torquing, but since it is a bushing the weight of the vehicle has to be on it when torquing it down. I may be wrong, but i know that is how it works for the LCA.

paulwwww
02-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the info on the torque specs and such, crossing my fingers. :-) Great users on this forum, very helpful.

russiankid
02-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Good luck!

paulwwww
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Have to say this site kicks ass, thanks to all of you out there!!!

They went on the car without too much of a headache. After getting everything back together, btw I put a jack under the lower control arm to get all the weight of the vehicle on it and brought the torque to spec on the arm, maye an extra foot pound or two. Seems alright, however not been tested at high speed yet, need to put the insurance back on it first. Also plan to get a front end alignment as the book recommends a camber adjustment after the arms are replaced. Also after getting the wheels back on and driving it up my driveway a few times, I thought damn should I have filled the dust covers that go over the castle nut with grease, anyone out here know??? Probably take the wheel back off and do that either way, any info is good.

Also, for any other newbies, I used my C-clamp, for brake jobs, to get the bushings up into the arm. Also recommend the bushing replacement kit so you can replace all that and not worry about driving all the other parts out of the old arm (found them on E-bay, NAPA maybe). Also placed one of the metal caps on the one side when clamping so I wouldn't damage the bushing.

Oldblueaccord
02-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Don't sweat the alignment to much. There is no adjustment for front/rear camber on our cars anyway. Just set the toe and let it go.

wp