PDA

View Full Version : RPM's Going Crazy On Me!

Jonessoda27
02-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey board, i've missed you all but I am here to ask for some help! Lately more than ever when i'm idling and warming up the ride in the morning the RPMs will drop down to 1500 then back up to 2000 over and over again like it's revving itself then it drops down, but this is instantaneous and occurs over and over. Now, even when i put it in drive and coast for a little not to hurt the engine it will do the same thing and go up and down sporadically.

One time at a bowling alley I heard another 3gee doing the same thing and was wondering what this is and how much it would cost to repair!!!!

Thank you for reading and let me know if you need any clarification!

Hauntd ca3
02-23-2008, 02:24 PM
go thru and check all the engine and ecu earth point and make sure they are clean and tight
have seen gen 1 teg do same thing and the ecu earth was loose
tightened it up and it was sweet

conozo
02-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Carb or fuel injection?

if carb, probably a vacuum leak. Check all the vacuum lines and make sure they arent broken or disconnected

Jonessoda27
02-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Carb or fuel injection?

if carb, probably a vacuum leak. Check all the vacuum lines and make sure they arent broken or disconnected

Im rolling an LXi

go thru and check all the engine and ecu earth point and make sure they are clean and tight
have seen gen 1 teg do same thing and the ecu earth was loose
tightened it up and it was sweet

Ecu Earth.... Hmmm....

86ccord
02-23-2008, 06:06 PM
well if its carbed it could be the choke pull off thing going nuts.. maybe? possibly?

Demon1024
02-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Lx-i FI

Check grounds and vacuum leaks first i have a problem with mine now just like that. and the motor before it got that it think the injector leak on mine is causing my problems now...
Does it do it just when warming up? if so check out your fitv. this may help disregard that it's for another year the workings are the same but check for vacuum leaks first it also could be your O2 sensors. any check engine light? look here it's very informative
http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/Badidle.php

2drSE-i
02-24-2008, 09:05 AM
also adjust your fast idle valve, this may be the problem.

LX-incredible
02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
What's the idle speed set at?

Nafs Asdf
02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Mine does that too...
It will idle at around 2000 when cold, and when it warms up a bit (rpm at around 1500) it starts roaming up and down between 800 and 2000. Once it's warm enough, either by itself or stepping on the throttle a few times, it gets normal again.

Demon1024
02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Thats exactly what mine does not while it's cold not once it's warm but from when it' starts to warm up till it's at full operating temp. I'd bet it a vacuum leak i'm going to swap my whole intake to see if it fixes it.
Start simple with hoses then the fitv and iacv and amke sure your throttle body and intake are well seated. Are you injectors leaking?

Dr_Snooz
02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Check your coolant and your Idle Air Control Valve screw. If coolant is low, you'll need to bleed the system properly. If your IACV gets bubbles in it, it will seriously weird out.

AccordB20A
02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
there soo has to be a howto made for this problem EVERYONE has it. to me its known as the "Honda Idle problem" and everyone knows what i mean by it lol. its caused by a vacuum leak... commonly a vacuum leak on purpose from the fast idle valve on the back of the inatek manifold from a poorly bled cooling system. your idle speed can also do it if its adjusted too high, and the fast idle speed. basically you turn the fast idle valve screw right down and see if it stops it. if it doesnt clock the hole in the middle of the fast idle valve, if it stops then no coolant getting thru to the bottom of the fast idle valve is ur issue.
if it keeps doing it you know you have a vacuum leak elsewhere? try turning your idle down. it wont be an engine sensor at fault cause this problem doesnt occur if theres a problem with the tps or map sensor. the idle up and down is caused by the mapo sensor telling the ecu that their is air getting thru the throttlebody. it makes the engine rev up and then the TPS goes NO.. the throttle is shut.. theres no air getting thru and it slows down again. Its rather annoying at traffic lights. no coolant flow is the most common reason. make sure all the piepos arent blocked and your cooling system is bled till theres noo air bubbles.

Dr_Snooz
02-25-2008, 06:42 AM
there soo has to be a howto made for this problem EVERYONE has it. to me its known as the "Honda Idle problem" and everyone knows what i mean by it lol. its caused by a vacuum leak... commonly a vacuum leak on purpose from the fast idle valve on the back of the inatek manifold from a poorly bled cooling system. your idle speed can also do it if its adjusted too high, and the fast idle speed. basically you turn the fast idle valve screw right down and see if it stops it. if it doesnt clock the hole in the middle of the fast idle valve, if it stops then no coolant getting thru to the bottom of the fast idle valve is ur issue.
if it keeps doing it you know you have a vacuum leak elsewhere? try turning your idle down. it wont be an engine sensor at fault cause this problem doesnt occur if theres a problem with the tps or map sensor. the idle up and down is caused by the mapo sensor telling the ecu that their is air getting thru the throttlebody. it makes the engine rev up and then the TPS goes NO.. the throttle is shut.. theres no air getting thru and it slows down again. Its rather annoying at traffic lights. no coolant flow is the most common reason. make sure all the piepos arent blocked and your cooling system is bled till theres noo air bubbles.

Agreed on the need for a how-to. Do you think you'd be up to it? I just know the coolant and IACV screw because that was the problem both times I had the idle issue. I have a vacuum gauge and pump, but am definitely not looking forward to the day I start having to track down leaks. I may just buy 80' of vacuum line and change everything when that starts happening.

Nafs Asdf
02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Well I just replaced my air filter, and it seems to have fixed it to some degree... Can't say for sure as I've only tried to recreate it once so far.
Instead of bobbing between 1k and 2k, it just went up and down a few times in about an 300 rpm range.

Jonessoda27
04-05-2008, 05:35 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED: Replaced the Fast Idle Valve that sits next to the air filter.

Try that. Easy fix, 85 dollar part.

Peace.

Dr_Snooz
04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the follow up, man!