PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized Headlights

HondaBoy
02-10-2008, 02:32 PM
this pertains to the outside surface of a plastic headlight lense.

my mom's '97 neon had the signature foggy yellow headlights as a majority of aged chryslers have. well over the years they have just gotten worse and worse. so bad as she had to drive with the high beams on just to see at night, still couldnt see very good. well i decided to try something. i picked up some 1000 and 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper and some meguiars PlastX clear pastic cleaner and polish at work. stuff goes for about $6-$7 for the 10oz bottle. anyways i sanded the rough oxidation off the headlight with the 1000 grit sand paper and plastic surfaces wet. used a circular motion. when the rough oxidized surface had come off, i went over it again wet, with the 1200 grit until it became quite smooth. dried the lense surface and used a 6 inch foam polishing pad attached to a drill to spread and work the polish on the plastic lense. i went over it about 7-9 times to completely smooth the surface out and ended with a new looking headlight with no yellow and no haze. this worked for me. took about 25 minutes to complete the process. spent about $15 and still have enough sand paper and polish to do a bunch more. also did this on my friends audi's headlights that were pitted. they came out very nice also and improved night driving noticeably.
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/products/product_G12310.jpg

this product has also worked for me on other plastic surfaces, not always smooth surfaces either. but mainly on smooth plastic is where it works best.

for a smoother finish, go over with 2000 grit and/or 2500 grit. i would recommend that, but it will buff out with the process i used.

87roach
02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Awesome man, good work and post some pics.

HondaBoy
02-10-2008, 05:23 PM
yeah i should have taken before and after pix. didnt get around to that. will probably do this again soon. i guess i can do this on the front turn signal lights because they are in need of this also.

Vanilla Sky
02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I had to do something similar on my mom's old Mazda 626. Easy fix, but it sucks that it won't last. In a few years, it'll have to be done again. Stupid plastics.

The optical quality of plastic sucks. How often do you see a camera lens made from plastic?

cubert
02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I had to do something similar on my mom's old Mazda 626. Easy fix, but it sucks that it won't last. In a few years, it'll have to be done again. Stupid plastics.

The optical quality of plastic sucks. How often do you see a camera lens made from plastic?

thats unfortunate...mazda 626's suck ass...(or at least the one my mother owns :lol:)

I think im gonna give this a try :thumbup:

Vanilla Sky
02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Only the 4 cylinder with the auto trans.

BITESIZE
02-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I need to do this to my 98 accord. Thanks for the information.

MessyHonda
02-11-2008, 12:58 AM
yeah need to do it to my moms mini van but one of the lights is cracked so no point of doing it when water gets in.

Demon1024
02-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Hell i just used acetone to clean mine then cleaned it with alcohol. $2