PDA

View Full Version : Old gas? Spark Plugs? Or....?

Soopitup
02-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Hey I just picked up this 89 Accord Lx Carbed A20A1, It has been sitting for about 2 1/2 years... lucked out, it has an empty tank of gas, so i put like 2 bucks worth of premium in it ( all i had was a 2-Litre pop bottle to fill at the time) and she fired right up! but runs rough... carb smells dirty n like old gas...should I just run some carb cleaner thru there? and throw some fuel system/engine treatment and fill the tank? definitly changing the plugs... think that would solve my problem if i filled the tank, changed the plugs and let it idle for like half or a full tank...?

MessyHonda
02-19-2008, 01:51 AM
yeah i would seafoam her...and change out all the fluids.

russiankid
02-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Change the spark plugs, new fuel filters, and possibly a rotor and cap. Spray the carb with carb cleaner and let is sit for a little bit. Then start the car and run it all out and then spray carb cleaner into the carb while the engine is running. Spray is so the engine does not die, which means it has to be done in small bursts.

cubert
02-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Change the spark plugs, new fuel filters, and possibly a rotor and cap. Spray the carb with carb cleaner and let is sit for a little bit. Then start the car and run it all out and then spray carb cleaner into the carb while the engine is running. Spray is so the engine does not die, which means it has to be done in small bursts.

i agree with russian...do the basic tune up, and make sure the carb isnt gummed up

Soopitup
02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
right on, thanks, thats what i was going to do...just thought i'd ask the pros on this wonderful site ;) i have never heard the term seafoam... is it just a nickname for a regularly used product? or...? haha,

One more thing, it does has accel performance plug wires, but looks like they are off a civic or something where the plugs are under the valve cover, can i cut them and put proper ends on?

steveko
02-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Sure you can change the end. Just don't cut them too short and get the 45deg angle boots if you can,that's the stock boot angle coming off the plugs. I take it you already have the tool too put the terminal ends on. If not they supply it with some unmade up plug wires the cut too fit type.

86ccord
02-19-2008, 04:03 PM
yeah i would seafoam her...and change out all the fluids.

thats what i would do, but sure. normal tune up should do it, my car was sitting for 1 or 1 1/2 yrs somthing like that and it ran a lil rough but i did a tune up, changed some things out and seafoamed and was good to roll, so have fun! and good luck!

Soopitup
02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Ok Is seafoam a product? or what the hell is seafoam? never heard of it before!

Soopitup
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
So I put in NGK V-Power plugs today, made sure my plug wires were good, threw in $15.00 in Premium (small paycheck) and put half a bottle of octane booster it. Let it idle for about an hour....Runs better, I guess.... stopped smoking after about half hour... I dont know how to explain it...Its not exactly knocking...but not ticking... shakes alot...revs fine till about 3000-3500rpms then its kind of a bogging i guess..

I also picked up the primary fuel filter, havent gotten around to putting that on(i know its easy as hell, but it was a long day) I dont know if it needs it or not... Its running... idling around 1800(rough) would my fuel filter cause such a rough idle(i thought if the fuel filter was clogged then the car wouldnt idle yet alone start..??)

I tried to take a video to give you guys more of an idea of whats going on.. but my phone makes it sound like the motor is going to blow up (trust me, not that bad)

So ya... Kinda clueless at the moment, how long does it usually take to burn up old petrol?? Like the tank was empty, and since I put in the premium it has gone up to 1/4 tank..

Oh one more thing, Would it be possible that maybe the timing has jumped? would it still run almost normal/like what my car is doing? I'm not getting any backfiring or missing cylinders so thats good...

cygnus x-1
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Ok Is seafoam a product? or what the hell is seafoam? never heard of it before!

Seafoam is a solvent used to clean the carbon and gunk from the intake, valves, and pistons. And I think it can be used as a fuel additive as well, to clean out sticky injectors and carb jets. You can find it at most auto parts stores; comes in a white can. I would try the carb cleaner first though. More than likely the carb is gummed up. Sticky chokes are very common. Octane boost won't do anything useful for your problem.

Something else that might help is to take it out on the freeway and run it hard for awhile. Floor it from the on ramp and rev it up to 6000RPM or so. Then drive at about 4000RPM for maybe 15 minutes. It sounds counter intuitive but some engines just run better when they're warmed up good. This also helps to burn off the carbon deposits in the cylinders.

C|

Soopitup
03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Alright, didn't really answer my last question, but good to know! And did I not mention that the car has been sitting for 2 years and needs a clutch or some tranny work... haha any help would be awsome guys..

Soopitup
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
well i got a call from my brother, i am picking up his truck instead...buddy is taking too long with the paperwork for the accord, even after all i have fucked around with it and like the 100 i have spent, screw it...the truck has had 7000 put into in the last year, and i am pickin it up for 2000 and i can pay him whenever i get the money... so ya... i might get the accord if he does pull thru with the ownership paperwork...then fix it n sell it, otherwise...fuck it! thanks alot for your help, this site it tight! maybe i'll be back here in the future ;) peace out