PDA

View Full Version : installing lsd into b2k5 transmissiopn

mykwikcoupe
02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Ok so Im getting geared up to run through this thing and install my quaife unit. Its been a few years since Ive really sat down everynight and read all the posts so Im not sure if this has come up anytime that I may have missed it. Is there anything that can be swapped gear wise to open up the legs on the JDM 5 speed. Rob said his gear ratio was really close and had to short shift alot.

Im also wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to get the thing opened, what to look for for wear wise, and reassembly procedures. This is my only 5 speed and I want to make sure its up to the daunting task of the turbo.

A18A
02-15-2008, 05:48 PM
ive heard that the b16a lsd would fit in the b2k5

RobT5580
02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Jean matched up part numbers and it appears that A20 gears will fit. If i recall everything should swap into our bell housing. Its on my "to do" list which is pretty big at the moment but i have my eyes out for an A20 gear set.

As for taking apart your tranny the hardest part is you have to take the two allen plugs out of the end and spread the c-clips open to release the housing. On top of breaking the seal so its not always easy but you will see what i mean. You might want to get the snap on allen for a ratchet. I bough a standard metal one and put a breaker bar on it.

RobT5580
02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
ive heard that the b16a lsd would fit in the b2k5

It does thats what im running you just have to use your speed sensor gear and ring gear.

mykwikcoupe
02-15-2008, 06:13 PM
It does thats what im running you just have to use your speed sensor gear and ring gear.

so the stock a20a gears work on the b2k5? does this also mean that the integra gears work also. I never looked into which gears are the longest and best for my application right now. When you took it apart, the allen plug reveals the c clips?

when reassembling, did you just use the hondaseal gasket maker stuff on bare metal surfaces?

anything that jumps out at you for things to watch out for. Im using the quaife unit also. is there any pre assembly stuff, or lubing of anything. what specialty tools are required inside the case so Im ready.

RobT5580
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah the allen plugs reveal the clips you will need a tool to compress the clips. I used special pliers for retaining clips i believe. I dont think anyone has verified that the gears work as of yet. I used hondabond to seal the housing after cleaning up the surfaces. As for tools you shouldn't need much other than the allen, pliers, and perhaps a pry bar. My gear stacks did come out easy on one tranny. My parts tranny was a little harder but i got it apart.

Thats all i can think of. Just keep it clean inside and take your time so you don't mess anything up. The clips were the hardest for me. Basically they lock the hole housing together so you cant pull it off until you compress it.

mykwikcoupe
02-15-2008, 07:59 PM
ok so are the stacks a complete unit that pulls out as an assembly or does it come apart piece by piece bearing and gear seperatly? If you had your choice rob since you drove a turboed b20a, what gear would be the most oportune to swap, all 5 or 1-3 or? What accord/prelude or integra have you driven that you would like to see the b20a gears setup as?

RobT5580
02-15-2008, 08:08 PM
The stacks are bolted up in two stacks and come out as stacks until you break it down by removing the large nut. As for gears im not sure but even on my stock b20a im driving now in 5th gear on the hwy im at 4k around 70mph. I was going to see if the a20 stacks fit in and just try them as is so i dont have to pull the stacks apart. Johnny O has messed around with the stacks and i think he said he was running stock 1-4 gears (a20) with an integra 5th but don't quote me on that.

mykwikcoupe
02-15-2008, 08:27 PM
jonny o has a b20a? I thought he was turboed a20a

RobT5580
02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah he was running an A20 but i was reffering to his gears since he was boosted.

MessyHonda
02-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Jean matched up part numbers and it appears that A20 gears will fit. If i recall everything should swap into our bell housing. Its on my "to do" list which is pretty big at the moment but i have my eyes out for an A20 gear set.

As for taking apart your tranny the hardest part is you have to take the two allen plugs out of the end and spread the c-clips open to release the housing. On top of breaking the seal so its not always easy but you will see what i mean. You might want to get the snap on allen for a ratchet. I bough a standard metal one and put a breaker bar on it.

i thought...the b18 housing shared the same specs as the a20 trans...im not sure about the b20 trans interchanging gears with the a20 tho

coope
02-16-2008, 09:20 AM
r the gear ratio gears shorter? in the b20a

RobT5580
02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
No one has verified this information so its not factual as of yet.

And yes the b20a gears are much shorter than the a20a3. I checked tonight and 4,000 rpm im doing about 75mph.

mykwikcoupe
02-16-2008, 09:13 PM
oh thats just not good enough for me. Im must say after driving my thunderbird around. 100 mph 5th gear 3400 rpm and a 12.70 1/4 time. I need something that drives like this or better. Im going to start pulling it apart in the morning and checking the thinknesses of the stock a20a3 5speed vs the b20a 5 speed. Im not sure if I really want to separate the stacks but well see when i open it up. anyone else have other equests while im in there? I dont think I want to make splitting the housings a common occurance

RobT5580
02-17-2008, 07:26 AM
You might be able to just swap the entire A20 stacks over to the b20a bell housing.

mykwikcoupe
02-17-2008, 09:45 AM
thats my thought actually. im printing up the online book for reference right now so Im not bringing oil into the house or touching my computer for that matter. Ill see about pics and such. I found a bag in the garage I never knew existed. Its a special order from honda full of bearings, seals and other goodies just for the lsd install. Lucky me

mykwikcoupe
02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
ok so Ill measure the gears themselves with a micrometer tomorrow if I get a chance. With a visual check the stacks themselves wont swap as they arent built the same and use totally differt shift linkages. Ill post pics on this later if I can figure out how.

Im wondering though since Ive got it apart, can anyone spare a non vtec b16/b18 final drive gear. Ill check that to specs to see if it swaps. Id like to figure out a way to extend the legs on the b2k5. Witht he lsd comming from these transmission I know it will fit the diff but will it fit the gears and casing? This may be an option.

Oh and thanks rob for the speedy call and knowledge I was able to get.

mykwikcoupe
02-18-2008, 01:10 PM
ok all done. total project time was about 3-4 hours from when the 1st bolt came out till the cases were back together. All I needed tool wise was a 14mm allen wrench, 8mm allen wrench, and a co

thegreatdane
02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice, another quaife powered B20 tranny. Do you remember what you payed for your LSD?

mykwikcoupe
02-18-2008, 03:19 PM
mine was new in box from a going out of business buy. It was 730 delivered to my door express mail 3 day delivery. I think its expensive but I hope itll be worth it since everyone else thinks the obx units are as good.

RobT5580
02-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I paid around a grand so you made out!

Let me know what you find out with the gears because i won't bother picking up an A20A3 tranny since you have one in you hands already!

thegreatdane
02-19-2008, 10:41 AM
wow $730 to your door, that's a steal!!

Hauntd ca3
05-01-2008, 11:50 PM
what ort of lsd is the quaife?
cone,clutch or viscous?

thegreatdane
05-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Torsen

Hauntd ca3
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM
not familiar with how the torsen works
the other three, yeah no worries but not the torsen
i reckon the vscous is best for street use but i want a clutch type
what are the b16a lsd,s

mykwikcoupe
05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I got the quaife unit because it is advertised as a 2 way not the stock 1 or 1.5 way. Everything seems ok considering all I can do is benchtest it as the engine still isnt in the car. The shifter seems a little tough from the center position over to the 5th/reverse section so im not sure if something needs to spin to mesh or it just needs to settle. Im also only using the rubber gromet outside the linkages not the leverages of the shifter itself. I know rob had issues the 1st time he had his apart also.

Hauntd ca3
05-06-2008, 12:07 AM
dont really see the point of a 2 way lsd in a fwd road car eh

mykwikcoupe
05-06-2008, 05:48 AM
turns count as a direction. staight line drag racing=1 way, forward direction and turns=1.5 way full time forwards, backwards and turns=2 way. better safe then sorry you know

RobT5580
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I got the quaife unit because it is advertised as a 2 way not the stock 1 or 1.5 way. Everything seems ok considering all I can do is benchtest it as the engine still isnt in the car. The shifter seems a little tough from the center position over to the 5th/reverse section so im not sure if something needs to spin to mesh or it just needs to settle. Im also only using the rubber gromet outside the linkages not the leverages of the shifter itself. I know rob had issues the 1st time he had his apart also.

I had/have this problem with my spare tranny that i have never used. I just noticed it when i ran through the gears by hand. Im pretty sure the tranny thats in my car felt fine as i would imagine i ran through the gears before and after the quaife install.

I could only guess that its a sycro or something but i have not had the time to mess with it but i still have it all apart. I never tried it in the car so it may not be noticable with the leverage of the shifter but i hate to find out that way.

If its bugging you there is a shop in California that specializes in re-building honda transmisssions for race applications. I considered it but still out of my ball park being my turbo is not together yet.

mykwikcoupe
06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
fired up my engine today and as i guessed theres a syncro out of wack or sothing is up. 1,2,3rd wont engage if the engine is running are hard to enage with the engine off. 4.5 feel great no issues at all. reverse grinds but otherwise feels good. Im ging to start pulling the transmission tonight and double check everything. i used honda MTF and thought it felt funny. Ill see how it look when I get it back apart.

If I remember correctly 1,2,3 are the closest stack to the differential 4,5th are next on a shorter stack and that engages reverse also. Guess its an issue someplace open since its not limited a single gear.

mykwikcoupe
06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
got it pulled apart and put back together. the top syncro didnt seat all the way and caused all my problems. After I fianlly got the clutch cable adjustment correct the engagement feels great. Theres a nasty sound comming from the transmission someplace but drives great otherwise. I contacted quaife and they said from the sounds hes 100% sure its not the differential like I thought it was. Ive jacked up the car to get the axles striaght to see if there was too much preeload or something. I did find out I didnt seat mt axle nuts correctly and they were lose. Ill take it for a testdrive later and try little things to see if the sound goes away or not.

2ndGenGuy
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Cool man. Glad you're getting it worked out. Sounds like a huge bitch to pull that shit over and over again. But you're doing something the car wasn't meant to do, so modifications and shit are expected.

b20a86lude
07-25-2009, 04:47 PM
hey i read szome where that the b16 aftermarket lsd will work

b20a86lude
08-02-2009, 12:33 PM
can anyone confirm this im this close to buyin a cusco lsd .

RobT5580
08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Its is confirmed that the Quaife LSD will fit from the 99+ Civic Si and I was the one that confirmed it so i know it works.

mykwikcoupe
08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
yeah the issues I had turned out to be a lose nut. during speeds of any level it would growl like a bad bearing. i went back through and reinstalled everything at stock suspension hieght and it went away. I felt kinda dumb calling quaife out on the carpet for selling a defective unit new. Turns ouit they were right and I tried to skip a step in hast. The axles install a little harder but it works great

b20a86lude
08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
wait wat did the stock height have to do wit it

also rob did u confirm that cusco will work or no

MessyHonda
07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
ok update...will the a20 gears work on the b20 trans? also on the lsd can we use the ITR 4.4 ring? i have a good deal with a used b16 lsd with 4.4 final drive but i want to use the stock 5th gear from the a20 trans because mine was brand new

Don_Enco
09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Sorry but I found a box b2k5 what LSD is from b16a, or b18, should it be transformed into something, etc.
can someone please tell because I'm such a box and want to put LSD

Versanick
09-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Are you guys using the b20a5 clutch for the b2k5 transmission?

I think last time I put a clutch in my gold top b20a with b2k5 transmission, I had to use a pressure plate from an a20 and the plate from something else.

I know guys with Black tops /f2k5 tranny can use b20a5 clutch, but can we?

Ichiban
09-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm using the A20 recessed style flywheel with the A20 212mm disc/pressure plate. I'm also running a B18A bellhousing with A18 tranny on the B20A gold top, in an 82 Accord hatchback. If that makes any sense to you.

mykwikcoupe
09-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Im using the prelude b20a5 pressure plate and clutch kit from the 3rd gen prelude si. It rubs a little on the trans but when the pressure plate was purchased from some DB on the board here it was known to be a true jdm from the b20a. The faggot lyed and I paid for it. It works well and so far no issues other then the rubbing which has been talked about many times and fixed by YK and mike lee.

Ichiban
09-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I've got an ACTUAL B20A flywheel, and really no use for it. It came from 2ndgenguy (John), who got it from woahdog (aaron)

mykwikcoupe
09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Ill take it, how much to ship it back to me. 98270. Thanks. Im about 90 minutes from john so hopefully not too much

Ichiban
09-18-2010, 03:08 PM
It's actually down at my parents house about 5min north of the WA border. It moved about 10 feet from where John dropped it off. I'm up in northern Alberta right now, want me to ship it when I get back?

mykwikcoupe
09-18-2010, 07:29 PM
sure sounds good or I can meet you someplace in between. Whatever you would like.

charliekuney
09-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Or Charlie could pick it up in exchange for a set of cup holders. ;)

mykwikcoupe
09-19-2010, 10:03 AM
that might work if its cool for you to go get it from his parents house while he is gone. You would have to find me a set to buy you though. im happy with both that I have now.

charliekuney
09-19-2010, 01:03 PM
People sell them here and on eBay. I'll find something. Vanilla Sky has a set but there's something different about them. I'm waiting for pictures.

...I thought the T-Bird was going to Zack?

mykwikcoupe
09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
bird is going to zack? What brought that up? I was reffering to the set of cupholders in the coupe as well as the hatch.

charliekuney
09-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Nevermind: I thought this thread was about the Ford.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/images/smilies/innout.gif

Ichiban
09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
yeah shoot me a pm when you've got it figured out

mykwikcoupe
04-04-2011, 05:15 PM
well another update. i was pushing the coupe out of the garage since I dont have an exhaust on it yet and every turn of the transmission sounds like its skipping a tooth, the gears arent meshing or something isnt good inside. Looks like ill have to pull it apart again. Im going to get a few price quotes locally and see if a honda shop can do it for me. last time the c clip on the end of the stack wasnt seated in the groove on the stack but I was sure to check that it had collapsed into the seat last time or so I thought? Oh well.

AccordB20A
05-07-2011, 01:27 AM
to clear up some info on LSD's and diffs:

as far as i know to swap a diff you need to keep the ring gear that matches your gearboxes countershaft, there are many different diff ratios and some even being the same the teeth will not match up.

hydro OEM b16a2 LSD will not work i believe as you cannot swap your ring gear to it as its got like 14 or so bolts where the a20/b20 diffs have 10 bolts.

hydro "non b18c diffs" are the same as a20/b20, you can swap your a20/b20 ring gear onto these b16a/b18a1/b18b open diff's

type R LSD will not fit as the 10 bolt ring gear pattern is different to the a20/b20 10 bolt ring gear bolt pattern and the diff is physically larger and the ring gear wont fit over it.

ive also figured out b18c y80 and s80 gearboxes use the bigger 10 stud ring gear, LSD or non LSD/type r are all the same n these boxes. nothings compatible that i know of.

b20a86lude
05-18-2011, 06:24 AM
can anyone confirm the a20 bearing seat and gasket is the same for the b20a i need new bearings and new seals for bk tranny