PDA

View Full Version : Strange Vacuum Problem & More

Riverman
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks to you guys my dad and I have managed to fix some fairly serious oil leaks on our old '88 Accord LXi, but now it has some other problems. As it gets closer to 300,000 miles, it seems to be falling apart...

Does anyone know what might cause the hose that goes from the PCV valve to the throttle body to collapse? If you pull the hose off or try to squeeze it back into shape, the engine about dies. The entire PCV system, including the hoses, was replaced last summer. We think this might be related to why the car doesn't idle quite right anymore. It's a little lumpy and hangs up from time to time when you let off the gas.

Also, the oil has turned to milky sludge and the car can go through a gallon of water in a couple of days. Nothing seems to be leaking on the ground. Is this just a failed head gasket?

Third, how hard is it to replace the shocks, and does anyone have a favorite inexpensive brand? It's still riding on the originals, and while the ride is still good, I'm sure it would be quite a bit better with new ones.

Thanks for your help!

2drSE-i
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Tokico is a good replacement brand for shocks, they are a bit stiffer than stock. If the oil is turning milky, and there is nothing on the ground then its the headgasket for sure. Dont know anything about the PCV system...sorry

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Milky sludge and loss of coollant sounds like blown head gasket.

wp