PDA

View Full Version : cant see timing adjuster

levon2008
02-08-2008, 02:29 PM
okay this is weird im setting the timing. So this is what i did before i took off timing belt then realized i messed up. Then i put the belt back on like this i moved the bottom block / flywheel till i could see 15 degrees and lined it up with the little pointer
and took off the #1 spark plug stuck a screwdriver in to see if the piston was up. Those checked out so then i went to my head and adjusted that till the up was aligned correctly. Put everything back on, started it up sounds fine a little to much advanced so i went to look and time it with the light but theres nothing in side the hole? where did i go wrong i dont know :). Any ideas?

russiankid
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
What do you mean there is nothing in the hole? Did you spin the engine over a few times before starting? You may have miss aligned it and may be off a few teeth.

Demon1024
02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
aren't you supposed to line it up top dead center not 15 deg.? thats your problem man... it is to advanced

levon2008
02-09-2008, 02:42 AM
thanks im going to try that first thing in the morning 8am :)

2oodoor
02-09-2008, 02:59 AM
this thread is really convincing me I need to do a good write up for how to, set timing....the only reason I haven't is because there are too many variables between cars and it can be difficult to comminucate.
Levon , first off .....cam/valve timing is a totally different issue than ignition timing.
The confusing thing is, you can change your valve timing and it will directly affect your ignition timing, BUT you can change your ignition timing and it makes no changes to your valve timing.

You are on to something by setting your tdc for valve timing at 15 degrees, It really should work.. basic theory {text explainations} of the end operational aspects sort of direct one to concieve it should..... but that is just not the way to do it. You can try now adjusting your distributor timing untill you see a mark line up with the timing light, but even if it does your valve timing could be off. You just need to find the LIGHTLY SCRIBED -T- mark on the flywheel, that is TDC 0 degrees, line it up , then make sure your cam marks are TOP on top and the two scribes on either side of the cam gear should be level with the the tip of the head, just like one big long line.
Then you can go back and recheck the ignition timing.

To further make things confusing, even if your valve timing is a tooth off you can "compensate" for it by moving the ign timing around where the car runs better, BUT it is not running as well as it should by no means.. mechanics get by with that all the time and sometimes it leaves the customer satisfied because the car still runs , but they know something isnt quite right so they chalk it up to the age of the car.

Dr_Snooz
02-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Both your block and cam should be at TDC on the # 1 cylinder when installing the timing belt. Be careful when you re-align yours. If you just start rotating the crank independently of the cam you can bend your valves.

...and you'll be very sad. :(

When you set the timing, you need to disconnect the two vacuum lines from the distributor and plug them. If you don't do this, your timing will be wrong. The manual devotes several pages to timing inspection and adjustment. It's worth reading.

levon2008
02-10-2008, 12:49 AM
this thread is really convincing me I need to do a good write up for how to, set timing....the only reason I haven't is because there are too many variables between cars and it can be difficult to comminucate.
Levon , first off .....cam/valve timing is a totally different issue than ignition timing.
The confusing thing is, you can change your valve timing and it will directly affect your ignition timing, BUT you can change your ignition timing and it makes no changes to your valve timing.

You are on to something by setting your tdc for valve timing at 15 degrees, It really should work.. basic theory {text explainations} of the end operational aspects sort of direct one to concieve it should..... but that is just not the way to do it. You can try now adjusting your distributor timing untill you see a mark line up with the timing light, but even if it does your valve timing could be off. You just need to find the LIGHTLY SCRIBED -T- mark on the flywheel, that is TDC 0 degrees, line it up , then make sure your cam marks are TOP on top and the two scribes on either side of the cam gear should be level with the the tip of the head, just like one big long line.
Then you can go back and recheck the ignition timing.

To further make things confusing, even if your valve timing is a tooth off you can "compensate" for it by moving the ign timing around where the car runs better, BUT it is not running as well as it should by no means.. mechanics get by with that all the time and sometimes it leaves the customer satisfied because the car still runs , but they know something isnt quite right so they chalk it up to the age of the car.

Hey i got it its just a little confusing but i finally got it for sure this time, I did it today and its running smoother but i still hear tapping sounds when i accelerate this is annoying someone told me its fine its just the age of the car, I say BS my car will run quiet just like everyone elses. When you make a tutorial let me know i want to help. On my transmission i noticed there are two T's one right after the 15 degree area and if i spin it around one more time i get a T and a C which im taking that as top center. Any how i lined it all up really sweet started the car looked at the timing marks and started to freak. I couldnt see the timing lines, But wait i pulled the two vacume lines and there it was perfect as all day 15 degree right on the nose woot. I am going to adjust my valve lash a little more see if that quites it down, I am also thinking it might be my fuel injectors making the sound they leak around the mid point so i need to caugh up about 350 dollars for all of them :(

2oodoor
02-10-2008, 04:05 AM
Just o rings on the injectors, it would be a waste to buy new ones if those are working.
The tdc mark acturally looks like this -T- , dash tee dash
It is not nearly as visable as all the other marks, for some reason.
You probably can run two degrees or more base timing for more low end power, just don't go wild and if it pings, back it off a hair. I use 93 octane in my car for number of reasons, that being one of them, I can run more advance which means less throttle opening for Normal Driving. heh heh

2oodoor
02-10-2008, 04:15 AM
yeah adjust the valve lash, pay close attention you are holding the feeler guage level in the gap.
I know the annoying, rap noise you speak of.... lol
It sounds like rod bearings sometimes, but more like the bottom of your ring tapping on a thick table.. ehh?
You may want to do a seafoam treatment, half can in the fuel tank, the other half sucked in thru the pvc hose while you hold the throttle a little to keep it running during.

Dr_Snooz
02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Try replacing the injector o-rings first (~$40). If that doesn't do it, just replace the injectors that are actually leaking. There's no need to replace injectors that are still working.

levon2008
02-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Try replacing the injector o-rings first (~$40). If that doesn't do it, just replace the injectors that are actually leaking. There's no need to replace injectors that are still working.
its wierd i did replace all of the o rings but they all leak from the part where the connector plugs in just below it. So i think i have to replace em all.

levon2008
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
yeah adjust the valve lash, pay close attention you are holding the feeler guage level in the gap.
I know the annoying, rap noise you speak of.... lol
It sounds like rod bearings sometimes, but more like the bottom of your ring tapping on a thick table.. ehh?
You may want to do a seafoam treatment, half can in the fuel tank, the other half sucked in thru the pvc hose while you hold the throttle a little to keep it running during.

yep thats the sound really annoying :)

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
its wierd i did replace all of the o rings but they all leak from the part where the connector plugs in just below it. So i think i have to replace em all.

Mine were too. You need new injectors.

MessyHonda
02-13-2008, 12:08 AM
yeah the other day i checked and one of my injector is leaking from the top...it not a bad leak but its moist around it...i need to get a fire extinguisher also

skycam_313
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
hell one of the injectors on my celi just gave out one day....

Dr_Snooz
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I so love that these cars can have a problem, let you know there's a problem, but still keep running until you can get around to fixing the problem.

levon2008
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
yea the japanese are really talented my hats off to them. I swear by honda, its the only car that i will ever purchase if i have to get another car its going to be a honda. My wife wants to get a car and i told her flat out it has to be a honda period, if she got a diffrent car im not fixing it :). So she doesnt prefer the older models but likes mine alot, Then i got to thinking hey what a opportunity I want to drive the acura RSX-S woot. Im going to buy that car for her, She got around to seeing it and she likes it alot yeshh. Acura = Honda in Japan :) so its all good.