PDA

View Full Version : strange ticking

2oodoor
02-14-2008, 06:26 AM
OK I have not had a chance to look at this yet, but this morning there was a strange ticking sound coming from the left side of the dash. It very much resembled someone tapping an an aquarium glass.
This happened at a red light, and then later when I got to work in the parking lot. As far as I saw no electircal issues, everything seemed to be working right. It is the wierdest sound I ever heard coming from a car, very precise rhythmic tapping, like on glass.
I am curious if anyone else has ever run across this on their Accord.

Civic Accord Honda
02-14-2008, 06:38 AM
i wouldent know my whole car makes 3258274241714783 ratteling sounds XD

turabaka
02-14-2008, 07:35 AM
lol CAH. um... speedo cable maybe? I don't know how to fix it, but that seems to be the usual problem when that clicking noise happens. I had mine do that once when it wasn't seated quite right after reinstalling my gauge cluster.

MessyHonda
02-14-2008, 07:42 AM
loose screw...on my dx...i only have like 3 screws holding up the dash because i was going to take it out to paint it and never did because i got the lx-i...now at stoplight it shakes and i have to tap it with my foot to make the vibrating stop

cubert
02-14-2008, 08:26 AM
lol CAH. um... speedo cable maybe? I don't know how to fix it, but that seems to be the usual problem when that clicking noise happens. I had mine do that once when it wasn't seated quite right after reinstalling my gauge cluster.

Thats what i was thinking...but i would think a speedo cable wouldnt be such a deep tapping noise...

turabaka
02-14-2008, 08:46 AM
True. I can't think of what else it could be though. Maybe there's something loose under the dash? like a screw or something like that? although that probably wouldn't cause a rythmic tapping.

2oodoor
02-14-2008, 09:48 AM
This was NOT a vibration related noise , at least I dont think so, by the way it was ticking perfectly. The car was not moving when I heard it as well. It was not the flasher, possibly a relay maybe going haywire... the headlights are on when this happens. I really don't want elaborate much on what I think, I am looking for someone who maybe has heard this same thing before :wave:

Oldblueaccord
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
WAG here.

hook your timing light up and see if the noise goes with the light(strobe) that will tell you what it is.

:huh:

assuming you mean you hear the noise running. One of my 80 accords did it to. Carefull it is high voltage.

wp

2ndGenGuy
02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I bet money that it's one of the vacuum solenoids that controls your heater box. When they break off of their respective flap, they overextend, then lose vacuum and collapse, then build up vacuum, overextend and collapse, and that's what you're hearing. Check if all of your vents are properly working like they're supposed to. Could even be the solenoid that controls the recirculation flap though, and your vents would all still work.

snoopyloopy
02-14-2008, 09:28 PM
one of my corner lights rattles. maybe you're having something similar?

2oodoor
02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I bet money that it's one of the vacuum solenoids that controls your heater box. When they break off of their respective flap, they overextend, then lose vacuum and collapse, then build up vacuum, overextend and collapse, and that's what you're hearing. Check if all of your vents are properly working like they're supposed to. Could even be the solenoid that controls the recirculation flap though, and your vents would all still work.

this one actually may be one to consider, since I get a draft pretty good even though the heater is on other vents. It really sounds like tapping on an aquarium glass, kinda a ting, I will look for the vacuum motor not enguaging, thanks.

2ndGenGuy
02-15-2008, 01:14 PM
this one actually may be one to consider, since I get a draft pretty good even though the heater is on other vents. It really sounds like tapping on an aquarium glass, kinda a ting, I will look for the vacuum motor not enguaging, thanks.

There are probably 3 or 4 of them down there. I think 3 on my car. Each one controls each flap individually, and are all attached to the heater box. They just break off with age, and unfortunately the only fix is to pull the heater box and replace the whole flap. The plastic just gets hard and brittle, and yeah I'm very familiar with that sound. :D

AccordB20A
02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
i had that happen once front the center of my dash. it was the climate control heater core box having a munt deciding it would turn the air onto face and then turn it off repeativly until i put it on foot haha