PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Smog Testing

pimp86LX
09-19-2002, 02:59 PM
I FAILED!!!

i'm so pissed, cause everything works fine, no vacum leaks, no exauhst leaks, i got new plugs, wires, cap&rotar were fine, new muffler, did an oil change, and a new air filter

what gives? my CO level was 3.7(units?) and the limit was 0.74

could a bad cat cause that?

87accordlx
09-19-2002, 03:11 PM
ouch, i just got my reminder in the mail today, maby u got a bad 02 sensor?

pimp86LX
09-19-2002, 04:29 PM
mmm i don't know, how can i test something like that?

AC439
09-20-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
I FAILED!!!

i'm so pissed, cause everything works fine, no vacum leaks, no exauhst leaks, i got new plugs, wires, cap&rotar were fine, new muffler, did an oil change, and a new air filter

what gives? my CO level was 3.7(units?) and the limit was 0.74

could a bad cat cause that?

Make sure yout ignition timing is correct. The timing has significant effect on emission. Normally, the more you advance the timing, the more HC emission you will get. I'm not sure about CO but I think this could be the same. When you give sufficient time (retard the timing) for the air/fuel mixture to burnt, more O2 will combine with CO to produce CO2. Therefore the CO emission should be lower. Also make sure your fuel injector is clean. If the fuel spray pattern is bad due to partially clogged injector, the fuel drop is probably getting bigger so the burning will be incompleted thus producing more emission too.

89lxi95zx7
09-20-2002, 07:37 AM
my 89lxi failed because my coolant sensor was bad, it also made the ck. engine light come on.

pimp86LX
09-20-2002, 11:13 AM
86 LX man, but thanks for the advice, i will double check my timing

my paw is buying me a new cat so i'm not arguing it, lol

my HC was only 20ppm over the limit so it was tooo bad,