PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to turn over an engine with no battery

newaccorddriver
02-18-2008, 01:29 AM
like the topic says. short of having to actually jack the car up, and take off the drivers wheel to turn it, is there any other way? im trying to get my engine to TDC, but dont have a battery anymore. jacking up my car is one of the last things i want to do since space is very limited as well, but will do it as a last resort. another problem im probably going to encounter is that if im turning the engine the proper way, the crank pulley bolt might want to loosen up, and ill have to retighten it again

A18A
02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
you dont have to take the wheel off, you might have to turn it though. also you wont break the bolt loose from turning the crank bolt

newaccorddriver
02-18-2008, 01:50 AM
you dont have to take the wheel off, you might have to turn it though. also you wont break the bolt loose from turning the crank bolt

are you referring to me jacking up the front end and rotating the wheel? doesnt the engine turn only if both wheels are turning , not one?

A18A
02-18-2008, 01:59 AM
oh i thought you meant getting access to the crank bolt, it would be easier turning the crank bolt instead of the wheels. i do think you only need to jack up one side and leave the otherside on the ground and turn the wheel then the engine will turn

Demon1024
02-18-2008, 02:15 AM
?did you recently loosen the crankshaft bolt? that would be the easiest way to turn it. if you want to do it by turning the wheels please jack up both sides you may cause the car to move while it's on those jackstands= BAD STUFF if you only do one.
When i did my belt i had the same issue. i ended up torqueing it down just a little then trying to turn it. it shouldn't get stuck like the first time removing it just don't go to crazy on it

2oodoor
02-18-2008, 04:25 AM
take the plugs out, you can turn it over easily by hand

Soopitup
02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
mybad, didnt read from first post..

newaccorddriver
02-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Why wouldn"t you just get another battery instead of screwin with all that stuff... save some time if you did that in the first place.. Just a suggestion

cause i need to turn it to TDC and cranking the motor with the starter isnt going to help me that much

lostforawhile
02-18-2008, 07:25 PM
cause i need to turn it to TDC and cranking the motor with the starter isnt going to help me that muchjust turn the wheel to one side and stick a socket through the hole in the inner fender

LX-incredible
02-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Why do you need to start a new thread for EVERY question?

newaccorddriver
02-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Why do you need to start a new thread for EVERY question?

not every question is related to each other. this thread would be completely different compared to my thread about which sensor would control the gauge cluster, the crank key and its relation to TDC, and the one about how the coolant flows. if i stuck everything in one thread, it would be alot less clutter, but at the same time, these are specific questions, not generalized questions.

newaccorddriver
02-19-2008, 12:52 AM
just turn the wheel to one side and stick a socket through the hole in the inner fender

never thought of it like that. i always thought i had to take the wheel off in order to turn it. :cheers:

2oodoor
02-19-2008, 04:16 AM
never thought of it like that. i always thought i had to take the wheel off in order to turn it. :cheers:

there is actually an access plug in the spash sheild you pop out to stick a socket and extension thru, while you have the wheel cut to the left.