PDA

View Full Version : Help, need advice on bearing replacement

paulwwww
02-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Just put new upper control arms on my 89 accord dx, took it up for a front end alignment. They told me the bearings on one side need replaced. Looked at the manual, the bearings are in the knuckle hub, guess you need a special tool to press them in, as well as getting the old out. Has anyone out here needed that done? I am always leery when some of these shops tell you that something needs to be done. I know a lot of time these suspension parts, yes wore, but may still get quite a few miles out of them before replacement, anyone out here know whether this is one of those or not?

russiankid
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
How did they determine that you need new bearings when they did an alignment?

paulwwww
02-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, of course the shop was closing so I wasn't able to look at it. Gonna run up there tomorrow, anything in particular I should look for, buddie of mine sad to look for a torn boot and maybe some grease in the inside of the wheel., What do you think?

mykwikcoupe
02-15-2008, 08:09 PM
that would be the cv axle. The hub itself with bearing installed wont show wear unless its really bad. The way I do mine is to jack up the car and support the weight by jackstands to relieve the suspension of all weight or load carried. Grab the wheel and try pulling it from side to side and top to bottom looking for excessive movements or slop.

If you determine that the beariung is bad by checking all the joints and bearings for slop. You remove the rotor exposing just the hub. Take a slide hammer and hook it to the hub by bolting something across to lugs and slide the hammer. I made the tool in about 5 minutes using 1/4 inch by 2 inch steel I have everywere. Itll pull out in 3-4 slides really easy. The install is the reverse. Line it up and start tapping. Oh and make sure to tap it in straight and use a block or something so you at no time directly hit the bearing

paulwwww
02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info, kinda wonder if this one might be outta my league a little. Might look around for the best estimate, not sure...

MessyHonda
02-16-2008, 12:38 AM
the bearing has to get pressed in...unless you have one or know any one your best bet would be to take yours out and take em to a shop. i had to take 2 knuckles....its not that hard if you have the right tools.

Accordtheory
02-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I've replaced front wheel bearings twice, once on my accord, once on my friend's civic. It is a pain in the ass, even if you're experienced, good at working on cars, have the right tools, and even an adequate supply of beer.

..so you might want to take it in.

paulwwww
02-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Alright, think I am gonna try and pull this off. Evidently it is the passenger side that is bad, so I am gonna just do that side. I will remove everything and find a shop to press them out/in. Does anyone out here know where and what part I need? Should I buy a TIMKEN WHEEL BEARING HUB ASSEMBLY? Guess this comes with 4 wheel stubs on it. I also saw something about replacing the lower balljoint, already replaced upper control arm. Any info is great, thanks in advance....

DBMaster
02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Timken makes good bearings.