PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Questions

zAFW
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey everyone! Newbie here.

I got my hands on a Honda Accord LXi-EX '87 Fuel Injected Hatchback Automatic for about a month now. I think it used to be a manual but someone changed it to A/T. No idea. I don't know where this model stands. It seems everyone refers to this model as just LXi, which makes me wonder about the EX part ?

Anyhow, it's a nice car, one thing led to another and I just pretty much decided I want to rebuild it with style and performance. Better than making a loan and buying a new car. I don't know too much about cars and I don't have much money to spend since I'm a F/T student, I'm currently enrolled in an auto mechanic class. So if there are hard repairs I do it there. I would say I know how to tune up my car. So.. I know SOMETHING.

Anyhow I have problems and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to them.

Does anyone know where the wires for the door sensor goes? I looked under and I found that the previous owner was horrible, for some reason they cut the driver side door sensor. Now the car doesn't know if I open the door. It's a green and brown wire I think. I've looked around and have no idea.

The shift lever doesn't light up. I found out that nobody bothered to plug it in, it looks like it was cut though. I can power it up by using a red wire under the steering wheel but.. doing that makes it stays lit unless I unplug it. Any idea where this wire goes?

The PGM-FI light goes on after 20 minutes of driving. It blinks 12 times. I think it refers to the EGR valve but I have no idea how to check that out.

4. Vacuum tubes.. #17 is disconnected and have no idea where it goes. It comes from the box to a small plastic cover next to it (I'm thinking a filter?) and out from there is where I'm lost. Looking at the diagram on the hood doesn't help.

Yeah, that's all the questions I have for now. :P I have more but I'll wait. I really like the car, it has 266k on it and as the new owner of it I want it to last as well as have decent power on it. :D

Also, some tune up tips may help. The previous owner kept the car in bad shape, the air filter HAD to be at least several years old. It snapped in half when I tried to take it out.

So far I've changed:
Spark Plugs (NGK V plugs)
Air Filter
Rack and Pinion
Headlights
Courtesy Lights (Seat belt warning light now in Blue ;D )

Anyhow, I assume nothing else has been done to it so I plan to change the fuel filter, oil change, and check the engine because white/bluish smoke comes out in the morning only. My instructor has an idea what it is but.. I'm clueless, we'll be taking a look at that on Saturday and problem fix it.

I must say, the car doesn't accelerate that fast compare to my Oldsmobile. I want that to change... How can I improve the acceleration?

Oldblueaccord
02-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I'd buy yourself a good Chiltons manual or the real Helms. Also there alot on this sight if you do some searching. The EFI section has a list of codes and how to check the etc. Im not sure at all on the wiring questions.

wp

Demon1024
02-23-2008, 11:54 PM
first off welcome!
check the faq it has an online manual that will help alot