PDA

View Full Version : Front end vibration (cont) /Keep or not keep?

AC439
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
This is to follow my previous posting about front end vibration even after tire and wheel balancing.

In last thread, many of you suggested the LCA bushings. I have limited tools, time and money so I have not been able to do anything yet. Yesterday, I had a 160 miles trip on my 3g mostly on interstate. The front end vibrated badly on the first 80 miles of trip at 70 MPH. On the return trip, the car had much less vibration but it comes and goes. During the no vibration period, it drove smooth like it was before. But when the vibration comes back, it shakes the car.

I'm now also thinking should I keep this car or not. I have this car for 14.5 years and it has been faithful until it started to show some signs of aging lately. The other major issues are:- (1) A crack in the windshield. (2) Leaking coolant from the timing belt cover area. (3) Cooling system: It seems to me that is a leak between the cooling system inside the engine so engine oil can get into the coolant. (4) Exterior paint in bad shape (messed up by Maac0). (5) Power door locks making loud sound when locking. (6) Water leaking into the carpet area of the front passenger side. (7) Shocks and struts are very old. (8) Front end vibration probably need to change all LCA and UCA.

I know fixing the above are expensive. What do you guys think? Thoughts?

- AC

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Well its your call really. for me a car that runs and is paid for is worth something. I guess if you can keep it just running laying around it be a good spare car for local commutes etc. If its just a total pia to have it hanging around then dump it off on someone.

If it was carbed I might be interested if it were realtivly close to me.

As far as vibration is prolly something related to the suspension/worn bushings. But for you it might not be worth all the hassle to fix it up.

wp

AccordB20A
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
me being mechanical minded i would prolly fix it. a good running car is a good running car. if you can find the parts fixing it shouldnt really be that hard

nfs480
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I'd fix it. This thing has been so reliable for me that it's almost better to fix it than to fix a newer car. But it really is up to you. If you love it enough, i'd say fix it. Otherwise sell it to someone else (preferably someone who would enthusiastically care for it).

Blkblurr
03-04-2008, 09:05 AM
How much is a new car going to cost you? That's why i keep spending money on my SE-i when needed.

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Honestly, the car isn't worth what it would cost you to fix it. I'm in the same boat. However, having driven other, newer cars in better condition, I've returned to this one. I can't put a price on a car that makes me smile every time I drive it and one that is totally reliable, cheap, dependable, faithful and true. I won't find that with any other car, so I keep fixing the '89.

paullouisf
03-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Honestly, the car isn't worth what it would cost you to fix it. I'm in the same boat. However, having driven other, newer cars in better condition, I've returned to this one. I can't put a price on a car that makes me smile every time I drive it and one that is totally reliable, cheap, dependable, faithful and true. I won't find that with any other car, so I keep fixing the '89.
I have an 86 Lxi with bad front end vibration. Mine is bad left and right outer CV joints. I am also debating whether to fix it or sell it. It has only 115,000 miles so it should have a lot of life left in it.

russiankid
03-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Go to a mechanic and get some estimates of the repairs and then decide.

cubert
03-08-2008, 04:53 PM
youve got your moneys worth out of the car obviously...i personally would move on to something newer/less (no) work needed

Civic Accord Honda
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
keep it andfix it (Y)

MessyHonda
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I have an 86 Lxi with bad front end vibration. Mine is bad left and right outer CV joints. I am also debating whether to fix it or sell it. It has only 115,000 miles so it should have a lot of life left in it.

dude if you were here i would tell you to stop by my house and do it.....i have replaced my axles 2 times in my car....and i love em..good quality from napa