PDA

View Full Version : !!!???Transmission Help???!!!

Soopitup
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, so I have a problem... I step on the clutch, no problems getting it into any gears, But when I slap it in any gear besides reverse and let go of the clutch... I get no grab at all, no sounds... But when I slap it in reverse- it makes kinda of a wining noise, yet still no grab.

If I understand correctly, when your clutch is gone, it wont shift into gear, even with the pedal in, and if the clutch cable was broken or loose, it would grind and not go into gear, right??? what could be my problem??? the mechanic at my work said it might be the tranny input shaft... but its only kal-tire, he doesnt know much about honda's at all...

Please, please help me out with this...

AccordEpicenter
02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
check your clutch adjustment, if the cable is too tight the clutch will never engage the disk. If the cable is good, and an axle shaft didnt pop out (does your speedo move at all?) then its gonna be a clutch

Soopitup
02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
check your clutch adjustment, if the cable is too tight the clutch will never engage the disk. If the cable is good, and an axle shaft didnt pop out (does your speedo move at all?) then its gonna be a clutch

Alright....So is there any particular procedure to adjust the clutch cable?
I'll check the axles, hopefully its an easy fix.. the car has been sitting in the driveway for just ove 2 years, so maybe the people left it there cuz the tranny or something was fucked... Like I said, if it was the clutch it shouldn't go into gear right? Cuz I can stick it in gear easily....

russiankid
02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Well if it was the clutch when you depress the clutch the clutch is disengaged from the transmission so you would still be able to put it into gear. To adjust the clutch just make sure the release arm has a little bit of free play.

Soopitup
02-22-2008, 06:48 PM
ok cool, thanks dude, now what about the weird noise i hear when it is in reverse?? kinda of a wining noise.. only in reverse..

russiankid
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
ok cool, thanks dude, now what about the weird noise i hear when it is in reverse?? kinda of a wining noise.. only in reverse..

Not sure i never heard of whining noises when in reverse. I would check the oil level in the tranny and possibly change it as it is old.

Soopitup
02-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Right on dude, yeah its not too loud... just can hear a slight weird noise... I was brain farting earlier when i said it couldnt be the clutch, wow...smoked too many joints..haha but yeah I'll check the clutch cable, the axles...n the fluid... if not I'll be pulling her into work sometime next week and pull the tranny...hope its just a clutch, if not i have a parts car with 5 speed tranny..but it has like 300,000kms, as this car only has 148,000...

MessyHonda
02-23-2008, 12:48 AM
yeah first check the cable. i adjusted mine and it lasted me a bit till i had the money for a better clutch

Soopitup
02-23-2008, 06:35 PM
awsome, thanks for your help, I'm accually just heading over to buddies house to check out the clutch cable n hopefully sort out my lil tranny problem ;) I'll let you know what happens and hopefully figure it out or get some more info for you to maybe help me out with.. lol

Oldblueaccord
02-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Well if it sat for 2 years the clutch disk maybe stuck on the splines from sitting. its wierd that you hear a whirring noise in reverse. Lets us no what you see with the drivetrain and make sure everything is there.

wp

Toneloc5145
02-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Not sure i never heard of whining noises when in reverse. I would check the oil level in the tranny and possibly change it as it is old.

I think maybe he's talking about the gear whine in reverse, which is normal. I believe that the reverse gear is straight cut, which causes that sound.

Soopitup
02-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Haha, no dude, I know what normal noises a transmission makes..hence why I was asking for advice on here...now I checked the clutch cable and it didn't need adjusting....
I did however pull off the tranny filler plug...should i be able to stick my finger in there and have fluid on it? I even stuck a zip tie like 2-3 inches into it and didnt see any fluid on it....would this be my problem? Would filling it up fix my problem? Just wondering....hoping...haha, help would be a appreciated.

forrest89sei
02-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Haha, no dude, I know what normal noises a transmission makes..hence why I was asking for advice on here...now I checked the clutch cable and it didn't need adjusting....
I did however pull off the tranny filler plug...should i be able to stick my finger in there and have fluid on it? I even stuck a zip tie like 2-3 inches into it and didnt see any fluid on it....would this be my problem? Would filling it up fix my problem? Just wondering....hoping...haha, help would be a appreciated.

Yes your LOW on fluid, it should be full to the filler bolt

I'd drain whats in it and replace it with fresh 10W30 or go to a Honda dealer and get some Honda MTF, works better then just 10W30

Soopitup
02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Sweet, so If I change the tranny fluid and make sure its topped off my tranny might want to work? I thought low tranny fluid only affected automatic transmissions?? Or do I stand corrected?

forrest89sei
02-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Well it might help, if the clutch it toast it wont help, but it needs fluid regardless

russiankid
02-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Sweet, so If I change the tranny fluid and make sure its topped off my tranny might want to work? I thought low tranny fluid only affected automatic transmissions?? Or do I stand corrected?
When the fluid is low in these manual transmissions, oil does not get to 5th gear and 5th gear starts to whine and then burns up(this occurs while driving). When you take the fill plug out, you should have oil dripping out, if not, you need to add oil.

Soopitup
02-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Alright, It was running pretty rough while I was checking all this out, therefore i couldn't here all the sounds the tranny could have made.. Just finished cleaning the carb and it still has old gas in the system, need to fill the tank and let it run thru... So any partictular oil work better???

Honestly do you think since it has been sitting for years that it could just be needing some fluid to loosen up?? haha I'm dreaming arent I....

MessyHonda
02-24-2008, 09:07 PM
i only use honda MTF on my trans....it helpes alot. its a new formula...so its better than the GM syncromesh

Soopitup
02-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Well i havent gone there to fill the fluid yet...been busy...I have synthetic 10W30...hope to loosin it all up in there.... anyways my parts car has a 5 speed also..Its an 87 fuel injected motor and has the A2Q5 transmission, are the gear ratios different in this tranny then in my 89 lx tranny on the carbed motor???? I havent checked the trans # on the 89 yet...

And how long would the swap take???, the whole front end is already off the parts car so i could pull the tranny quick... but pullin my tranny, replacing the flywheel and clutch brand new and slapping the other tranny in... I think I could pull it off on a sunday...8 am to dark...just giver shit... or pull it in my shop at work...but we are always busy so it probably couldnt be in for more than an hour at a time....

russiankid
02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
It is pretty easy to pull the tranny if you take your time. The carb'd gears are a bit longer than the fuel injected ones. Carb'd are better for fuel economy and fuel injected are for acceleration.

Soopitup
02-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Sweet, well i dont give a damn about fuel economy...So the fuel injected trans would be my best bet? The year difference wouldn't have a huge impact on the gear ratios?

russiankid
02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Sweet, well i dont give a damn about fuel economy...So the fuel injected trans would be my best bet? The year difference wouldn't have a huge impact on the gear ratios?

I don't think the gear ratios ever changed throughout the years, but i could be wrong. Any A20 trans will work, i don't think people noticed a huge difference between the two.

Soopitup
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I bet there is a post around with info on the gear ratios and differences between trannies, but I havent found it yet tonight...can almost get lost in all these posts, haha I love it!!

The parts car does have over 300,000kms, but the tranny is spotless...almost looks like it had been replaced....but the car has been sitting for who knows how long outside with no front end on it... The tranny in my 89 coupe is just filthy tho! covered in grease n grime...

Would there be a tag on the trans to determine the year it was made or rebuilt(if applicable)???

MessyHonda
02-29-2008, 11:03 PM

well then you need the integra gear swap...i love mine

Soopitup
03-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I bet it took awhile to swap in Integra gears.... That would be bad ass tho :cheers:

Soopitup
03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Alright, back to the point of this post...

I Played around with the car today, it'll go into any gear without me touching the clutch, but it grinds if i try and put it in reverse.... And If my foot is on the clutch, there isn't any movement on the speedo, but if I let out the clutch the speedo bounces a bit, not high or anything, just bounces under the 0. Now that wining noise when i put it in reverse and let out the clutch is accually quite loud if you stick your head under the hood and listen.... something in that tranny is definitly slightly grinding or spinning.... :wtf:

I couldn't put fluid in the tranny... I had a spout..but I'll need some hose, a long flexable funnel or a pump to fill it up...

umm... I think thats all I have for you guys... Definitly want some help with this