PDA

View Full Version : cracked head?

AccordChemist
09-19-2002, 04:39 PM
ok about a month ago i noticed coolant in my oil, so i changed my headgasket. the old one was in good shape so i checked the head for warpage and it was good, but then i just carefully looked it over for cracks and didnt see nuthin. so i put it all back together and im still losing coolant and its in my oil. i did a compression test and both outside cylinders (1 and 4) both read 180 while the middle two (2 and 3) both read 150... so do you all agree that my head is cracked?

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-19-2002, 08:01 PM
I'd say either cracked or warped, or both. If you didn't have the head resurfaced, that's probably the problem. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have the head resurfaced when you do a headgasket, especially if it had overheated. They can also do a pressure test, magnaflux, etc to make sure the head is in tip top shape before you reinstall it.

:)

offthahook
09-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Yeah, whenever you remove the head, take it to a machine shop like Jared said. They can clean it up, run a pressure test and do what needs to be done. I'd do it with a quickness now or you gonna ruin the lower part of that engine.

YK86
09-19-2002, 10:34 PM
The proper way to test for a cracked head is a pressure test like offthahook said. That will tell you if any of the internal passages where you can't see are cracked or starting to rot.

offthahook
09-20-2002, 07:30 PM
Also, make sure they use GLASS beads when they clean the head. Sand beads will clog up and get in your engine. Then, that will mess up your WHOLE engine!! Glass is good, sand is bad. They should know that, too.