PDA

View Full Version : Compression Specs 88 Accord 2.0

msbweiland
02-24-2008, 09:53 AM
What is considered "decent" compression on a 2.0? I've got 150, 150, 120, 150. TONS of blue smoke under load and some gray when starting up cold and idling. Gray smoke comes back when I idle for a while hot.
Supposedly new head, I'm thinking combo of rings and head gasket. I heard air from the oil filler when I did a leakage test and I can feel pluses of air from there too when the engine is warmed up. No water in the basement.
I thought these engines pushed close to 200 psi when new? Any thoughts?

forrest89sei
02-24-2008, 10:22 AM
160 is normal and 120 is the Limit According to Honda

The Blue smoke could be rings or bad Valve guides

And yes grey to white smoke when HOT sounds like it could be a heatgasket

msbweiland
02-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Kind of what I was thinking. Leakage test was putting air into the valve cover/crankcase. Almost always means bad rings.
Head is supposed to be bran new. I bought it from a friend, his kid overheated the car and he had the head rebuilt. After putting it together he couldn't get it to run. He had the timing belt a tooth off and some vacuum lines swapped. Maybe it's in worse shape than I thought.
I am hoping there wasn't any damage to the block. I think I'm going to pull it out and rebuild it on a stand.

Dr_Snooz
02-24-2008, 03:43 PM
New is 178 psi for FI and 171 for carb. Service limit is 135 psi for both FI and carb. Max variation between any two cylinders should be no more than 28 psi. Be sure to hold the throttle wide open while checking.

steveko
02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Also, make sure the choke is completely open too.Along with being fully warmed up.

I think the high is 171 as mentioned for a carbed and low is I read 142 in the Hayes manual but that isn't coming from the factory book,so not really sure. Mabey someone can chime in and tell us the factory readings I'd be curious too find out myself.

Max variation 28psi are you sure. I thought it was no more than 10% between any of the cylinders.

Dr_Snooz
02-25-2008, 06:31 AM
New is 178 psi for FI and 171 for carb. Service limit is 135 psi for both FI and carb. Max variation between any two cylinders should be no more than 28 psi. Be sure to hold the throttle wide open while checking.

These are from my '89 Honda manual.

msbweiland
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, the cyl walls are scored.:wtf:

CRAP!! How far can you bore these motors? It's got a 1/4" wide x 1/2" long score on #3 that'll catch your fingernail. I am pretty sure it won't hone out. In the words of my favorite cartoon character, DAMMIT, DAMMIT, S.O.B.!!!

The guy I bought it from must have overheated it A LOT more than I thought. Anybody have any experience with cracked blocks on Hondas?:violin:

88Accord-DX
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Well, the cyl walls are scored.:wtf:

CRAP!! How far can you bore these motors? It's got a 1/4" wide x 1/2" long score on #3 that'll catch your fingernail. I am pretty sure it won't hone out.

More than likely, you be able to bore it out .020 & that'll take care of it. Bore all the cylinders to that size. Get some over-sized pistons too.

msbweiland
02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I was hoping to get away from having to bore it. I don't know if the car is worth it or not. Better than losing what I've got into it I guess.
Crud, I'll finish pulling it out and have the block checked before I get too pissed.

steveko
02-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info.
Re: Compression Specs 88 Accord 2.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosenfe

msbweiland
03-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, I got it going. Bored and decked. Runs good now.

Dr_Snooz
03-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Woohoo!!! That's awesome! Did you learn a lot that you'll be able to share with the rest of us?

msbweiland
03-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Biggest thing I learned is to not trust anyone. My friends kid roasted the motor in this before I bought it. The story was that it started to overheat and they pulled over.
BS! With the scoring I saw and the piston damage it had to have been almost siezed up and making a hell of a racket before they shut it down and added some water to get home.
:violin:

I put in A LOT of work for a $1500 dollar car. Glad I only gave $500 for it, but that was still too much. Hopefully I can break even in the next couple of weeks when I try to sell it.