PDA

View Full Version : idle issues

evil88accordLX
02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
okay, so i havent been here for a while. no internet will do that......

heres the skinny, the car starts fine, idles fine, and drives without hesitation. but sometimes after about 15 minutes or so, if i am stopped at a light or stop sign, the idle drops to like 500 and the engine lopes. it doesnt die, but acts like it wants to. if i put the car in neutral or park, the idle returns to normal and the loping stops. any ideas what this could be? also, its cold as hell here right now and im not sure if it has anything to do with it, but this is a new problem so maybe the cold is doing something after the car is all warmed up?

Oldblueaccord
02-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Barring all the other usual idle problem areas this one sounds like the torque converter is not freeing up at idle. Possibly due to the cold temps on the trans fluid. I think there was a TSB on our cars for it.

wp

Demon1024
02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey your back! You still in Ar? Sorry no info on auto's bolth mine are part's cars if your still round hit me up if you need anything

Hauntd ca3
02-14-2008, 12:31 AM
if you have an auto it sounds like the stator or turbine could be ssticky in the converter
causing it to produce to much drive for the idle programing to handle
a good trans flush and fluid change might do the job

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Bad gas? Time for a tune up? Carb could be dirty. That's the easy stuff.

evil88accordLX
02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey your back! You still in Ar? Sorry no info on auto's bolth mine are part's cars if your still round hit me up if you need anything

yep, still in arkansas. i do need a passenger side tail light for a sedan if you know where to find one.

"Bad gas? Time for a tune up? Carb could be dirty. That's the easy stuff. " tuned the car up about 6 months ago, air filter is clean, carb seems to be okay. i dont think its gas because in park and neutral the problem stops.

"if you have an auto it sounds like the stator or turbine could be ssticky in the converter
causing it to produce to much drive for the idle programing to handle
a good trans flush and fluid change might do the job " i flushed and changed the fluid about 8 months ago, so i dont think that would be it. is the stator or turbine IN the tranny or external, so i could clean it out if possible?

"Barring all the other usual idle problem areas this one sounds like the torque converter is not freeing up at idle. Possibly due to the cold temps on the trans fluid. I think there was a TSB on our cars for it." what is this TSB you speak of? id check it, but dont know what it is!

also, it was kinda warm yesterday, and the problem never occured. could it possible be a vacuum issue of some sort?