PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc sust shield Q

mushroom_toy
02-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Alright well in a little bit im gonna go clean up my rear discs, and I was wondering if the rear dust shield is absolutely vital. I mean I know it to keep dust off, but I dont care about that. Mine were bent up all to hell on the bottom, before I got them at the jy, and they are an eyesore. Im thinking about taking em off, you guys think itll be fine?

russiankid
02-08-2008, 10:58 AM
They also prevent water from being splashed onto the rotors. I would try and bend them back, mine were a little messed up but nothing a piece of wood and hammer couldn't fix.

2ndGenGuy
02-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I took all of mine off, then experienced exactly why Honda put them there in the first place. I would say leave them on. I also have a theory that they help channel air onto the rotors to keep them cool.

MessyHonda
02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
i had mine off for ore than a year....driven 12K+ miles nothing wrong with my rear brakes....but i do have drilled and sloted rotors

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF2546Medium.jpg

russiankid
02-08-2008, 11:21 AM
i had mine off for ore than a year....driven 12K+ miles nothing wrong with my rear brakes....but i do have drilled and sloted rotors

You also don't live in the south where it rains a lot:Owned:

2ndGenGuy
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah it rains a ton up here. When it rains, and you hit your brakes, theres that brief moment when it does nothing, so you push harder, then it bites after the water clears off, then you skid... yeah...

You can get away with it if you just remember to put a light pressure on the brakes once in a while to clear off the water...

MessyHonda
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
yup not alot of rain here in the bay area....most water my car has ever seen is when i wash it with the water hose...haha

Cheeseburger
02-08-2008, 11:35 AM

it wouldn't matter if u have ebay drilled and slotted rotors or brembo drills and slotted or just plain ole stock rotors. i would keep them on. they are there for a reason like 2ndgenguy said. i have mine on.

russiankid
02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah it rains a ton up here. When it rains, and you hit your brakes, theres that brief moment when it does nothing, so you push harder, then it bites after the water clears off, then you skid... yeah...

You can get away with it if you just remember to put a light pressure on the brakes once in a while to clear off the water...

Ineed. It floods here a lot so water still gets on mine:violin:

Cheeseburger
02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
it wouldn't matter if u have ebay drilled and slotted rotors or brembo drills and slotted or just plain ole stock rotors. i would keep them on. they are there for a reason like 2ndgenguy said. i have mine on.

i also forgot to mention that the very few cars ive seen with out the shield are drag cars, but hardly anyone here has one lol...

MessyHonda
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
mine are powerslot rotors with AEM pads screw the made in china egay rotors.

russiankid
02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
mine are powerslot rotors with AEM pads screw the made in china egay rotors.

So whats the point of having those rotors in the back considering they are very small, and they do not heat up that much. I used a temp gun on mine before and they do not heat up much, and im running Raybesto blanks.

87roach
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I think you should probably keep em. My shields were also damaged, so I'm going to have to order new ones.

MessyHonda
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
So whats the point of having those rotors in the back considering they are very small, and they do not heat up that much. I used a temp gun on mine before and they do not heat up much, and im running Raybesto blanks.

when im really bored i go do some mountain runs...heats up the brakes quick. and yeah imo the rear disks are too small but like 70% of stoping power comes from the front...and the tires you use.

2ndGenGuy
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I thought that the purpose of slots is to help shed the water off the rotor. I would have thought though that the slot would have to go all the way to the edge of the rotor or else it would build up in the slot and not leave the rotor. My rotors are slotted as well, and it hasn't done shit to shed water. But my slots also don't go all the way to the edges.

russiankid
02-08-2008, 01:31 PM
when im really bored i go do some mountain runs...heats up the brakes quick. and yeah imo the rear disks are too small but like 70% of stoping power comes from the front...and the tires you use.

I still doubt the rears would heat up that much.

russiankid
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Either way i would keep the shields, as you can see i have 13" steelies and you can see how close the caliper is to the wheel. Water still makes it to the rotors.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/S6301047.jpg

Hauntd ca3
02-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I thought that the purpose of slots is to help shed the water off the rotor. I would have thought though that the slot would have to go all the way to the edge of the rotor or else it would build up in the slot and not leave the rotor. My rotors are slotted as well, and it hasn't done shit to shed water. But my slots also don't go all the way to the edges.

the purpose of the slots is to help stop the pads from glazing and to let the gas and dust that are caused by braking escape from under the pad
if you want to take it a step further you get them drilled as well

mushroom_toy
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah im gonna try to fix them...but at the momemt the bottom of em looks like theve been run over lol. the shields are almost flat on the bottom so it kinda like a haf circle shield lol.

2ndGenGuy
02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
the purpose of the slots is to help stop the pads from glazing and to let the gas and dust that are caused by braking escape from under the pad
if you want to take it a step further you get them drilled as well

Aah yeah that's the other thing I've heard. Helps remove gasses... :cheers: Not sure how that would stop glazing, since I think that's when the pad material heats up and re-solidifies. Unless it provides additional cooling effects as well.

thegreatdane
02-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Drilled rotors arent good for anything but looks. They reduce the effective friction areal and heat dissipation areal. They also weaken the rotor.