PDA

View Full Version : moisture in taillights?

djsbon
09-19-2002, 08:33 AM
yeah, i've been having dewy morning here in good ol' sout' joisey and every morning when i go to school, i see a crazy amount of moisture in my tail lights.. what the hell do i do?! helppp. i don't know if it hurts anything electronically, but it just looks like shit and i'm not diggin' it.

Mike89Accordcom
09-19-2002, 09:46 AM
Sometimes you just can't prevent it. Best you can do is clean them out. My LED in m spoiler gets wet, and twice now has burned out all 50 of the little bulbs in there do to moisture. It will get in headlights and tailights. It sucks.

djsbon
09-19-2002, 11:25 AM
yeah it does suck.. thanks though

shepherd79
09-19-2002, 12:58 PM
i think it doesn't have anough ventilation in them.
i have the same problem with headlights. one time i had so much water that it blew my xenon light bulbs in pieces.

doug
09-19-2002, 01:11 PM
I've actually spent too much time trying to eliminate this and thank GOD, I finally did. the problem stems from poor design..DUH, but can be fixed by replacing the dense foam gaskets that fit between the housing and the body, or if you don't want to buy the gaskets make your own. Possible material canidates are cork or dense vinyl placemats for dinner tables that can be cut to fit the original gasket shape. I'd also suggest a thin layer of butyl rubber caulk between the bosy and gasket and gasket and housing. I think, at least in my case, the problem is in time messing up the seal of the old gasket and also the studs pulling away from the taillight housing thus making the seal less than very tight as originally built. Was this confusing? Read it again, and good luck!

offthahook
09-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by doug
I've actually spent too much time trying to eliminate this and thank GOD, I finally did. the problem stems from poor design..DUH, but can be fixed by replacing the dense foam gaskets that fit between the housing and the body, or if you don't want to buy the gaskets make your own. Possible material canidates are cork or dense vinyl placemats for dinner tables that can be cut to fit the original gasket shape. I'd also suggest a thin layer of butyl rubber caulk between the bosy and gasket and gasket and housing. I think, at least in my case, the problem is in time messing up the seal of the old gasket and also the studs pulling away from the taillight housing thus making the seal less than very tight as originally built. Was this confusing? Read it again, and good luck!

Sounds good. I have heard of drilling tiny weep holes in the bottom of the lenses, but that doesn't really the solve the main problem. New gaskets that fit tight would prolly help a lot.