PDA

View Full Version : Dies on initial startup revisited.

steveko
03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I noticed that my car still dies on the first start.This is when it's like anywhere from 15 to40degrees out.Also, it seems that when it get's warmer like it was today 60deg. it does'nt die but starts at a lower RPM the finally reaches fast idle speed after about 20-30seconds depends on outside temps. Point being it does'nt immediatley jump on the fast idle like it should. How would I know if it's the choke or fast idle although it may be the choke the inner port on vaccum line 26 when connected has vaccum when warming up is this right?

2oodoor
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
It is hard to explain but I will try, there are a number of controls you should look into. the only way to do it is to remove the air cleaner assembly, plug off the vac lines associated with the air cleaner. Watch what is happening when the car goes thru the choke cycle. The dumbest thing about these carbs is the fast idle controls are separate from the choke controls.
Banning any cold weather issues, if you still have the same problem with dying after start up, it could be fuel pump and evap system, and ignition coil circuit. You need to isolate the correct operation of all these before you can make a bullseye diagnoses.

steveko
03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Haven't had time too look at it yet.--But I'll reply when I get time. Thanks for you're response roodoo2.

steveko
04-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, I've taken the time too watch the fast idle cam the electric choke and the vaccum operated choke. Although it was warm out and did not die like it does when it's cold. I started with the fast idle rising from 1700rpm too 2500rpm where I set the fast idle at initially.
The electric choke works properly.When warm the vaccum operated choke tang is fully seated against the carb body.It's funny the book tells you how too adjust the linkage which I did last year. But It does'nt say how it operates from start too operating temp this would be a big help for me and anyone else with these issues.

Could the linkage be sticking slightly from the lithium grease I put on the linkage and slowly reaching fast Idle set rpms?