PDA

View Full Version : EGR cutoff

wprocomp
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Well my car had an erratic idle where the RPM's would rev up and down between 1k~2krpms at idle-I read up on its usually a EGR valve problem-so instead of putting another one on-I made a blockoff plate to seal off the EGR-got the car running idles like its got a cam in it and it still has an erratic idle between 1k~2krpms-so I am pretty sure my injectors are the source of the problem-but I was just curious as to if anyone else that sealed off there EGR has had this issue,car is 88 Lx-i so its got the dual stage manifold-I am thinking switching to a Euro/JDM ecu will solve this problem?

Hauntd ca3
02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
when i put headers on my si, i couldnt be stuffed putting the egr back on so did like you and made a blocking plate at the inlet manifold end
now it idles bout 600 rpm and is fine
go thru and check out your ign system, timing ,plug leads and plugs,dizzy cap etc and also go through and check out the fuel system to make sure all is good
no air leaks round the inlet manifold and throttle shafts
also make sure all the engine,batt and ecu earths are clean and tight
saw a fist gen integra with same funny idle and all it was ,was a dodgy ecu earth
good luck due

Demon1024
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
i've had this problem before and now again with this new engine.last time it was a leaking fast idle valve i think.check that and clean the iacv
here's a link hope this helps... helped me
http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/Badidle.php
I'm going to check my egr now thanks!

MessyHonda
02-08-2008, 01:45 AM
i have a funky idle too after my obd1 swap...i didnt bother to take off the egr yet...but its pluged up cuz it dont work...my way around it was to buy a b16 mani...but i still need to install it.

carotman
02-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Blocking the EGR shouldn't cause any idle problem. The EGR valve is closed at idle anyway,

wprocomp
02-08-2008, 07:27 AM
I guess I should try to beef up my grounds then maybe-this is the first time I have had it running since I moved the battery to the trunk

Oldblueaccord
02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I dont run EGR either. I blocked both ends of the pipe. I never notcied any differance in the way it ran esp the idle. It never really effected my gas mileage that could tell or confirm. I have an 88 lxi built late 87 . The IACV EACV what ever its called is where I would look first. You may have to take it off and carefully clean the screens in it.

wp

wprocomp
02-08-2008, 08:42 PM
yeah I am gonna try that in the morning-that and beef up all my grounds and I am gonna get me some new fuel filters while I am at it

AccordB20A
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
i removed my EGR cause im running a 1985 gold top b20a exhaust manifold that doesnt have EGR. check engine light is on and flashing 12 times even with the sensor plugged in, but removed from teh manifold. mine also idles like its misfiring all the time

2oodoor
02-09-2008, 03:19 AM
something to be aware of when you do a block plate is, make sure you are sealing off good between those two ports under the plate. It is a very thin wall there so the sealing surface needs to fit really well to keep the plate from just being an open egr device, (then you have accomplished nothing)

wprocomp
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
well cleaned it-didnt make a damn difference just a headache cause that pos hose isnt easy to get back on-put another EGR I had back on and still the same-I did notice when I unplugged Vaccum hose#21 from the throttle body the erratic idle stopped though

Dr_Snooz
02-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Check your coolant level. If the IACV gets bubbles in it, it will cause a fluctuating idle. If you do have bubbles, you'll need to bleed the system to get them out.

Also check your Idle Air Control screw. Mine fell out and it made for a very erratic idle. Cost me a trip to the dealer to figure that one out. Keep us posted.