PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts

cdm18911
02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
okay so i know i have bad motor mount(s)

just wondering which ones usually break

thanks

DBMaster
02-20-2008, 08:16 AM
The front one often cracks, tears, and eventually separates where the threaded rod comes out of the fluid filled "rubber biscuit," as I call it. If you replace that one you need to replace the rear lower mount at the same time as it gets compressed and weakened as a result of the same wear and tear. If you only replace the front one, as I did the first time, you will not be pleased as the amount of vibration actually seemed to INCREASE. Changing both makes a HUGE difference. Don't expect Acura-like smoothness as our cars do not incorporate totally fluid mounts and balance shafts like the 4g's. You will be pleased with the difference, though. If you have never replaced the left side mount I would do that one, too. Mine looked fine, but when I removed it I saw that it was split and collapsed as well. I have replaced my mounts twice in 281,000 miles.

nfs480
02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Make sure you replace them with Genuine Honda mounts too, they are far better and will definitely fix the vibrations. Most of the aftermarket ones don't seem to help with the vibrations at all. I replaced both my front and rear with Honda ones and now it runs smooth and like new.

DBMaster
02-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I second that! Plus, the aftermarket mounts are not really any cheaper anyway. That quality of rubber varies substantially from one manufacturer to the next even though it may look identical. No matter which way you go these mounts need to be replaced every 100-150K miles. They are just not any more durable than that. They deteriorate so gradually you don't even notice until, BAM, one day you realize that the contents of your glovebox rattle every time you sit at a traffic light.

AccordEpicenter
02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
ive broken the timing belt side mount, front motor mount near the radiator, and dogbone mount. I had problems with the rear trans mount but that was more of a hardware issue