PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Cant get the Crankshaft Pulley bolt out

kilgorq
02-09-2008, 09:24 PM
I am working on my brothers 89 Accord. And I can not get it apart to replace the timing belt. THe belt broke but I think the motor is OK. No signs of bent valve from the top ant the motor turns fine by hand. No funny noises.

I have Tried 2 impact wrenches. And wedged 3 large screwdrivers in the holes in the pulley breaking them all. The I tried a pry-bar and still it will not budge. What direction does it turn? Is it standard thread or reverse threaded. Any help would be great. Any tips beside heat. Worried about heat due to rubber seal and plastic timing cover.

A20A1
02-09-2008, 09:48 PM
the flames can also start a fire so be careful

I honestly forget which way to turn it, just download PAULs Honda Shop Manual and it'll tell you.
I'm pretty sure it's just like every other bolt (counterclockwise to loosen)

If it was important that it loosens reverse ( clockwise ) then it would be listed on this site, but so far I haven't seen anyone mention it.

I'll double check and get back to you.

EDIT: okay maybe the shop manual wont tell you... everything suggests turning the bolt counterclockwise to rotate the crank but thats just cause the engine rotates that way... but then it never says how to loosen it... I'm sure it must be in chapter 6 or 7 where it talks about the crank.

MessyHonda
02-10-2008, 11:12 PM
i had to use a heavy duty impact gun only way to take it out...never tired it by hand because you might have to use like a 5 feet braker bar

BITESIZE
02-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Heavy ass duty air gun will get it off, nothing else my friend.

carotman
02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
It's just a regular bolt that is a pain to get out.

You could try to block the flywheel in place.

jigga89SEi
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
It is standard thread,. is the motor still hooked to the tranny? Put it in gear, block the wheels, put your screwdrivers in there to stop it too, Get a long pole, 1/2" breaker bar, and a 17mm or 19mm depending,.. Phut the breaker bar and socket on the bolt and hang from that mofo till it comes loose...

jigga89SEi
02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
BTW, you'll want to put the tranny in reverse

syclinsam
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I wanted to add Crankshaft Pulley bolt method to this thread. I just replaced another timing belt using pretty much the same way.

At sears I bought a craftsman 1/2" 19mm high impact deep socket ($11.99) and then 24" breaker bar at a local habor junk type of tool store($14.95).

Front of the car up on jackstands and front left wheel off. Soaked the bolt with rust buster. Then I put a jack stand pin in the one hole on the pulley with the majority of it sticking out away from the engine. Your deep set socket on the bolt and this pin in the pulley hole. Turn the pulley untill it is down and to your right. Put a tire iron (i used the one that came with the car) over top of the pin but under the socket. When your turn the breaker bar to loosen the bolt, the tire iron turn will come up toward the back of the car until it comes in contact with the driveshaft and stops the pulley from turning. You have to hold the whole thing in place until it pinches tight against the driveshaft. This has worked for me it may not work for everyone.

I don't know how clear this is, I can explain it better if anyone needs it.

russiankid
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
That method can crack the pulley if not careful. I payed a local muffler shop $20 so they could heat up the bolt with a torch and use their impact gun. Since then, I've torqued the bolt correctly and haven't had an issue with loosening it.

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Removing the crank pulley is a simple three-step process:

1. Slip a 1/2" socket extension through the timing light hole
2. Go apeshit on the bolt
3. Crack open a cold one

:D

A18A
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
i just lock the flywheel with something (then you dont get all the play between the clutch & wheels) then stick a wheel brace on the bolt & hammer it in the loose direction till it comes undone :)

mephi
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I just use one of my favorite tools. Ingersoll-Rand 231C at about 110 PSI. Works every time (at least for me). I have also taken a grinder to the bolt head and the just replaced the bolt with another one from Honda.

Keachman1
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I use a 1/2" impact gun called an earthquake I bought at Harbor Freight for about $100 bucks. It's got 5 settings ranging from 100 Ft-lbs to 700 Ft-lbs at 135 psi. I use it with a deepwell impact socket with no extension. Works everytime. Don't use an extension with an impact as it cuts the force in half.

I don't use this impact to install any bolts as it is way too strong. It will literally jump out of your hand and I'm a big guy.

I've used it on a dozen or more 3rd gens and it has never failed. I've tried a Sears impact for 10 minutes and it wouldn't budge the bolt. The earthquake hit it three or four times and broke it loose. This impact is well worth the money.