PDA

View Full Version : Inner Tie Rod Removal

DBMaster
02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a worn out ball and socket joint on my driver's side inner tie rod. I have the part. I have tried three times already to remove the tie rod from the end of the rack. I have flattened out the locking washer, but I cannot get a solid enough grip with a wrench on the flats of the tie rod to loosen it. I have seen some special tools online, but the cost is high enough that I am inclined to just let my mechanic do it.

Is there anyone else here who has replaced an inner tie rod? If so, did you use a special tool, or was there some sort of "trick" to removing it with a wrench?

MessyHonda
02-22-2008, 11:17 PM
i used a open end 17mm wrench even with the washer flat on both sides you can get to the bolt....also move the wheel to the opposite side so the rack sticks out even more.

DBMaster
02-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I did exactly what you are saying. I removed the tie rod end and bellows as well as turning the steering wheel all the way to the right to extend the rack. It is very tight and I cannot break it loose. I was starting to round off the flats so I gave up on that approach. Since there is not dirt or water in the bellows the area is free of rust.

thegreatdane
02-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Try using as large a pipe wrench as you can make room for and grab a good hold of it. Remember to face the pipe wrench the right way of course ;)

AccordB20A
02-24-2008, 01:06 PM
haha i had to pull a rack end off without knowing how to do it cause i sold an accord rack and needed to remove it from a car. what i did was get a screwdriove and a hammer and bent the metal bits out that stop it from undoing itself and then you put a 17mm or 19mm ringspoanner on it and it should simply unscrew.

russiankid
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Also, i found out that cheaper wrenches aren't exactly precise, like the ones that come in a set. Go to Sears or something and get a quality 17mm wrench, that way you will have less of a risk of rounding it off. Also, as thegreatdane mentioned, get a cheater bar of some sort.

DBMaster
02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
The other problem is that to engage the flats the handle of the wrench ends up between the stabilizer bar and the crossmember. I think I am just going to take this one in. I doubt it will cost that much and I am sick of messing with it.

Oldblueaccord
02-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Most times you need a crows foot and a long extention to get the leverage to do it. Possible just drop one side of the rack to gain some working room? Mines been bad a while but I never feel like tackling it.

wp

DBMaster
02-26-2008, 08:13 AM
You got that right! Mine has had play in it for at least 2-3 years. It really hasn't gotten any worse and the car holds an alignment, but it is noisy when the car is cold. All I really have to do is wait for spring and the noise will go away! LOL

I think I will just let my mechanic break it loose. There are times when it is worth it to pay. I looked at some of those crow's foot sockets, but for $50-60 for something I will use once...

DBMaster
03-05-2008, 03:04 PM
I took the car in this morning. It cost me $70 and took the shop about an hour or so. When I replaced the tie rod ends I eyeballed the toe adjustment. I got an alignment today and I was off by 0.36 degrees. Not bad for an eyeball job.

02GTP
03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
not bad at all. u can also just count the turns it took to take the old one off and turn on the new one that many (if its the same length and the alignment isnt messed up already)

MessyHonda
03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
well i put my car back together and my alignment is off...i need to take it in...but it looks really good with low pro tires...i love the stance of my car.

02GTP
03-07-2008, 11:34 PM
kinda sucks the only angle that is adjustable is toe on most hondas. but that is the worst angle for tire wear. did u get a camber kit when u lowered your car?

DBMaster
03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I have heard and read about counting the threads, turns, etc. and measuring before you take off the original tie rod end. I tried that before and was way off. This time I just looked down at the rotor and adjusted the tie rods until the front wheels looked straight. Not bad for a quick and dirty method to get by until an alignment.

MessyHonda
03-08-2008, 10:12 AM
kinda sucks the only angle that is adjustable is toe on most hondas. but that is the worst angle for tire wear. did u get a camber kit when u lowered your car?

yes i have adjustable upper arms....i pulled positive camber now...but i need to get it dialed in....i went to honda and they wanted 173 for an alignment...i laughed while i was walking out the door

DBMaster
03-08-2008, 05:32 PM
What's up with alignments, anyway? I had mine done two years ago, same price as it had been for quite a while, $60. This time it was $110 and I do not have any adjustable camber parts.