PDA

View Full Version : weirdest car problems ever...

Deadhead
02-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Alright guys, i'm hoping some of you may be able to give me some ideas on where to start looking for these problems.

The car is a 1991 Honda Accord LX Automatic

To start with, When i use my left blinker, my speedometer shorts out every time it clicks, making the speedo jump up and down simultaneously with the blinker. I turn off the blinker, it immediately goes back to normal operation.

Second thing, which is beyond anything i've ever had happen lol. I went to try out the cruise control for the first time. I pushed in the 'cruise' button on the dash, then pressed the 'set' button on the steering wheel. Not only did the cruise control not work, but my windshield wipers turned on:wtf:. The wiper switch was in the off position, so I tried to move the switch around to see if i got any response. The wipers would not shut off until i messed with it for some time, and when they did turn off, it was in the "high" setting of the wipers, and it stopped mid way through the windshield. I was able to move the wipers down again by pressing down on the right side control stick off the steering column.

I've since tried to use the cruise control again, to see if i was going crazy or some shit. Sure enough, as soon as i pressed the 'set' button, the wipers went crazy once more.

Also, with the blinker, the bulbs are all perfect; however, the only one that doesn't work is the drivers side front. The drivers side blinker is the one causing interference with the speedometer.

Any ideas where to start looking?

SZfiftyfour
02-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Weird. Has it been your car for a while or did you just get it? Sounds like someone messed with the wires coming from steering column since every thing listed runs through it. May be a few grounds crossed. Or 3geez exorcism is in need?

stat1K
02-22-2008, 09:01 PM
too bad it's a cb7 3geezus can not help this one! i'd replace the cabin harness as the easiest solution... unless you want to cut open harnesses and play with spaghetti!?!?

Deadhead
02-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I bought the car about 4 months ago, it was wrecked in the front. The only real damage was the hood, drivers fender, radiator, and radiator support. The people i bought it from said it was in great shape otherwise, and they never had a problem with it.

but to keep in mind, half the interior pieces were just laying around in the back seat lol. Kid ghetto wired the car for stereo, so that may have something to do with it, being under the dash and all.

stat1K
02-22-2008, 10:23 PM
yeah replace the cabin harness.

Vanilla Sky
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm placing my bet for it being a "flood car."

Deadhead
02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
eh. i doubt it being a flood car; however, they weren't able to roll up the window, so they just had a tarp covering that drivers side window. maybe that let in some water? i dunno, suppose it's something to check out

mykwikcoupe
02-23-2008, 09:00 AM
sounds like they forgot to reattch a ground wire to the chassis or frame some place. My mom in laws s-10 had the same issue as the speedo and it turned out to be the dash harness ground wire bolt(that also held the ebrake into position) came off. It would work till you turned on the exterior lights and everything in the dash wents nuts gauges and all until the ground was fixed.

Id grab a good wiring diagram, pull off the underside dash covers and the radio and start checking for wires that arent connected or have been obviously tampered with. Good luck