PDA

View Full Version : Cars dead need help

mastaofdisasta
02-18-2008, 06:38 AM
I started my car today before class and it was idling very rough. I then lightly touched the back andd the rpm's dropped to below 500, and then the car shut off. I started it again and hit the gas again and it shut off again, and now it wont even start. Dirty injectors? Spark plug wire? I need help

Krusty55
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not a great Honda guy, but I'll try to help. The Mantra is: "Spark, Air/Fuel supply, Compression." Without any one of these, the car won't run/start.

Check the spark first. Pull a lead, aim it at a grounding point and crank the car. A strong blue 1/4" spark means you have good spark, a sudden jolting shock to your arm means you need wires. No spark, check the coil. Also look for loose wires.

Listen for a whirring sound when you turn the key, that should mean the fuel pump is working. It's real hard to hear it, so you might need someone to listen at the pump (wherever it is). No fuel pump noise means any of a number of things discussed at length here on the forum. Happy searching!

You could run a compression check if you have the tools, given that the other items are good. If your timing belt is broken, I guess you'd get back-firing?

Of course, there could be ECU problems or sensors or a clogged fuel filter, etc, etc., but look for something simple first.

HTH Good luck,

Krusty55

Dr_Snooz
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
You might think it goes without saying, but are you out of gas?

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62781