PDA

View Full Version : Prelude Adjustable Upper Arms

mushroom_toy
03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Ok I realize now that I definitely need a set of these as my camber is eating up the little tread left on the tires I have right now. To make sure, which year Prelude do I need the arms from. The 85-87 or the 89-up?

Catalyst
03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Pretty sure its the 84-87 2nd gen prelude. Here is a thread on all the stuff you need, and how to do it.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57131

Good luck finding those arms though, they are becoming harder and harder to find lately.

MessyHonda
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
il take pics of mine

Demon1024
03-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I can get them here at any auto store.i've been pricing them for a while but other stuff always comes up

2oodoor
03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I saw a bunch of those last weekend at JY both 2nd and 3rd Gen, the upper control arms looked pretty close to the same on both?? Can you use either one?

sad to say I did not see any tokikos or konis on anything..:)

mushroom_toy
03-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I saw a bunch of those last weekend at JY both 2nd and 3rd Gen, the upper control arms looked pretty close to the same on both?? Can you use either one?

Yeah theres 2 87s, and a bunch of others at the jy im going to tomorrow, and they do look similar. I hope I end up with a decent set. :)

rustlude87
03-09-2008, 07:13 AM
camber wont eat up your tires its the toe and caster that will just go get it aligned

2oodoor
03-09-2008, 10:39 AM
^^^^ I beg to differ^^^^
once you turn the wheels and put force against them , they get worn in the same places as incorrect caster and toe in would. True you could have some negative (hell even positive) camber and not get too bad of tire wear on some cars but I bet if you use an infrared thermometer on them after a good drive you would read considerable hot spots.

AccordB20A
03-09-2008, 12:34 PM
if you have camber your tires will EVENTUALLY wear where the rubber meats the road. Mainly if its on the front cause camber = less tyre surface meeting the road = lots of wheelspin when launching hard. tends to wear the inside of your tires down but it takes ages. a set of tyres will still last ages with camber

mushroom_toy
03-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I can agree with roodoo, and yes camber is eating away at my tires. Even riding around on 30% tires I can tell camber has been eating them up on the inside at abot a 50% higher rate than the middle/outside of the tire.

I couldnt get the prelude arms cause they wanted to rip me off at the jy, so now Im looking into other alternatives, but none I can find decently cheap....I desperately need new tires though, and before that I have to have a camber kit so they will not eat the new tires I buy up.

race12001
03-09-2008, 01:29 PM
yea camber deffanetly eats up your tires thats why in big money races we always keep a couple of sets laying around it will eat them up fast too if the camber is too negative

frantik
03-09-2008, 02:12 PM

no you can only use 2g prelude arms theres a thread on why 3g prelude ones don't work

and mushroom how much did they want for the arms at the JY?

mushroom_toy
03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
no you can only use 2g prelude arms theres a thread on why 3g prelude ones don't work

and mushroom how much did they want for the arms at the JY?

$30 a piece with destroyed balljoints. The sad thing is they didnt even have them on the parts list so I though I was gonna get away with em cheap. After about 20 minutes arguing with them and telling them they were not trailing arms, and after getting the manager involved, i set the arms down, cussed a bit, and walked out.

frantik
03-09-2008, 06:07 PM
yeah i think mine were $15 each but on a 1/2 off day. next time remove the ball joints first.. actually it should be easier to pull them that way cause you dont need to separate the joint and it's only two bolts holding the ball joint on.

next 1/2 off day i should go pick up a bunch of prelude arms

mushroom_toy
03-09-2008, 07:13 PM
yeah i think mine were $15 each but on a 1/2 off day. next time remove the ball joints first.. actually it should be easier to pull them that way cause you dont need to separate the joint and it's only two bolts holding the ball joint on.

next 1/2 off day i should go pick up a bunch of prelude arms

Eh usually pullaprt is ok, but since they dont have upper control arm or balljoint listed, and wanted rediculous prices for em forget that. I might just buy a brand new kit or mod a skunk2 kit for the accord or somthing.

Oldblueaccord
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Theres Troy's Honda parts outside of Tuscaloosa AL. They just do Honda's. I dunno how close you are to them.

Did you replace the wheel bearing that was bad?

wp

mushroom_toy
03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Theres Troy's Honda parts outside of Tuscaloosa AL. They just do Honda's. I dunno how close you are to them.

Did you replace the wheel bearing that was bad?

wp

IM in Georgia, so that place in al is a no go lol. And nah havent done the rear wheel bearing cause Im installing my rear discs this week that have good wheel bearings in em.

mykwikcoupe
03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I think Ive got a set of prelude arms i was gonna use on my car. I decided to go with an actual kit instead so I think i paid 20 for them. that plus shipping would make me happy.

mushroom_toy
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Got my upper arms today for $9.56 for both of em...just gotta get some new balljoints, and some washers and next week theyll be in.