PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Timing

igarut5410
02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
What is a safe degree before top dead to advance my timing.... I am running 92 octane gas and I want to know what you guys advance your timing too from experience

Oldblueaccord
02-17-2008, 09:46 AM
If your commited to high octane fuel you can go pretty high. The red neck rule is "all it will take and back it off a notch".Big thing is listen to the motor as far as pinging. Also be wary as you go farther with your advance it will limit the car at very high rpm. Pushing it at this limit is usually where the damage occurs since you will not be able to hear it pinging by ear.

wp

2oodoor
02-17-2008, 02:53 PM
redneck rule FTW, dam I didn't know you named it blue

I couldn't tell you what mine is at, I put the light on it for base reference and started moving it up from there 2 degrees at a time 2x, after driving it a few times I moved it where I like it and never put a light on it again. I look at the mark on the dist.trom the hold down bolts to see where it was and how much to move it. If I had to guess, the mark that is supposed to be on 15 is around 22. I am sure this is not helpful information at all , sorry.

Whiter
02-24-2008, 08:25 AM
kick it up a tooth and retard it to the fullest.. atleast thats what my brother did for me when i put them big monster tires on it in the summer, i think its back to normal now he might have switched it up again cause i was getting little backfires at the low end in second gear

2oodoor
02-25-2008, 04:00 AM
sledneck rule?

baby D
04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
i advanced the cam one tooth, and the pinging, and lack of power went away, just retard the dizzy a bit

baby D
04-05-2008, 10:21 AM
2 teeth 16 degreese, 1 tooth is 8

Dr_Snooz
04-05-2008, 10:57 PM
If your commited to high octane fuel you can go pretty high. The red neck rule is "all it will take and back it off a notch".Big thing is listen to the motor as far as pinging. Also be wary as you go farther with your advance it will limit the car at very high rpm. Pushing it at this limit is usually where the damage occurs since you will not be able to hear it pinging by ear.

wp

Just know that it can be really hard to hear these cars pinging. I had my timing way off for a couple thousand miles and never heard a thing until I drove under a freeway overpass with the windows down. Ugh.