PDA

View Full Version : If your heat is not the greatest try this..........

imjdoggie
02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
try putting some cardboard in front of the radiator, my heat wasn't working too well and this seems to have helped alot. i cut two pieces and fit them in around the hood latch.

MessyHonda
02-26-2008, 12:32 PM
how about you just flush your coolent system. if you block the air flow of the radiator...you might end up with a blown headgasket

GraniteLXI
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Ive seen a few people in town here put cardboard over their grille to block air flow to their radiator, it didn't seem too good of an idea to me either. If your heat isn't working too well you should also try getting your heater core checked out, it may be shot.

thegreatdane
02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Your thermostat is stuck open. Replace it.

imjdoggie
02-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Yea I had it flushed and it didn't help much, I am aware it is probably the heater core but we only have a month or so more of winter here in PA and I only paid 300 bucks for the car so cardboard will work for now.

imjdoggie
02-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Thermostat, you really think that's my problem? It is great when the car is stopped at idle but on the highway or after the car is driving for awhile it goes south......

LX-incredible
02-26-2008, 01:04 PM
It's the thermostat. You can get one and the gasket for $12-$20.

Blkblurr
02-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Yep it's the thermostat. If it's stuck open it will eventually stick closed. Replace it and your heat problems will go away

russiankid
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Just like everyone else said, its the thermostat. If it is stuck open, the engine does not warm up because it constantly gets cooled by the radiator. Putting a cardboard in front of the radiator causes the radiator to heat up which in result heats the whole cooling system up as the radiator does not get cooled down.

Soopitup
02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
still, if you live up north, it is almost stupid not to block some of the cold air flow from going thu the radiator...helps alot, not directly on the rad, but have something infront for sure in the winter... I grew up in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory so ya...-30 is very common..haha

AccordEpicenter
02-26-2008, 01:50 PM
if you drove a diesel it might be a good idea to block airflow to the radiator in extreme cold, but gas engines dont really have problems keeping warm, i think your stat is stuck open

imjdoggie
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Well you were all right it was the thermostat NO THERMOSTAT. Yup there was nothing in there at all so it all makes sense, no heat, temp gauge not working, but hey what do you want for $300. Actually I am closer to $700 now with the new Sony CD player and quiet new exhaust system, slowly but surely I am getting the bugs worked out. Thanks for all your help guys you all rock!!!!

MessyHonda
02-27-2008, 12:18 AM
good to hear...i also had to replace my thermostat

Demon1024
02-27-2008, 01:43 AM
My merc buddy told me bout using card board i thought he was crazy
But down here in arkansas i still think it is.... rather a little to cold than a little to hot!

AccordEpicenter
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
lol, it never gets cold-cold in arkansas

Soopitup
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM
yeah well I'm in Calgary now, no more cold for me, i heard its +30C here all summer... sweet stuff...gonna be out driving all the time!

Demon1024
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
hey, i saw 5 feet of snow..............once
The twisty ass roads with ice on them are fun tho

nelson20
02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi all, new to the forum. What a great site - had no idea there were others like me; I thought I was the only one that wanted to restore a 3rd gen Accord instead of an old Mustang or Corvette.

Anyway, I have similar symptoms of luke warm heat and a very minimal temp reading on my gauge most of the time (except around town) so I'm guessing my thermostat is stuck open. My question: the local dealer doesn't stock the thermostat/gasket and it'll take a week to get it in. Am I ok to drive for the week or should I park the car till I can fix it? Would there be any other problems I could be causing unknowingly by driving it as-is?

Thanks.

xvok
02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi all, new to the forum. What a great site - had no idea there were others like me; I thought I was the only one that wanted to restore a 3rd gen Accord instead of an old Mustang or Corvette.

Anyway, I have similar symptoms of luke warm heat and a very minimal temp reading on my gauge most of the time (except around town) so I'm guessing my thermostat is stuck open. My question: the local dealer doesn't stock the thermostat/gasket and it'll take a week to get it in. Am I ok to drive for the week or should I park the car till I can fix it? Would there be any other problems I could be causing unknowingly by driving it as-is?

Thanks.

you live live in the tri cities man hit up a autozone shucks cutrate one of them will have it in stock or on next day order. your fine for day to day driving no trips if your heat comes on full tilt and you temp sensor goes up the means the you thurmostat is stuck closed don't drive on it then

russiankid
02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, you can get a Stant or Gates thermostat, both are good brands.

nelson20
02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Dealer ended up finding the part close by so it'll be here tomorrow instead. Apparently the Honda thermostat is made by Stant... according to the local Honda dealer.

Thanks guys, I'll watch my temp gauge closely till I fix it.

russiankid
02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Dealer ended up finding the part close by so it'll be here tomorrow instead. Apparently the Honda thermostat is made by Stant... according to the local Honda dealer.

I never had a problem with a Honda one. I have a Gates right now, seems to work well.

MessyHonda
02-29-2008, 10:38 AM
welcome....i also replaced the honda thermostat and it helped alot

SZfiftyfour
02-29-2008, 02:41 PM

welcome to the forum!
Dont let them over-charge you for that stat. it should only be $6-$12. Sounds like someone in the parts dept went to autozone and picked one up. As far as i know Stant is not sold at the honda dealer. If you let them put it on its likely they'll charge you minimum labor of 1hr (like $70)

nelson20
02-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!
Well, the thermostat is around $13 but the gasket is $6. I'll hopefully be changing it out myself assuming I don't screw anything up. I'm not real good at mechanical repairs, but hopefully by the time I get my car restored (in 30 years) I'll have become better at it.

The Thermostat How-to author seemed to strongly recommend Honda genuine parts, thats why I was hesitant to go to Autozone. I don't like doing things twice.