PDA

View Full Version : Installing Speedometer Cable

nfs480
02-13-2008, 06:04 PM
How complicated is it to install a speedometer cable. I'm a beginner to auto work and my speedometer twitches at higher speeds and I hear a clicking noise coming from under the dash. The cruise doesn't always work either. If someone has replaced their speedo cable could you please give me a brief summary of what all is involved? Thanks!

BITESIZE
02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
It's pretty easy, just takes a little time and coaxing.

BITESIZE
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Theres a little clip hooking it to the transmission. Pull the clip out. Don't lose the clip. Pull the cable from the transmission. Snake it through the firewall. Unmount it from the back of your guage cluster. Like I said, it's easy just takes some time and alot of jack and coke. lol

nfs480
02-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Theres a little clip hooking it to the transmission. Pull the clip out. Don't lose the clip. Pull the cable from the transmission. Snake it through the firewall. Unmount it from the back of your guage cluster. Like I said, it's easy just takes some time and alot of jack and coke. lol

Sweet, doesn't sound too bad. Now I just need some decent weather.

BITESIZE
02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I need to replace my speedo cable too. The cable is in two pieces now.

nfs480
02-14-2008, 05:41 PM

How'd that happen? Can it just wear out and snap?

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Not enough grease.

lgoldtop
02-16-2008, 09:15 PM
yeah be careful after you pull it out not to get dirt into the tranny and DONT LOSE THE BOLTS!!! lol

mavric240
06-26-2008, 05:28 AM
Does anyone have pictures of how the the cable is changed at the dashboard end. Can't find anything in any of the manuals.

lostforawhile
06-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Does anyone have pictures of how the the cable is changed at the dashboard end. Can't find anything in any of the manuals.
remove your instrument cluster,but don't pull it out all the way. pull it out some,now feel behind it, follow the speedo cable to the back of the speedo,you'll feel a clip, push this clip and the cable will come out the back of the speedo. now remove the cluster the rest of the way. after that it's just a matter of removing the cable the rest of the way. it's hard to explain without seeing it, i could have the cable out in five minutes but hard to tell someone else how to do it.

Demon1024
06-26-2008, 10:40 PM
just a little to add but if you push the cable into the firewall a bit it makes it much easier to get behind the cluster.
And i've never had to take one of these all the way out but i'm curious now, they come out the inside right? i'd figure the clip behind the cluster wouldn't fit threw the firewall but,yeah curious

Civic Accord Honda
06-26-2008, 11:00 PM
mine is too lol
I'm on my 2nd one that's what i get for replacing my broken one with one that has 370K miles on it ay?
i pulled my dash out when i swapped it made it so much easier i had to pull my dash out anyway tho i had to replace it

lostforawhile
06-27-2008, 01:37 AM
cah you't don't need to pull the entire dash to change a speedo cable, not everyones likes doing things the hard way

Civic Accord Honda
06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
cah you't don't need to pull the entire dash to change a speedo cable, not everyones likes doing things the hard way
i said i had to change my dash out anyway so i did it all at once foo

Demon1024
06-30-2008, 08:08 AM
dash or cluster. how'd you swap the vin number back on if whole dash?

lostforawhile
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
it's riveted on, nothing illegal about it, since it's getting the correct one for the chassis that it came from. just make sure to swap it, or if you don't and get pulled over,it will be hard to explain. dril out the center of the rivets then pop rivet in the original one on the new dash. there is a series of hidden stamped numbers on the radiator center support too, really stupid,since any car thats even been in a minor wreck will have that swapped out. found them by accident,if i remembr right they were under the sticker.