PDA

View Full Version : Help with a few problems.(85)

PORTnPOLISH97
03-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Well my 85 has been reliable to me and I need her to keep on going for me. I changed the spark plugs yesterday, And I didnt gap them that was mistake 1. I also accidently pulled off 2 vacuum hoses that look like they connect to where the distibuter cap bolts on. I Dont know which on go's where. There are 2, and it runs really bad without them connected. also I have had this really bad back fire since I had it and I am thinking it is a timing problem. I dont know my around these engines really well so when I read the wright up I didnt get much of it. How can I fix these problems?

russiankid
03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
The hoses should be labeled #2 and #25, that is if you have a carburetor. These hoses go to the vacuum advance diaphragm which is the black or silver round object sticking out of the distributor. #2 hose connects closest to the distributor, and #25 is the outer connection.

Take your plugs out and gap them correctly.

PORTnPOLISH97
03-01-2008, 08:59 AM
I found a vacuum diagram and i fixed that. I still need to figure out how to fix the back fire and the mis at idle. It runs then every couple of seconds it lets out a litttle pwah niose. like wahwahwahwahwahwahwahpwahwahwahpwahwahwahwahwah.
I have NO experiance with these damn cars.
EDIT: of yeah I get bad MPG and my car almost dies if I push the break in and out

Ichiban
03-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you still have a vacuum leak. How does it smell? Though with poor mileage I doubt it's running lean.

russiankid
03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Did you gap the plugs? Also spray some carb cleaner on vacuum lines, if the idle becomes better after spraying in one area check that area for bad lines as the carb cleaner will seal the crack for a couple of seconds so there isn't a leak.

Ichiban
03-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Did you gap the plugs? Also spray some carb cleaner on vacuum lines, if the idle becomes better after spraying in one area check that area for bad lines as the carb cleaner will seal the crack for a couple of seconds so there isn't a leak.

Uh, the carb cleaner actually provides fuel through the leak, changing the mixture and the way the engine runs. Otherwise, people would spray water to find vacuum leaks, not their 5 dollar can of carb cleaner.

russiankid
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Uh, the carb cleaner actually provides fuel through the leak, changing the mixture and the way the engine runs. Otherwise, people would spray water to find vacuum leaks, not their 5 dollar can of carb cleaner.
I always thought it sealed it up for a second or two.

Dr_Snooz
03-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Try checking the timing.