PDA

View Full Version : guess what i found!

evil88accordLX
02-28-2008, 08:34 AM
okay so while peruzing the local craigslist, i saw an add that said 88 accord parts car $250. so i called the guy, turns out its an LX-i hatch, 5 speed, and just needs cv joints. he sent me some pictures, not very good ones, but just from looking the car appears to be in really good physical shape. gonna go check it out this evening and completely go over the car with a fine tooth comb. if i do end up purchasing the car, how time consuming is it to replace the cv joints? ive never had to replace any before.

cubert
02-28-2008, 08:47 AM
okay so while peruzing the local craigslist, i saw an add that said 88 accord parts car $250. so i called the guy, turns out its an LX-i hatch, 5 speed, and just needs cv joints. he sent me some pictures, not very good ones, but just from looking the car appears to be in really good physical shape. gonna go check it out this evening and completely go over the car with a fine tooth comb. if i do end up purchasing the car, how time consuming is it to replace the cv joints? ive never had to replace any before.

they arent that bad to do at all...if its your first time id say plan on at least 2-3 hours for each side...just take your time and get a manual.

russiankid
02-28-2008, 09:56 AM
It would be a good idea to replace the whole axle. To do this you just need to drain the transmission, undo the lower ball joint, tie rod end, and the pinch fork bolt. You will also need to undo the nut(witch is staked) on the knuckle to get the axle off. Then just pop the axle out of the tranny and install the one one.

ghettogeddy
02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
It would be a good idea to replace the whole axle. To do this you just need to drain the transmission, undo the lower ball joint, tie rod end, and the pinch fork bolt. You will also need to undo the nut(witch is staked) on the knuckle to get the axle off. Then just pop the axle out of the tranny and install the one one.

you def want to do the axle nuts first while the car is still on the ground

RamThis
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
you def want to do the axle nuts first while the car is still on the ground

WORD.

That is, if the fucker will even break loose. I broke TWO 1/2" drive breakover bars trying to get my passenger side axle nut loose. I put a torch to that sumbitch, and soaked it with penetrating oil, torched it some more, hit it with my Snap-On 1/2" drive impact wrench at 125 PSI, NOTHING. Gave up for the night. Went back to it the next night, hit it once with the impact, it might as well have been finger tight by then, it spun right off LOL. I couldnt believe it.

AccordEpicenter
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM
i can change both axles in less than an hour with a jack and a jackstand, they arent that hard

Vanilla Sky
02-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Barring any stuck fasteners, It's a 30 minute job (each side) for me. It's not hard, but I'm more than willing to bet that you're going to run into your share of stuck fasteners.

2drSE-i
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Barring any stuck fasteners, It's a 30 minute job (each side) for me. It's not hard, but I'm more than willing to bet that you're going to run into your share of stuck fasteners.

OH YEA! well i can do it in five!

no only kidding, but its not really that bad haha.

Demon1024
02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
you don't have to pop any ball joints just unfasten the upeer one from the frame and if you have to the lower arm from the frame. if you need any help or tools (or parts) hit me up i'm in lowell

I can't believe i missed that i check it almost every day. nicefind man:cheers:

Hauntd ca3
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
shouldnt take too long
takes me an 45 min per side to remove,disassemble the cv completely and get it all back together
i always pop the steering and lower ball joints
only take two min to get the ball joints popped
and yeah def do the hub nut on the ground
3/4 dive breakers and 4 foot bar on it
nothing can resist that

carotman
02-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Anyone remember the pinchfork gallore? I hope the bushing isn't seized.

mykwikcoupe
02-29-2008, 02:45 PM
ive had mine apart so any times on various rigs. with my air tools its about a 45 minute swap both sides. That hub bolt is a bastard. I had one break 4 1/2 breakers bars, 2 high impact sockets and finally bent a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 6 ft pole and my 200 lb ass jumping on it. Its the worst Ive done. most are pretty easy

ZackieDarko
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM
USE A FUCKING TQ WRENCH WHEN YOU PUT THE AXLE NUT BACK ON

you will DESTROY your wheelbearing if you do not do this

135ftlbs is ALL YOU NEED TO TIGHTEN IT DOWN

evil88accordLX
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
well unfortunately i was unable to purchase the car. i caught the flu thursday night and was unable to go see it, and some dude bought it on saturday. however, apparently he is doing some kind of hydrogen powered experiment with it, so maybe something good wiill come out of it for him. or it could explode into a million firey pieces! that would be cool.....

Rich87HB
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
damn i need a nice new body........hopefully he changes it into a hydrogen 3g power house

1ajs
03-04-2008, 10:44 PM
cv joint eh not hard while yer in there have a look at all the other parts and see if anything is in need of a greeasing or replacement and make a list might be esayer to get a wac of new parts and just take the old ones out all together

Demon1024
03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Still got two i'm getting rid of. needs quite a bit more more than cv axles tho