PDA

View Full Version : key wont come out of ignition?

mboardman
02-12-2008, 07:31 AM
My key sometimes wont turn all the way to the off position, after shutting the car off, and allow me pull the key out. Ive also noticed the steering wheel must be in the centered position (wheels straight) for the key to release. The auto trans wont shift out of park either when this happens.

Is this an ignition switch issue? Or a shift interlock issue?

And just how much are the ignition switches anyway? I saw one link that quoted close to $200 for the assembly, but a post in this thread indicated only $50?

Either way, the key can be difficult to get out, but I have NOT experienced the car shutting off while driving. not yet at least. I also never have a problem starting the car - the key turns fine clockwise, no difficulty. Just removing the key is the problem.

2drSE-i
02-12-2008, 08:19 AM
its just that your car doesnt know its in park, the switch is old and worn out. My car does the same thing.

Oldblueaccord
02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Most likely its the switch but you could take a look at your key. If the teeth are worn you need a new one made.

wp

mboardman
02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
sorry, should have mentioned Ive tried a new key, same thing.

BITESIZE
02-12-2008, 10:51 AM
The key could have been made shitty too though. That happened to me. I use it as a 3rd spare key for emergencies. I have to use pliers to get it out of the ignition. I would go to a locksmith and have a real one made. You don't want it to break off in your ignition.

DBMaster
02-12-2008, 11:23 AM
This is actually a pretty common issue. I don't think it is your switch or your ignition lock. It still wouldn't be a bad idea ti spray some graphite lock spray into the ignition lock.

Your steering wheel needs to be "unloaded" when you shut the car off. The wheels do not have to be centered, but there needs to be little or no pressure pushing the steering wheel to one side or the other. If it is locked up, try just relieving the force on the sterring wheel by turning it just a hair until you feel no pressure on the lock mechanism.

w261w261
02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
This happened to me last year. A new ignition switch solved the problem. I didn't try the graphite spray or anything, figuring that after 20 years it was time for a new switch anyway. I had a locksmith (for $25) change the new switch over to my old key.

Blkblurr
02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
This is a condition I have replied to many times. Check to see if your Park indicator is on. If not its the switch in the gear shift console. The grease is old and sticky and the switch does not make. When this happens the key lock will not disengage. It happems most often during cold weather. You will need to take the switch apart and remove the old grease and put new back in. Once this is done your problem will be gone.

nfs480
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
This is a condition I have replied to many times. Check to see if your Park indicator is on. If not its the switch in the gear shift console. The grease is old and sticky and the switch does not make. When this happens the key lock will not disengage. It happems most often during cold weather. You will need to take the switch apart and remove the old grease and put new back in. Once this is done your problem will be gone.

Yeah, I have this exact issue and it only happens when it's really cold out. I now carry two keys with me so I can use the automatic shift lock override. Usually after the interior of the car warms up it's no longer a problem.

Blkblurr
02-14-2008, 05:19 AM
You should just fix the problem. It's really not too hard to do.

mboardman
02-14-2008, 06:56 AM
The key could have been made shitty too though. That happened to me. I use it as a 3rd spare key for emergencies. I have to use pliers to get it out of the ignition. I would go to a locksmith and have a real one made. You don't want it to break off in your ignition.

The key was made at a honda dealership from a lookup on the vin. Id think that would be good enough?

Yes, just yesterday I noticed that the red box around the Park dash indicator was not on when the key wouldnt come out. I'll check on that. What kind of grease do you use? Dielectric?

Also, could I bypass the entire shift lock thing? I dont need it.....

thanks fellas.

nfs480
02-14-2008, 01:21 PM
You should just fix the problem. It's really not too hard to do.

I might fix it later this spring when it's warmer. Right now it's only a small annoyance.

stocklxi
02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Also, could I bypass the entire shift lock thing? I dont need it.....
AMEN, bump cuz i hate this crap, i once beat my shifter with a baseball bat in order for it to register in gear, or someone link a write up on how to clean that switch cuz it sux, thanks

Zwolfe
02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
My folks 89 coupe has this happen. I recently drove it around for 2 weeks and had to deal with it. My 89 & 87 don't have this problem, so I was like wtf?

First time it happened it was early in the morning and I swung by a McDonalds on the way in to work and I almost always get out and walk in. Damn key wouldn't come out. Looked at car out the windows of McDonalds the entire time I was in there with the key in the switch.

Doubt this 'trick' works for everybody, but it does for the 89 coupe my folks have. Just leave the bastard sit in there for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Don't touch it. Just wait. Then it comes right out like there has never been a problem. Strange stuff, but it consistently works.

mboardman
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
actually, Ive found that if I pull or push the shift lever with enough force to make the P light up on the shift indicator in the dash instrument cluster (not violently, just steady pressure) it will release the key. Ive noticed when the key wont come out its always because the shift indicator isnt showing the red box around P for park. Move the handle enough and it will light it up and release the key. The switch does need replacing, but this is just a winter beater. Im not dumping money into her.

2drSE-i
02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
no need to replace the switch really...just open it up, clean the old grease out, clean up the contacts and pack it back up with some electrical grease. good as new :-)

Blkblurr
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
actually, Ive found that if I pull or push the shift lever with enough force to make the P light up on the shift indicator in the dash instrument cluster (not violently, just steady pressure) it will release the key. Ive noticed when the key wont come out its always because the shift indicator isnt showing the red box around P for park. Move the handle enough and it will light it up and release the key. The switch does need replacing, but this is just a winter beater. Im not dumping money into her.
Doesn't cost anything to fix if you do it yourself.

CdaIdaho
12-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the great ideas from 5 years ago...I'm having this problem in north idaho and will try the remedies mentioned...

Hauntd ca3
12-26-2013, 01:44 PM
heres a tip.
if your auto wont shift into park or let you turn the key right off, check to see if your brake lights work.
most cars have the shifter lock solenoid powered off the brake light circuit.
failed brake light switches are the most common fault.
you will know if there is a circuit fault if you dont hear a click from the shifter area when you press the brake pedal with the ign on

charliekuney
12-27-2013, 09:24 PM
We all realize that you have to push the key into the ignition when removing the key, right? Isn't that Honda's thing?

lostforawhile
12-28-2013, 11:08 AM
We all realize that you have to push the key into the ignition when removing the key, right? Isn't that Honda's thing?
there is an ignition lock interlock on auto cars, if the transmission isnt in park or the switch on the shifter is malfunctioning in some way, switch bad,fuse blown etc, the solenoid wont release the key

w261w261
12-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I think the problem occurs in both places. In my case it was the ignition switch. I have a 5 spd.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk